Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

16. Edouard Mendy

Jason
Followers 3

11 minutes ago, Jason said:

JFC! If ever there is an overreaction, it's this to Mendy. He has ticked all the boxes that a goalkeeper should be doing ever since he came in and he is the least of our worries right now. Plus, he also has 6 Premier League clean sheets this season; only 3 keepers have more than him. 

Don't get me wrong i have very little complaints about him outside of his technique with pens but it's something we must consider going forward in cup competiton's, it could cost us big time at some point (could argue it already has given Tottenham's draws since they played us).

22 hours ago, Beigl said:

On the other hand we should be glad that he is a good shot stopper. Without his saves we would likely have 6-8 points less. He gets the basics right, which is all we asked for when we signed him. His sweeping isn´t good either, but I can accept that considering Mendy is pretty decent in almost every goalkeeper attribute.

We should be used to concede penalty goals anyway. In the last twenty years we never had any good penalty stopper as our first goalkeeper. 

You're right in the league it shouldn't matter too much, but as above in cups it could cost us.

• Like 1
  • Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Whether Mendy is truly the real deal for us in the long run remains to be seen but he's not the problem right now. There are problems further ahead of him.

we are so used to having a shit goalies, that a good but not worldclass showing from a good but not (yet) world class goalie gets usover the moon. That being said, the decision to go for him over

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Tomo said:

Don't get me wrong i have very little complaints about him outside of his technique with pens but it's something we must consider going forward in cup competiton's, it could cost us big game at some point (could argue it already has given Tottenham's draws since they played us).

Didn't Cech also use to be bad at saving penalties (Munich excluded)? One would assume or hope that Mendy is improving at this aspect in training and will do his homework before the big cup games.

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Don't get me wrong i have very little complaints about him outside of his technique with pens but it's something we must consider going forward in cup competiton's, it could cost us big time at some point (could argue it already has given Tottenham's draws since they played us).

You're right in the league it shouldn't matter too much, but as above in cups it could cost us.

i understand your concern about his weak save percentage regarding pens and i agree, there will be games that will be decided by a pen save, the Everton loss comes to mind, and also imagine other tight games where we are leading 1-0 or 2-1 and the opponent gets a late pen, this shit happens a lot, these tight little margins are the difference between failure and success.

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Jason said:

Didn't Cech also use to be bad at saving penalties (Munich excluded)? One would assume or hope that Mendy is improving at this aspect in training and will do his homework before the big cup games.

Yep, but with Cech there were some he got close too and the odd save was there and therefore the hope that if we go to a shootout he'd get to one, Mendy genuinely isn't giving any hope he'll dive the right way for one let alone actually save it. 

He also let in 22/23 before us, don't know if the other was saved or missed.

32 minutes ago, Jason said:

Correct. Cech has saved only 2 penalties in his first 5 years at Chelsea. And how many PK shootouts he won for us before Munich? There may be some but I don't remember any.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Had a few dodgy moments yesterday when being pressed by Atletico but that aside, it's another clean sheet in the bag...

Mendys clean sheets under Tuchel:

Wolves 0 shots on target

Burnley 0 

Atletico 0

And Spurs had 2 but nothing dangerous.

Nothing he could do for Rudiger own goal and Minamino goal. Overall he was not tested at all in those 6 games. This is great for us ofc.

Defenders are probably more confident with him. Kepa made some great saves in his 2 games under Tuchel, he will play FA Cup games I guess.

3 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Mendys clean sheets under Tuchel:

Wolves 0 shots on target

Burnley 0 

Atletico 0

And Spurs had 2 but nothing dangerous.

Nothing he could do for Rudiger own goal and Minamino goal. Overall he was not tested at all in those 6 games. This is great for us ofc.

Defenders are probably more confident with him. Kepa made some great saves in his 2 games under Tuchel, he will play FA Cup games I guess.

There's a reason teams keep having no shots on target when Mendy is between the sticks (happened under Lampard pre slump aswell). When teams are that solid defensively the keeper is always a big part of that.

• Like 1

17 clean sheets out of 29 games for Chelsea .

Numbers#Numbers#Numbers# .

On 05/03/2021 at 14:32, milka said:

17 clean sheets out of 29 games for Chelsea .

Numbers#Numbers#Numbers# .

Yeah, breath of fresh air after Kepa. However, with the ball at his feet he gives me a panic attack virtually every time. 

Great keeper, made a very important save today. He might not the best sweeper, but he is a very good shot stopper which is enough for me.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Beigl said:

Great keeper, made a very important save today. He might not the best sweeper, but he is a very good shot stopper which is enough for me.

Just like Cech and Snake used to be for us. Both were not great sweeper keepers

• Like 1

That fingertip save was something else, top quality. And a typical example of a shot that Kepa with his short hands would concede.

• Like 1