• Hudson-Odoi
    • Mount
    • Werner
    • Giroud
    • Emerson (sub)
    • Kante (sub)
    • Abraham (sub)

3 hours ago, Hutcho said:

Last season we conceded the 3rd least amount of shots but a shit ton of goals. Our keeper was a big reason for that.

Again we exceeded expectations. We dropped 6 points after losing hazard. We were expected to drop a lot more so I don't get that argument at all. We pissed away points for sure as did many teams. We were always going to. It was an in experienced team with a shaky defence and a historically shit keeper. It was expected.

Sure we had a lot to work on defensively but that was always the case and unless we Sarri balled it up then we were gonna be more open the way we were trying to play going forward.

So again, he earned this season with his guys. 2.5 weeks in the season isn't the time for the lampard out shite.

Sure he has made errors and I am not arguing that. But you can't judge the first 5 games of the season as if its the be all and end all.

Wolves lost 4 nil to West ham are they shit now? City lost 5 2 to leciester. United have performed shockingly since the start if the season. The only team solid and consistent is Liverpool.

5 games is nothing and a team with a shit ton of new people is gonna take some time to work as it always was. So we can't judge anything yet. Let's have 6 games with keepers who don't let everything that comes their way in and our new defenders and see how our defence looks.

I think most want Lamp to succeed, he will be given chances but everyone want to see something of what he want to do with this team. 

Yes we have expected starter like ziyech and Puli still injured but it is hard to use that as an excuse as we have a very2 deep team.

2 hours ago, hiterto said:

My Take on the game:

1) I am afarid Kovacic just does not do anything for the team. He loses ball often, runs about like a headless chicken.

2) Werner is not going to succeed as a left winger. He is a staring up centre forward and that is his best position. So really its him or Tammy, they cannot be played together.

3) We are still probably 16th or 17th best in defence in EPL. We have a very long way to go. Chilwell and Mendy are a welcome addition,. Just hope Frank gets the back four right and sticks to them rather than changing every game.

4) Our off the ball positioning in the front is still very poor, no better than last year. We have the personnel just need to get them clicking.

5) Don't really care about the loss lets focus on EPL and good Champions League run. Lets drop out of FA cup early. 

6) The team is very much in transition and I think if they are up to the task, we will see a slick team early next year barring injuries.

1. I think Kova Will be better once the elite front 4 is in place. He’s the only midfielder who can pass forward worth a damn.

2 & 3 Agree. I really wish Frank would hire a wise head defensive guru. It can’t all be lack of talent in the back line. It just seems like a lot of it is about organization, confidence, and things that are in coaches’ domain.

I can't blame CHO/Mount for not killing the game of., they don't yet have the IQ of Pulisic/Hazard to kill the game off..nor will I blame Emerson, because its well established that he's a lazy ass defender.

I think Lampard underestimated Spurs and Mourinho in that second half.

He took the second half way too lightly, despite it being obvious Spurs were taking complete control and had yet to bring on their big guns in Kane/Moura.

I can understand him saving Chillwell for the weekend, but for me he should have made a substitution for Mount instead of bringing Tammy on. Our attacking play through the middle was almost non-existent in that second half. Kante, who reinjected some pace back into our game, was also brought on too late for me.

On a positive note, Mendy made some really good saves today from open play. Hope he can really do a job for us, moving forward.

Werner should play down the middle again with Havertz behind him. Hopefully, on Saturday we will see this.

This season was always going to take a while to get going. Players don't have an attacking plan at the moment. The end of the game told you everything. Team held possession for a good few minutes but went nowhere with it except for side to side.

6 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

I think Lampard should not be sacked but 'promoted' to some management capacity that involves scouting and recruiting of players. Here, his record speaks for itself. At some point he might even come out as a decent manager but IMO his true forte is politics and management. He does not enjoy the day-job of coaching drills and all the repetitive micro-managing that comes with it. Also, I think to be successful as a coach you need to be a bit crazy like Conte, Klopp, Pep all are. I always saw JT as coach and Lampard as executive director of the club.

Not saying I disagree with you, but how in the hell do you know that?

Also as a side note, I'm a big fan of the Zouma-Tomori CB partnership. Thought the pair of them did really well today.

I think it was the best defensive partnership from last season, and it coincided with our winning streak last year.

I know Silva is likely to start more often in the coming games, but I hope to see Zouma-Tomori start games as well.

6 minutes ago, Strike said:

Werner should play down the middle again with Havertz behind him. Hopefully, on Saturday we will see this.

