Mikel John Obi

Badboy

I think Fabregas-Mikel is a combination that won't work, I mentioned it in Fab's thread because of his positioning. If Mikel was in a midfield trio with Fabregas and Ramires, then I think it works (while Matic is out).

Ramires - Mikel - Fabregas

Oscar - Hazard

For the pace we'd lose with Willian, we'd regain with Ramires. He's got the stamina and pace to do it.

i think we pretty much played a 3 man mid today.

cesc-mikel-oscar

oscar was way toooo deep to be counted as a no.10 today. think rambo is still "unfit" otherwise he defo would have started.

who here has even brought up matic and mikel in the same breath???

but there lies the problem: the abysmal difference, not only in quality, but also characteristics.

Whenever Matic doesn't play we field a completely inadequate and different type of player to sub him. Yes, Rambo not being available made things worse, but I look at City and they have better options there. Yes, Matic is at least as good as Toure, but they have Fernando and Fernandinho who are a lot closer to Toure than Mikel is to Matic.

Oh well not much to be done at this point, but I'd like to get another CM/DLP.

One thing we did miss with Matic is his amazing ability to win the ball back in the opposition half.

But apart from that, Matic isn't the best against very defensive teams either.

At least Matic would not stand-off, stand-off and stand-off like was done today for the first goal. There would be no Newcastle player freely running into the box if Matic was there.

Don't even get me started at Mikel's 'attempt' to get the ball leading up to the 2nd goal...

Why people even compare Matic and Mikel? Matic is our starter and Mikel is his backup. Quality is reflected by their roles. And Mikel is decent Matic backup, but obviously not as good.

I ask you something; do you want Javi Maritinez to be Matic backup or what? Because that wont happen. Maybe a more dynamic DM could be bought and Mikel sold, but that new DM will have flaws too. Unless we will buy someone like Tiago Mendes, Motta or somebody who is before retirement. And still while they are more creative, they aint faster. Each DM who will be our backup will not be as good as Matic simple as that.

but there lies the problem: the abysmal difference, not only in quality, but also characteristics.

Whenever Matic doesn't play we field a completely inadequate and different type of player to sub him. Yes, Rambo not being available made things worse, but I look at City and they have better options there. Yes, Matic is at least as good as Toure, but they have Fernando and Fernandinho who are a lot closer to Toure than Mikel is to Matic.

Oh well not much to be done at this point, but I'd like to get another CM/DLP.

city had a terrible start to the season cos yaya was playing poorly. whats worse is that city got outplayed and totally dominated by a 10 men bayern which dint have lahm, tiger, muller etc. the level of difference is not much that different.

i honestly cant blame mikel for yesterday. he is a squad player and has his limitations. infact matic is currently one of the best or maybe even the best DM in the world. any DM we bring in will have some shortcomings. add to his abscence the rambo injury, means we lost our backbone and our engine. any team in the world will struggle with that. our problem yesterday was not mikel, it was cesc, costa and GC. i cant remember a single time where cesc took less than 3 touches to play a simple pass. i cant remember a single effective thing done from costa (and these 2 were the reason that we were flying so high). and lets not speak about GC's performance yesterday, the lesser spoken the better.

the difference is there, and that is why we have a squad of different players with different characterisitcs.

matic- proper DM, shield.

cesc - DLP

rambo - workhorse/engine

mikel - stabiliser and a very good option to close out last minutes.

Mikel had a very good game, was one of our better players.

I actually feel embarrassed for people who actually believe this. Honestly. Maybe the new hipster thing to do on TC since I've been away is to sing Mikel's praises anytime he is on the pitch, I don't know.

As I have always argued, people can throw up all the stats they want about Mikel, that's great, because they only show what he has done. My argument has always been about what he does not do; his general passiveness on the pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aVAfcwC5nk

Goal #1: Mikel does his party trick: jogs alongside a player to make it look like he's doing something when he's actually doing fuck all. Marking someone? Nope. Challenges him? Nope. Runs alongside him for about 30 yards and does not attempt to challenge him even though he is well covered with 2 defenders in front. Lets a player freely run 30 yards into the box - great defensive midfield play.

Goal #2: This is where he really fucks up. Tries to win the ball high up the pitch and completely fails, leaving the defence totally exposed. Yeah ok, we were chasing the game, fair enough but if you're not getting the ball you have to at least get the man - especially if you are supposed to be anchorman going to ground in the opposition's half! For fuck sake, it schoolboy stuff. He wasn't even on a yellow. At least Ramires would've taken the man.

I remember giving Mikel stick for being passive and not making tackles, only for Choulo to tell me something like (I'm not digging the conversation up) that he doesn't do it because if he fails it will leave the defence exposed. Well, when we judge Mikel do simple rules like these not still apply?! Or do they change according to the agenda? It seems like they change...

I'm not saying it was all down to him, but considering his involvement (or lack thereof) in both goals, the 2nd in particular, and to say the man had a good game is nothing short of embarrassing.

I actually feel embarrassed for people who actually believe this. Honestly. Maybe the new hipster thing to do on TC since I've been away is to sing Mikel's praises anytime he is on the pitch, I don't know.

As I have always argued, people can throw up all the stats they want about Mikel, that's great, because they only show what he has done. My argument has always been about what he does not do; his general passiveness on the pitch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aVAfcwC5nk

Goal #1: Mikel does his party trick: jogs alongside a player to make it look like he's doing something when he's actually doing fuck all. Marking someone? Nope. Challenges him? Nope. Runs alongside him for about 30 yards and does not attempt to challenge him even though he is well covered with 2 defenders in front. Lets a player freely run 30 yards into the box - great defensive midfield play.

