• Werner
    • Giroud
    • Emerson (sub)
    • Kante (sub)
    • Abraham (sub)

the system is pissing them away
and you are damn right, Emerson should NEVER have been on the pitch
yet another very poor Lamps sub
Yes, but he was resting chillwell coming back from injury. If he got injured everyone would have said that he should have eased him in. So I get his reasoning. I would have done it but I get it.

I don't get that about how a system is pissing them away. We don't even have our wingers back yet. We can't talk about our system as we need wingers to effectively play it.

And last season was the same team as Sarri barring no hazard which is a big loss.
We conceded 15 more goals and scored 6 more.
Kepa also had the worst season of all time being 12 goals under expected goals conceded. He was slightly below average the Sarri year. So unless we are blaming Frank on kepa going to full shit that accounts for a lot of it. We also played a lot more open due to us trying to be more attacking with the youth and we scored more than a team with hazard so not too bad.

Now were we more naive... Yes. Has he made some weird selections, and tactical changes and subs... All yes. But you cant just judge 1 season and 5 games of a new season and put it all on lampard.

As I said in reply to someone else. He has had a window and has brought in some players to help. We will see in the coming weeks after the international break how we are doing and then go from there. But this is his seasons to improve it and kick on from last. Everyone including him knows roman won't put up with it if we don't improve.

5 games in isn't when people should be writing him off.

3 minutes ago, Hutcho said:

Yes, but he was resting chillwell coming back from injury. If he got injured everyone would have said that he should have eased him in. So I get his reasoning. I would have done it but I get it.

I don't get that about how a system is pissing them away. We don't even have our wingers back yet. We can't talk about our system as we need wingers to effectively play it.

And last season was the same team as Sarri barring no hazard which is a big loss.
We conceded 15 more goals and scored 6 more.
Kepa also had the worst season of all time being 12 goals under expected goals conceded. He was slightly below average the Sarri year. So unless we are blaming Frank on kepa going to full shit that accounts for a lot of it. We also played a lot more open due to us trying to be more attacking with the youth and we scored more than a team with hazard so not too bad.

Now were we more naive... Yes. Has he made some weird selections, and tactical changes and subs... All yes. But you cant just judge 1 season and 5 games of a new season and put it all on lampard.

As I said in reply to someone else. He has had a window and has brought in some players to help. We will see in the coming weeks after the international break how we are doing and then go from there. But this is his seasons to improve it and kick on from last. Everyone including him knows roman won't put up with it if we don't improve.

5 games in isn't when people should be writing him off.

its far more than 5 games in

its far more than 5 games in

Brighton. Pool. Barnsley. West Brom. Spurs. 

5 games since he's had a window and been able to bring in players etc as I said. It's been 5 games.

Last season we exceeded expectations as well by the way as we were written off from the start without hazard. I know it's easy for everyone to forget that. No one thought we'd get top 4.

All this  talk reminds of the famous deabte of the seventies with the slogan "bring back the wingers".
But if sir Alf brought back the wingers he would also have to talk the opposition into leaving empty spaces for them.
Obviously it's not Frank's fault when the ball slips under Tiago Silva's foot and we saw a certain improvement defense-wise today.
But there is no Eden in the team anymore and no Didier Drogba to perform magic.
The new star Havertz did not even play today. At least we got Timo who is going the prove the better of Diego. Wait and see.

13 minutes ago, Hutcho said:

Brighton. Pool. Barnsley. West Brom. Spurs. 

5 games since he's had a window and been able to bring in players etc as I said. It's been 5 games.

Last season we exceeded expectations as well by the way as we were written off from the start without hazard. I know it's easy for everyone to forget that. No one thought we'd get top 4.

last season we were horrific on defence and once again relied on collapses by other teams to sneak in the back door to the top 4

we had 13 or 14 horrid league games against shit teams where we pissed away 20 plus points

search the site, I listed them and and in detail

I will start you out

the NUFC last kick of the game choke deluxe

West Ham also doing the double on us via shit defensive chokes

Am really puzzled by how much the missing players are being used as an excuse for Lampard and for our poor displays so far. Sure, we will be better when the likes of Pulisic, Ziyech are back to full fitness but is their absence really an excuse for how clueless we have looked, how we do not look to have an identity? Whenever we play now, does anyone have any idea how we are going to play, what's our general game plan gonna be like, what's our system etc? Compare Lampard to our previous 3 permanent managers - Mourinho, Conte and Sarri. They didn't have the right players they want but immediately, we could at least tell how they want us to play. They set about their system, ideas, game plan etc. With Mourinho, it was 4-2-3-1 and it was pragmatic. With Conte, it was 3-4-3 and it was pragmatic. With Sarri, it was 4-3-3 and he wanted us to dominate possession and attack the opposition. They weren't always pretty and am sure we have been frustrated by them at one point or another but at least the plan, the system, the idea were there. But with Lampard? Sure, some players are out at the moment but he's been here for over a year and every match is basically a guessing game over the system, game plan and starting XI. It's hard to know what he is trying to do and what to expect anymore when there is no consistency whatsoever.

