Edouard Mendy

Jase

Just now, Tomo said:

Problem is, in knockout tournaments you often have to win a PK shootout to win the trophy, 2 of our 3 major European title's came through having to win one.

It's not the fact he's not saving them that worry me, but he's getting easily outsmarted sat down (literally) every single time!

I hate to do this as he's been fantastic in so many ways for us but it's a real weakness for him.

Big Pete needs to teach him how to save pens.

3 minutes ago, Jason said:

The frustrating thing about today's mistake is that Mendy didn't even need to come out for it. Silva (or was it Zouma) was there to deal with it but he turned into Kepa for some bloody reason. :doh: 

brain fart moment that ended up being the winning goal, such is the life of a GK, all it takes is 1 moment to screw it up, such a shame.

it can happne. last two games weconceded the opener bc of his needless rushing out. absolutely hate the tendencies from goalkeepers to come out when the striker is actually moving away from goal  but i guess it is far easier to estmate the distances from tv than in person.

2 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

it can happne. last two games weconceded the opener bc of his needless rushing out. absolutely hate the tendencies from goalkeepers to come out when the striker is actually moving away from goal  but i guess it is far easier to estmate the distances from tv than in person.

But did he need to come out for the one today? Silva/Zouma was practically there to deal with it. 

Mendy has been brilliant for us but we can't be having brainfart moments like this all of a sudden.

2 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Tbh Munich aside I didn't think Cech was great at them either.

Ironically our best first choice keeper with penalties in the modern era has been Kepa :lol:

hmm you have a point, bring Kepa just for penalty shootouts :D 

10 hours ago, Jason said:

You need to add another one - him playing as a sweeper. 

TWO fucking braindead errors in consecutive weekends. Today's is even worst than last week's! :rant:

since he is a late bloomer, i think he can work this out of his game or he can be asked to play a safer sweeper job for a while. 

5 minutes ago, Strike said:

since he is a late bloomer, i think he can work this out of his game or he can be asked to play a safer sweeper job for a while. 

The thing is, we aren't asking Mendy to sweep high up the field a la Neuer. It's only inside the box and yesterday's mistake was just pure stupid. He really didn't need to come out at all when there was one defender there to deal with the danger! It's more of just brainfart decision making than anything else. It's 2 errors now in 2 consecutive league games. This better not become a thing.

Just now, killer1257 said:

It was Bayern's fault to let that happen because they were million times better than us.

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

That's the thing. We can't control everything in a cup game. May need to win via a penalty shootout sometimes. It's Bayern's problem that they fucked up but that and the shootout gave us arguably the best night of our lives as Chelsea fans.

• 2 weeks later...