Jump to content
Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

16. Edouard Mendy


Jase
 Share
Followers 2

Recommended Posts

3 hours ago, Tomo said:

Was there ever any debate to drop Cech for Turnbull when he had a poor game or two?

We wouldn't have beaten Watford less than four days ago if it wasn't for him.

Fully agree.

Whilst Kepa isnt Turnbull, with the AFCON eventually coming up, I’ve no doubts its too soon to swap Mendy out for Kepa. Obviously come to that hurdle when its in front of us but wouldn’t be in crisis mode yet. Plus Jorginho again basically shafted a GK with a dodgy back pass without fully looking/being aware (although not as near bad as the one he did to Kepa v Arsenal last season) didn’t help for the penalty. No GK wants that back pass. Not sure what to make of the third goal.

He will bounce back, undoubtedly, as he has been consistent in like 95% of the games he’s played this season so far. Or his Chelsea career to make it more accurate. 

Edited by OneMoSalah
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mendy has been class since we got him.  I can't believe there was actually discussion at one point that we need someone "world class" after he had a stretch of 3 average games or something. Hones

Whether Mendy is truly the real deal for us in the long run remains to be seen but he's not the problem right now. There are problems further ahead of him.

Posted Images

Ever since Roman stepped in I literally can't believe how childish some of our fans are. In last 15 or so years we had ONE campaign when we actually dominated, sort of, yet still some people expect it to be the norm and get all resentful when it isn't. Objectively we are not even best team in league, player-wise, in fact, we are very far from it and that 30% boost from Tuchel-almighty dosen't change much.

Mendy came out of nowhere to fish us out from neck-deep poop, and performs 10 times better than any sane human could have hoped for. Hell, he went from anonymous gk from mediocore farmers cup club to world's top keeper in a week. Do you really expect him to perform at this level forever now? Unless he's a literal machine, miracles rarely happen. Even if he throws in 10 ridiculous own goals now there's no reason to trash this guy. Footballers over perform, footballers underperform and Mendy is just a solid player.

Football is all about winning when you should lose and losing when you should win. Otherwise there would be no reason to play. No player nor club is forever on top-form winning streak. Look at Barca, look at Real, look at Messi, Neymar or whoever. Sometimes I think what some of our "fans" expect can only happen in their playstation and crying about it on the internet is just pitiful.

Edited by Vegetable
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tomo said:

 

We wouldn't have beaten Watford less than four days ago if it wasn't for him.

Also, if no 'Turnbull' we wouldn't won Super Cup and would already be eliminated from Carabao Cup and state of our season would be considered disaster. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Also, if no 'Turnbull' we wouldn't won Super Cup and would already be eliminated from Carabao Cup and state of our season would be considered disaster. 

Yep, and he will rightly be put on any future PK shootouts even if he fails to save any next time round just like Edou is rightly number 1 in regulation play and one poor game won't change that.

Edited by Tomo
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vegetable said:

Ever since Roman stepped in I literally can't believe how childish some of our fans are. In last 15 or so years we had ONE campaign when we actually dominated, sort of, yet still some people expect it to be the norm and get all resentful when it isn't. Objectively we are not even best team in league, player-wise, in fact, we are very far from it and that 30% boost from Tuchel-almighty dosen't change much.

Mendy came out of nowhere to fish us out from neck-deep poop, and performs 10 times better than any sane human could have hoped for. Hell, he went from anonymous gk from mediocore farmers cup club to world's top keeper in a week. Do you really expect him to perform at this level forever now? Unless he's a literal machine, miracles rarely happen. Even if he throws in 10 ridiculous own goals now there's no reason to trash this guy. Footballers over perform, footballers underperform and Mendy is just a solid player.

Football is all about winning when you should lose and losing when you should win. Otherwise there would be no reason to play. No player nor club is forever on top-form winning streak. Look at Barca, look at Real, look at Messi, Neymar or whoever. Sometimes I think what some of our "fans" expect can only happen in their playstation and crying about it on the internet is just pitiful.