last season we were horrific on defence and once again relied on collapses by other teams to sneak in the back door to the top 4 we had 13 or 14 horrid league games against shit teams where we pissed away 20 plus points

search the site, I listed them and and in detail

I will start you out

the NUFC last kick of the game choke deluxe

West Ham also doing the double on us via shit defensive chokes

Last season we conceded the 3rd least amount of shots but a shit ton of goals. Our keeper was a big reason for that.

Again we exceeded expectations. We dropped 6 points after losing hazard. We were expected to drop a lot more so I don't get that argument at all. We pissed away points for sure as did many teams. We were always going to. It was an in experienced team with a shaky defence and a historically shit keeper. It was expected.

Sure we had a lot to work on defensively but that was always the case and unless we Sarri balled it up then we were gonna be more open the way we were trying to play going forward.

So again, he earned this season with his guys. 2.5 weeks in the season isn't the time for the lampard out shite.

Sure he has made errors and I am not arguing that. But you can't judge the first 5 games of the season as if its the be all and end all.

Wolves lost 4 nil to West ham are they shit now? City lost 5 2 to leciester. United have performed shockingly since the start if the season. The only team solid and consistent is Liverpool.

5 games is nothing and a team with a shit ton of new people is gonna take some time to work as it always was. So we can't judge anything yet. Let's have 6 games with keepers who don't let everything that comes their way in and our new defenders and see how our defence looks.

7 minutes ago, Jason said:

But with Lampard? Sure, some players are out at the moment but he's been here for over a year and every match is basically a guessing game over the system, game plan and starting XI. It's hard to know what he is trying to do and what to expect anymore when there is no consistency whatsoever.

:clap:

1 hour ago, Milan said:

This is actually a great point and something that I have been thinking about too, and something that scares me. These players are super talented and I don't want them to be wasted, absolutely not. Lampard may be a great persuasive power but to actually coach them and develop them... He's got one year, this season. 

Am really curious what exactly did he say to them. What attacking plans or grand idea he sold to them.

1 hour ago, MoroccanBlue said:

We look like Emery's Arsenal 

Come to think of it, surprised this hasn't been mentioned more. 

Emery was always rotating, chopping and changing Arsenal's team and got panned for it by everyone. But no one has said anything of such about Lampard in the media etc.

15 minutes ago, Hutcho said:

Last season we conceded the 3rd least amount of shots but a shit ton of goals. Our keeper was a big reason for that.

Again we exceeded expectations. We dropped 6 points after losing hazard. We were expected to drop a lot more so I don't get that argument at all. We pissed away points for sure as did many teams. We were always going to. It was an in experienced team with a shaky defence and a historically shit keeper. It was expected.

Sure we had a lot to work on defensively but that was always the case and unless we Sarri balled it up then we were gonna be more open the way we were trying to play going forward.

So again, he earned this season with his guys. 2.5 weeks in the season isn't the time for the lampard out shite.

Sure he has made errors and I am not arguing that. But you can't judge the first 5 games of the season as if its the be all and end all.

Wolves lost 4 nil to West ham are they shit now? City lost 5 2 to leciester. United have performed shockingly since the start if the season. The only team solid and consistent is Liverpool.

5 games is nothing and a team with a shit ton of new people is gonna take some time to work as it always was. So we can't judge anything yet. Let's have 6 games with keepers who don't let everything that comes their way in and our new defenders and see how our defence looks.

I am going to stick to my framing

time will tell

but he is without a doubt heading in the wrong direction atm

he needs to turn it around over the next several months or he will come under the cosh and end up sacked

he needs a run of solid, solid wins

hopefully these start coming

tonight was simply not good enough

I am going to stick to my framing
time will tell
but he is without a doubt heading in the wrong direction atm
he needs to turn it around over the next several months or he will come under the cosh and end up sacked
he needs a run of solid, solid wins
hopefully these start coming
tonight was simply not good enough

I don't think I've said anything too different other than I think its way too soon to make drastic judgements. Of course we need to improve and get better. If we are sitting 8th at Christmas and have the same issues as before then he'll get sacked as roman won't accept that.