Goal #2: This is where he really fucks up. Tries to win the ball high up the pitch and completely fails, leaving the defence totally exposed. Yeah ok, we were chasing the game, fair enough but if you're not getting the ball you have to at least get the man - especially if you are supposed to be anchorman going to ground in the opposition's half! For fuck sake, it schoolboy stuff. He wasn't even on a yellow. At least Ramires would've taken the man.

I remember giving Mikel stick for being passive and not making tackles, only for Choulo to tell me something like (I'm not digging the conversation up) that he doesn't do it because if he fails it will leave the defence exposed. Well, when we judge Mikel do simple rules like these not still apply?! Or do they change according to the agenda? It seems like they change...

I'm not saying it was all down to him, but considering his involvement (or lack thereof) in both goals, the 2nd in particular, and to say the man had a good game is nothing short of embarrassing.

You can't be serious?

Goal #1: There's 3 other players running with that player. He actually stayed goal-side of the player so he couldn't shoot, why don't the defenders ahead get any players for making the challenge? It's not a party trick at all, any one of those defenders could have made that challenge, I'd give Mikel stick if he just stood there and let the player go past but he stayed goal side.

Goal #2: You say he should take the man, well whoever it was who put the challenge in after (I think it's Oscar) does take the man out. What did the referee do? Play on. So either way the man was out of the attack and guess what? There is a gap in defence. So if Mikel stayed would you have argued that he should've gone ahead of the halfway line and set us up for a counter attack? It was a poor attempt of a tackle from Mikel, I do agree, but could you not at least acknowledge the positive intent to press? Something which people criticise a lot when he doesn't.

You can't be serious?

Goal #1: There's 3 other players running with that player. He actually stayed goal-side of the player so he couldn't shoot, why don't the defenders ahead get any players for making the challenge? It's not a party trick at all, any one of those defenders could have made that challenge, I'd give Mikel stick if he just stood there and let the player go past but he stayed goal side.

Goal #2: You say he should take the man, well whoever it was who put the challenge in after (I think it's Oscar) does take the man out. What did the referee do? Play on. So either way the man was out of the attack and guess what? There is a gap in defence. So if Mikel stayed would you have argued that he should've gone ahead of the halfway line and set us up for a counter attack? It was a poor attempt of a tackle from Mikel, I do agree, but could you not at least acknowledge the positive intent to press? Something which people criticise a lot when he doesn't.

#1: Maybe because it's Mikel job to make the tackle before the CBs? You know, to protect them - like a defensive midfielder. Just maybe? If Cahill makes the tackle and fails, he's in on goal. If Mikel makes the tackle and fails he still has 2 defenders to deal with. Simple stuff mate.

#2: Irrelevant. When you make a decision like that you have to go with it 110%, not half-arsed like he did. You either hang back and protect your back 4 from the counter (in which Mikel will probably do his party trick again anyway) or you go for the ball, failing that, get the man at least. Get his legs so it's more difficult to pass, wrestle him to the fucking ground, just don't let him skip around you while you flail around on the ground exposing your back 4.

The Oscar point is kind of mute anyway, even if he still made that pass, if Mikel did his job properly Oscar would've been free to go for the player he passed it to. So no, there wouldn't have still been a gap in defence. And at least Oscar knew what to do in that situation and Mikel, with all of his experience, didn't.

People think I'm being harsh on the man, but I have said for years and ever since I joined here that he wasn't good enough for the starting 11. I would point out where he failed and be labelled a 'hater' or whatever, well guess what? Matic comes along, shows everyone what you're supposed to do as a defensive midfielder and all of a sudden the Mikel fanboys are all in agreement that he is now only a good substitute! Wow! Doesn't that mean he isn't good enough?! What a turnaround!

Anyway, do you honestly believe he had a good game? Because if you do we should just end this discussion right here.

Tiago was a brilliant utility player for Atletico last season and could of still done a great job here had he been re-signed

He's actually become more important for them this year, starting most games even at the age of 33. Atletico fans widely consider him one of their best players (but a lot are still bitter towards him for wanting to come here) and they've won 10 out of their last 11 games. Would've been our signing of the summer IMO given it was a free. Shame but oh well!

Why are we bashing Mikel? I thought he was more than decent replacement.

And please explain why he should have scored? Because that should be a very classic Mikel scoring header? <_<

Bashing Mikel is like a fetish on this forum. It makes absolutely no senae but some people are irresistibly attracted to it to the point of obsession.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1aVAfcwC5nkGoal #1: Mikel does his party trick: jogs alongside a player to make it look like he's doing something when he's actually doing fuck all. Marking someone? Nope. Challenges him? Nope. Runs alongside him for about 30 yards and does not attempt to challenge him even though he is well covered with 2 defenders in front. Lets a player freely run 30 yards into the box - great defensive midfield play.Goal #2: This is where he really fucks up. Tries to win the ball high up the pitch and completely fails, leaving the defence totally exposed. Yeah ok, we were chasing the game, fair enough but if you're not getting the ball you have to at least get the man - especially if you are supposed to be anchorman going to ground in the opposition's half! For fuck sake, it schoolboy stuff. He wasn't even on a yellow. At least Ramires would've taken the man.

It never ceases to amaze me how this guy is so 'protected' on here, whilst he wasn't alone in why we conceded he played his part yet apparently he had a decent game?! No point in going into the analysis, asI think Alan Shearer nailed it last night on motd. Can't believe that people would think we would be ok before this game started without Matic, it would be tough enough with him playing let alone with obi one starting, I truely hope Ake is now given a start ahead of this cumbersome idiot if this situation occurs again.

Does he ever go past a player? all I see he does is passing side way and backward, not even attempting many tackles. Can't believed he used to be a CAM at the start of his career.

Look like that player that you throw on to park the pen area and that is about it, God knows how he is still one of the best Nigerian player in their team now.