This season was always going to take a while to get going. Players don't have an attacking plan at the moment. The end of the game told you everything. Team held possession for a good few minutes but went nowhere with it except for side to side.

Hopefully yes, especially if Pulisic also makes his return.

I just hope Lampard doesn't try to please members of his squad and shuffle them around to just accommodate all of them. That's my big worry.

6 hours ago, Jason said:

But with Lampard? Sure, some players are out at the moment but he's been here for over a year and every match is basically a guessing game over the system, game plan and starting XI. It's hard to know what he is trying to do and what to expect anymore when there is no consistency whatsoever.

Out of curiousity, how not having a steady "system" or a starting Xl an issue for us? 

Last season we did finish 4th (obviously not per our standards) with the so called not steady plan ... If we finish over that this time around how does it matter till the time it's being delivered. 

Lampard seems to play the ultra press game through the middle while trying an overload in the opposition half, for that he uses different formations. The problem I see is that we are not clincal when it comes to finishing. 

20 minutes ago, coolhead23 said:

Out of curiousity, how not having a steady "system" or a starting Xl an issue for us? 

How does one expect the team to form any sort of cohesion, understanding and team chemistry, especially when there are new players, when the team and system are being constantly changed in every single game? How many of the other top teams out there chop and change as often as we do?

21 minutes ago, coolhead23 said:

Last season we did finish 4th (obviously not per our standards) with the so called not steady plan ... If we finish over that this time around how does it matter till the time it's being delivered. 

Because we want to see progression? Because we want to have a way of playing, an identity? You watch us these days or over the last few months, can you tell what our playing style is? You look at some of the other big teams and you can tell what their playing style is and what to expect from them. Do we know that of ours? Under past managers like Mourinho, Conte, Sarri, their football wasn't the most exciting but the way of playing was there, the identity was there. Can the same be said about Lampard?

24 minutes ago, coolhead23 said:

Lampard seems to play the ultra press game through the middle while trying an overload in the opposition half, for that he uses different formations. The problem I see is that we are not clincal when it comes to finishing. 

Funny thing is, our pressing game has rarely come off. We don't press effectively as a team and we only press in parts of the game as opposed to sustained pressure throughout. And no, chopping and changing formations for this do not make sense. Liverpool, for example, rarely ever changed their formation and their pressing game is on the money every time. 

5 minutes ago, Jason said:

How does one expect the team to form any sort of cohesion, understanding and team chemistry, especially when there are new players, when the team and system are being constantly changed in every single game? How many of the other top teams out there chop and change as often as we do?

The bigger point I was making is that why are expecting that the coaching staff along with the Manager doesnt have a plan. Maybe we dont see it or everyone has a different interpretation about it. At the end of the day, Lampard's head is on the line not yours or mine. 

8 minutes ago, Jason said:

Because we want to see progression? Because we want to have a way of playing, an identity? You watch us these days or over the last few months, can you tell what our playing style is? You look at some of the other big teams and you can tell what their playing style is and what to expect from them. Do we know that of ours? Under past managers like Mourinho, Conte, Sarri, their football wasn't the most exciting but the way of playing was there, the identity was there. Can the same be said about Lampard?

Again how does it matter if Lampard is able to achive better than last season. If he does, isnt that Progression!!! All the other managers which u have mentioned are in the limelight for some time now and have a style they have prefected over a period of time. Not saying Lampard doesnt has one, Lampard is wanting to play free flowing attacking brand of football ... has he prefected it, not even remotely or maybe he is the one who wants to try different things at different times. 

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

Funny thing is, our pressing game has rarely come off. We don't press effectively as a team and we only press in parts of the game as opposed to sustained pressure throughout. And no, chopping and changing formations for this do not make sense. Liverpool, for example, rarely ever changed their formation and their pressing game is on the money every time. 

That I'm completely aligned with and seems there are gaps which needs to be filled if he has to continue with that gameplan. We really dont know what is going in Lampard's head and like I said if he doesnt deliver it is going to be his head. But completely writing him off and saying he doesnt has a plan is just pure ranting for the heck of it. 

And lets not talk about Klopp's Liverpool because it is not a fair comparsion ... he has being pretty much built the team and for the last 2 years has the prefect players to drive his system. I very well remember the stick that he got during his first year. 

1 minute ago, coolhead23 said:

The bigger point I was making is that why are expecting that the coaching staff along with the Manager doesnt have a plan. Maybe we dont see it or everyone has a different interpretation about it. At the end of the day, Lampard's head is on the line not yours or mine. 

I don't get the point you're trying to make here.