I'm hoping that after the international break everyone is back and he can implement his plan which I would imagine is 4-2-3-1 and we can start looking more solid defensively and more creative going forwards. I feel like we miss so much someone who is that creative spark and has the passing range to find people. I hope ziyech is that guy. And we saw what pulisic can do for this team when firing.

Maybe I'm just too optimistic but those 2 players would greatly help the guys around them be better. I don't remember jorginho or Kova attempting 1 through ball to callum or Werner to try and get in behind. Especially second half when there was space.

But let's see this new look Chelsea team in October/November and see. If its the same issues then fair enough. I will say that even though we were lackluster I was reasonably happy with the defence til chillwell went off and mendy made some saves and attacked every corner which made a change (he did drop one though but still).

But my whole point which I am gonna call it a night on as I think we've talked it to death is that last season and 5 games this season is too soon to be writing anything off. Improvements to be made for sure but I wanna see that front 4 of Werner Pully kai and ziyech. And that new defence get a run of games before we say its the same shit different day

30 minutes ago, Jason said:

Am really puzzled by how much the missing players are being used as an excuse for Lampard and for our poor displays so far. Sure, we will be better when the likes of Pulisic, Ziyech are back to full fitness but is their absence really an excuse for how clueless we have looked, how we do not look to have an identity? Whenever we play now, does anyone have any idea how we are going to play, what's our general game plan gonna be like, what's our system etc? Compare Lampard to our previous 3 permanent managers - Mourinho, Conte and Sarri. They didn't have the right players they want but immediately, we could at least tell how they want us to play. They set about their system, ideas, game plan etc. With Mourinho, it was 4-2-3-1 and it was pragmatic. With Conte, it was 3-4-3 and it was pragmatic. With Sarri, it was 4-3-3 and he wanted us to dominate possession and attack the opposition. They weren't always pretty and am sure we have been frustrated by them at one point or another but at least the plan, the system, the idea were there. But with Lampard? Sure, some players are out at the moment but he's been here for over a year and every match is basically a guessing game over the system, game plan and starting XI. It's hard to know what he is trying to do and what to expect anymore when there is no consistency whatsoever.

I know we were chasing the game but we looked so much better suited in that second half against West Brom playing 4-3-3 with a holder and two more attack minded midfielders. This I think is the formation with the most potential.

I don't mind Lampard having an alternative in his arsenal.to call upon in game or to throw up in certain situations when the situation or personnel calls.

But Lampard has to settle on formation and settle on a first choice defence. These two things are critical moving forward. We can debate both to our heart's content on this forum, but at least then I think we will start to see some consistency to our play. Ironically the most consistent run of results we got last season was when we had the most absences and Lampard didn't have many options to choose from. The team was kind of picking itself early on in the season.

Lampard needs to do something similar again. We need a run of 6 or 7 games after the international break with less rotation.

28 minutes ago, Jason said:

Come to think of it, surprised this hasn't been mentioned more. 

Emery was always rotating, chopping and changing Arsenal's team and got panned for it by everyone. But no one has said anything of such about Lampard in the media etc.

The Emery comparison is inaccurate, as much as thing aren't great right now they're nowhere near that bad.

His teams were outshot and lost on XG in almost every game regardless of opponent and were getting somewhat ok results due to Leno saving their backside and Auba's clinical nature. If we were playing like Emery's Arsenal with Kepa in goal and our shite finishing we'd be in a relegation battle.

Just now, Tomo said:

The Emery comparison is inaccurate, as much as thing aren't great right now they're nowhere near that bad.

His teams were outshot and lost on XG in almost every game regardless of opponent and were getting results due to Leno saving their backside and Auba's clinical nature. If we were playing like Emery's Arsenal with Kepa in goal and our shite finishing we'd be in a relegation battle.

The point here is we're chopping and changing a lot like Emery did at Arsenal, not whether we are good or bad with the stats etc.

My Take on the game:

1) I am afarid Kovacic just does not do anything for the team. He loses ball often, runs about like a headless chicken.

2) Werner is not going to succeed as a left winger. He is a staring up centre forward and that is his best position. So really its him or Tammy, they cannot be played together.

3) We are still probably 16th or 17th best in defence in EPL. We have a very long way to go. Chilwell and Mendy are a welcome addition,. Just hope Frank gets the back four right and sticks to them rather than changing every game.

4) Our off the ball positioning in the front is still very poor, no better than last year. We have the personnel just need to get them clicking.

5) Don't really care about the loss lets focus on EPL and good Champions League run. Lets drop out of FA cup early. 

6) The team is very much in transition and I think if they are up to the task, we will see a slick team early next year barring injuries.