Well said. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Vybz Kartel said:

Its the confidence issue, he clearly is in his head lately, could have cost us points against Utd and against June & Watford too. He needs a bit of rest to clear his head we have a long month ahead we can't have a goal keeper who is lacking confidence in a title race, look what it eventually did to Kepa under Lampard. Tuchel has done a perfect job of it with outfield players like Harvetz, Werner, Chillwell & Cho. He took them out of the firing line & it helped them long term.

He's anyway leaving for a month in Jan. Don't want him out of the squad needlessly before that. 

Shit happens. Allison has goofed up even worse at Liverpool. Never saw Klopp take him out of the firing line.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 04/12/2021 at 15:50, Vybz Kartel said:

Its the confidence issue, he clearly is in his head lately, could have cost us points against Utd and against June & Watford too. He needs a bit of rest to clear his head we have a long month ahead we can't have a goal keeper who is lacking confidence in a title race, look what it eventually did to Kepa under Lampard. Tuchel has done a perfect job of it with outfield players like Harvetz, Werner, Chillwell & Cho. He took them out of the firing line & it helped them long term.

It seemed to go from bad to worse after he gave the PK away. However, I think he's done more than enough to justify a bad game or two. He does need to address his issues with holding onto the ball far too long, though.  

On 04/12/2021 at 15:59, Fernando said:

He is a good goalie but we need to move on in the future for one that can be so better with the ball at his feet. 

That's if we want to continue to improve and be a more possession based team. Because a possession based team you need a goalie to play from the back. 

Did you forget our 2nd choice GK? 🙄

Edited by LAM09
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LAM09 said:

It seemed to go from bad to worse after he gave the PK away. However, I think he's done more than enough to justify a bad game or two. He does need to address his issues with holding onto the ball far too long, though.  

Did you forget our 2nd choice GK? 🙄

In most fanbases expectations tend to line up with the price tag (hence CR7 and Bale getting booed when they had the slightest drop off at Real).

With us it seems to be the opposite, the more they cost the more chances they get and the more extreme the excuses are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

He's going to be a huge miss this month.

Say what you like about Kepa looking better under Tuchel but the reality is even an improved Kepa doesn't save that Salah shot in the second half.

That's the crucial difference the very top keepers make.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/01/2022 at 23:11, Tomo said:

He's going to be a huge miss this month.

Say what you like about Kepa looking better under Tuchel but the reality is even an improved Kepa doesn't save that Salah shot in the second half.

That's the crucial difference the very top keepers make.

my toughts exactly, Kepa wouldn’t have reached it, reminds me of Sturridge’s late equalizer at the Bridge in 18/19, Mendy would have saved that shot no doubt, Kepa is too short.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Johnnyeye said:

my toughts exactly, Kepa wouldn’t have reached it, reminds me of Sturridge’s late equalizer at the Bridge in 18/19, Mendy would have saved that shot no doubt, Kepa is too short.

his arms are too short

if he had normal GKer-length (ie longer than most people that height have) arms he would be far better at those aerial blocks

de Gea is barely taller than Kepa but his arms are a lot longer

GettyImages-1081829154-910x587.jpgNsquare_kepa_arrizabalaga (@NsquareA) / Twitter

Edited by Vesper
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Vesper said:

his arms are too short

if he had normal GKer-length (ie longer than most people that height have) arms he would be far better at those aerial blocks

de Gea is barely taller than Kepa but his arms are a lot longer

http://www.essentiallysports.com/wp-content/uploads/GettyImages-1081829154-910x587.jpgNsquare_kepa_arrizabalaga (@NsquareA) / Twitter

when it comes to long shots i dont trust Kepa at all, look at Tielemans goal in FA Cup final last season 😡

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Johnnyeye said:

when it comes to long shots i dont trust Kepa at all, look at Tielemans goal in FA Cup final last season 😡

well that was a worldie screamer

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Vesper said:

well that was a worldie screamer

true dat, Kepa is great at saving PK, i will give him that, its a great weapon to have in penalty shootouts.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Johnnyeye said:

true dat, Kepa is great at saving PK, i will give him that, its a great weapon to have in penalty shootouts.

so ironic as Sarri and most us had a FIT when Willie (who is a freak on PK's, just sucks at most all else) couldn't come in for PK's due to Kepa's refusal, lolol

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now
 Share
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...