Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

21. Ben Chilwell

Jase
Followers 5

Knee injuries are probably as bad as it gets for a footballer. Only an Achilles is probably worse. So even when he recovers from the surgery he’ll likely need ages after that to return to this level he’s been playing at.

This is maybe the only outfield position in our team where we can’t maintain the same quality level if the starter gets injured. Alonso is just fine against average and poor opposition but to depend on him in big games is a no go. We can lose a midfielder or 2, we can lose a CB or two. But LWB is tough as hell.

Hopefully our scouting department is ready for next month. And I hope the idea we have as an emergency LWB isn’t Azpi because that would be awful to watch.

• Replies 501
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don't want to kneejerk too soon but if he keeps this up this will be my worst misjudgement ever, and I've made some in my time.

Tears in my eyes. Finally a proper left back. 

7 minutes ago, Mário César said:

Nop.

Read again.

That's mean that Chelsea will wait until final year to make a decision.

He could still be out for only 3 months though? What we do know is that it is in fact his ACL. 

9 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Knee injuries are probably as bad as it gets for a footballer. Only an Achilles is probably worse. So even when he recovers from the surgery he’ll likely need ages after that to return to this level he’s been playing at.

This depends. Azpi and Rudiger both had ACLs injury before and both have recovered well I'd say looking at their level over the years.

The former was out for 169 days and the latter 135 days when they had ACL. So hoping for the best with Chilwell. 

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

He could still be out for only 3 months though? What we do know is that it is in fact his ACL. 

Depends if it heals by itself. If it does we will see him again this season. If he needs surgery it will take ages. 
even if it is just 3 moths he will need another one to get match fit again. So should definitely be in the market in January 

6 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

Depends if it heals by itself. If it does we will see him again this season. If he needs surgery it will take ages. 
even if it is just 3 moths he will need another one to get match fit again. So should definitely be in the market in January 

Who can we realistically buy that doesn't require us to spend big in January?

Unless we're ditching Alonso at the end of this, I don't see the point in buying a LWB in January because when Chilwell returns, we would have 3 LWBs on our hands.

7 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

We are going to be fleeced from other clubs. If the tear is grade 1 I say recall Maatsen. 

12 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

So should definitely be in the market in January 

In the market in case Chilwell is back in March? No chance.

We have many options. Alonso is great LWB. And now for me best options after him are CHO/Pulisic for that role. In majority of games we have like 65-70% possession and in our system wing backs are more important in attack.

Wing backs really dont have much job to do defensively for us... And we have behind 3 world class CBs and best GK in the world. My major concern is will players who replace Ben deliver in attack not that bothered about defensive part because we are so good. Also zero issues with CHO/Puli being right footed. Look at Cancelo, best LB in the world this season. Emerson/Kenedy/Maatsen and Azpi as 3rd and 4th possible option. And even Saul as another option. We will be fine.

Edited by NikkiCFC
  • Like 1
3 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

We have many options. Alonso is great LWB. And now for me best options after him are CHO/Pulisic for that role. In majority of games we have like 65-70% possession and in our system wing backs are more important in attack.

Wing backs really dont have much job to do defensively for us... And we have behind 3 world class CBs and best GK in the world. My major concern is will players who replace Ben deliver in attack not that bothered about defensive part because we are so good. Also zero issues with CHO/Puli being right footed. Look at Cancelo, best LB in the world this season. Emerson/Kenedy/Maatsen and Azpi as 3rd and 4th possible option. We will be fine.

Maatsen would be the ideal solution considering he can grow into the team and inevitably replace Alonso moving forward. 

Marcos Alonso gets way too much disrespect . This system suits him & no doubt he’ll score some important goals if selected.

Edited by milka
11 minutes ago, Tomo said:

This also shows we need to do all we can to get Livramento back next summer *just incase* something similar happens to James.

Is this a serious post or not? 

1 minute ago, Jase said:

Who can we realistically buy that doesn't require us to spend big in January?

Unless we're ditching Alonso at the end of this, I don't see the point in buying a LWB in January because when Chilwell returns, we would have 3 LWBs on our hands.

The choice is indeed slim and I dont see anyone available for cheap, even if we just loan (which would make no sonse, given we still have saul on loan who has played that position for ages) Below is the list of all leftbacks. Only wank after place 17. It is rumoured my top choice, theo, would cost 65m€. IMO absolutely worth it. Ferland mendy is someone real madrid have tried to get rid of before. Not sure on how much money he is on tho.He is a bit overrated anyway.

Best choice would possibly be benzebaini. best age, scores goals, good in the air. can be useful as an alonso replacement.

https://www.transfermarkt.de/spieler-statistik/wertvollstespieler/marktwertetop/mw/spielerposition_id/4

1 minute ago, MoroccanBlue said:

We are going to be fleeced from other clubs. If the tear is grade 1 I say recall Maatsen. 

lol yeah but clubs always try to fleece us, nothing new.

Just now, NikkiCFC said:

Wing backs really dont have much job to do defensively for us... And we have behind 3 world class CBs and best GK in the world. My major concern is will players who replace Ben deliver in attack not that bothered about defensive part because we are so good. Also zero issues with CHO/Puli being right footed. Look at Cancelo, best LB in the world this season. Emerson/Kenedy/Maatsen and Azpi as 3rd and 4th possible option. We will be fine.

I respect your opinion but have to strongly disagree. For me Alonso is a poor player and catastrophic athlete who shold not be playing at this level with a deceiving purple patch every blue moon. As you say, his main weaknesses dont get exploitedin matches vs shit teams parking the bus but in PL there are a ton of matches against fast attackers who will be licking their teeth. Alonso will get absolutely roasted by ManUre on Sunday if he plays. I think the loss of Chilwell is the biggest challenge to our title bid this season. Cant see us winning the league or CL with Azpi or Alonso. Could possibly live with CHO there.

1 minute ago, Tomo said:

Well on the assumption Azpi is going we will need some cover/competition on that side.

But the signs are that he will sign an extension.

Even if he doesn't do so, not sure if Livramento would be content with rotating with James for the RWB spot. 

2 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

I'd rather just recall Maatsen as he already understands the system. Not to mention players that jump from the Championship to the Premier league in recent history have shown to adapt far quicker than those abroad. 

Castagne at Leicester has failed to make any sort of impact as he did with Atalanta. 

With an ACL is the absolute minimum 3 months? Is it possible that a minor tear or even a sprain of some sorts can be a few weeks?

Matt Law hasn't even confirmed it to be an ACL injury yet it's still a suspected one, which makes me wonder still whether it's quite as bad as feared. Hopefully with no surgery required it's something that can see him back for the business end of the season.

I think Alonso can do a job in his absence it's just his lack of athleticism which hinders him. Chilwell and James' ability and desire to get up and down the pitch regularly and at pace has added a new dimension to our attack in recent weeks. 

1 minute ago, MoroccanBlue said:

I'd rather just recall Maatsen as he already understands the system. Not to mention players that jump from the Championship to the Premier league in recent history have shown to adapt far quicker than those abroad. 

Castagne at Leicester has failed to make any sort of impact as he did with Atalanta. 

I am not against the idea but we both now that recalling Maatsen is never gonna happen.