2 minutes ago, coolhead23 said:

Again how does it matter if Lampard is able to achive better than last season. If he does, isnt that Progression!!! All the other managers which u have mentioned are in the limelight for some time now and have a style they have prefected over a period of time. Not saying Lampard doesnt has one, Lampard is wanting to play free flowing attacking brand of football ... has he prefected it, not even remotely or maybe he is the one who wants to try different things at different times. 

Because if we want to take a long term approach to things, then progression has to be more than just results, no?

Lampard can talk about how he wants to play and this and that but it's one thing to talk, talk and talk, it's another to put it into practice. Right now, there is a lot unconvincing things we are seeing and we are more than a year into his regime here, not over a month.

4 minutes ago, coolhead23 said:

That I'm completely aligned with and seems there are gaps which needs to be filled if he has to continue with that gameplan. We really dont know what is going in Lampard's head and like I said if he doesnt deliver it is going to be his head. But completely writing him off and saying he doesnt has a plan is just pure ranting for the heck of it. 

The problem is Lampard hasn't done this before. He hasn't managed a club at the highest level and hasn't managed high profile players before. He basically doesn't have a track record and we have nothing to fall back on now to say "right, things are now a bit tricky but because he has done this and that in the past, we know things will turn out alright". We can only judge and evaluate his work based on what we see out there in every match. There is only hope or maybe even blind faith that things will turn out fine under Lampard after the unconvincing stuff that we have seen so far. 

26 minutes ago, Jason said:

Pressing in parts of the game is how pressing is done otherwise you run out of steam. Bayern press maybe 25% of the time they don’t have the ball. I think it worked pretty well in the first half. Spurs always lumped the ball up the pitch.

our system is 4231 with the 3 interchanging ans this season. Lots of fullback underlaps, crossing and cut backs. I think there is a clear, idea just not being executed well

I think the idea of how we play is getting is clearer by the day

Just now, Magic Lamps said:

Pressing in parts of the game is how pressing is done otherwise you run out of steam. Bayern press maybe 25% of the time they don’t have the ball. I think it worked pretty well in the first half. Spurs always lumped the ball up the pitch.

our system is 4231 with the 3 interchanging ans this season. Lots of fullback underlaps, crossing and cut backs. I think there is a clear, idea just not being executed well

I think the idea of how we play is getting is clearer by the day

But we try to press on the front foot as opposed to say sitting back and only pressing when the opposition get into certain areas of our half. 

And it's one thing to press in parts of the game, it's another to press together as a team. I can see the attacking players try to press but the midfielders and defenders just don't do the same. The collective pressing isn't there. It's little wonder why we get passed around and our defence is gotten at so easily every time. 

really pleased with Wendy, barring the one little slip through his hand error he was really good. Controlled the area very well and I am sure going forward he can't be worse than Krapa.

The game itself was frustrating as fuck AGAIN!! The one moment that sticks out is Mount breaking away and kicks the fucking ball straight at the CB, and as it went on I kept saying to my lad we will be punished, and we did, it happens all the time in football.

Screaming Ziyech and Pulisic is all well and good but the fact remains they aren't ready and there was enough pure talent on that pitch and how dominant we were to finish that Spurs side off. For me we bottled it last night, we are becoming a soft touch without a spine or direction of starting 11.

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

I don't get the point you're trying to make here.

The point is that they dont have to come out and tell the world what is the plan ... It is left best to your imagination, if you cant see it ... fair enough, they wouldnt stop. 

9 minutes ago, Jason said:

Because if we want to take a long term approach to things, then progression has to be more than just results, no?

Lampard can talk about how he wants to play and this and that but it's one thing to talk, talk and talk, it's another to put it into practice. Right now, there is a lot unconvincing things we are seeing and we are more than a year into his regime here, not over a month.

The problem is Lampard hasn't done this before. He hasn't managed a club at the highest level and hasn't managed high profile players before. He basically doesn't have a track record and we have nothing to fall back on now to say "right, things are now a bit tricky but because he has done this and that in the past, we know things will turn out alright". We can only judge and evaluate his work based on what we see out there in every match. There is only hope or maybe even blind faith that things will turn out fine under Lampard after the unconvincing stuff that we have seen so far. 

I dont get your point ... in one instance you cry that he doesnt has a plan and compare him to likes of managers who have a definte styles and now you're sort of sympathetic that he doesnt have much years under his belt. 

As I said before, I'm sure Lampard knows what he is doing (I get his gameplan he is trying to put up) and if he doesnt it is going to be his head on the line. And we will have a new manager and the discussion will carry on like how we have been doing all these years post a bad game.