Edouard Mendy

Jase

27 minutes ago, Hutcho said:
5 hours ago, Puliiszola said:
So are we going to blame FL for this too? 

I'm sure it will be his fault some how

Same here 😂😂. Can't wait for "FL should have cancelled his tickets", "why did he even let Mendy go" kind of arguments

Simon Johnson of the Athletic has said early signs suggest it's just a minor injury and more precautionary.

Minor could quite easily be though a couple of weeks and I would imagine at present he's still a doubt for Southampton and the first Champions League game.

I suppose if that is the case, it's an early opportunity to see what effect Mendy will have on Kepa. Caballero has always been a short term solution to take Kepa out the firing line, it's hardly put him under huge pressure. Signing Mendy was a huge statement to Kepa that he'll sit on the bench for the season if he can't sort himself out. In an ideal world we have two keepers capable of pushing each other for the first team spot, like United currently have with De Gea and Henderson.

Simon Johnson on the injury...

https://theathletic.com/news/chelsea mendy injury update latest/KfZdMZhAEtgh

What happened?
It is understood Mendy felt pain in his right leg at an early stage of a training session with the Senegal squad on Wednesday after catching the ball on a couple of occasions.

Rather than risk any further damage, the 28-year-old ended his involvement in the session and went to get the issue looked at.

What is the nature of Mendy’s injury?
The former Rennes goalkeeper, who joined for an initial £22 million last month, has already had an early diagnosis at a hospital in Rabat, Morocco which showed it is only a minor problem.

Early indications suggested it is a thigh problem, although The Athletic has been told it could actually be a hamstring strain.

How many games could he miss?
It looks certain that he will miss the Premier League match at home to Southampton on October 17.

Chelsea begin their Champions League campaign at home to Sevilla three days later and Mendy hopes he will be able to be back for that.

Chelsea will want to carry out their own tests first though before finalising any potential comeback date.

• 2 weeks later...

Conceded 1 goal in 3 games. Tiny sample size I know. But gotta be a good sign of things to come.

And if my theory of us not actually being as bad as we all think defensively and it's just individual errors caused from panic and confusion on top of a shit keeper costing us goals then we may start to see that in actual results. But we won't know til we get a big run of games and can see over a larger sample size.

As lamps said we give up very few shots relatively speaking in comparison to the rest of the league barring the top 2.

19 hours ago, Hutcho said:

Conceded 1 goal in 3 games. Tiny sample size I know. But gotta be a good sign of things to come.

And if my theory of us not actually being as bad as we all think defensively and it's just individual errors caused from panic and confusion on top of a shit keeper costing us goals then we may start to see that in actual results. But we won't know til we get a big run of games and can see over a larger sample size.

As lamps said we give up very few shots relatively speaking in comparison to the rest of the league barring the top 2.

True. Atm, he looks and upgrade on what we had so in that respect he is winning. My thoughts on Mendy was that he was signed to be a GK1 this season but we may have an eye on another GK for next Summer and he would be a expensive GK2. Let's see how things play out over the next 20 games. It would be great if he is actually the long term answer.