Mikel John Obi

Badboy

Since 2nd February, we have won all our PL games that Mikel did not start (Wigan, west brom, west ham, fulham and Swansea) while with him we have won 1, drawn 1 and lost 2 in the same period.

And our win ratio with Cech in the team is worse than it is with Turnbull this season, shall we drop him too?

And we haven't lost a single game Ross Turnbull have played in this season. Let's get rid of Cech :clown:

Haha, I just said the same thing! B)

Lol - yeah true...

Still doesn't mean Mikel isn't shit :)

Luiz >> Mikel - said it months ago - Luiz best position right now is DM... Got slated but hey, everybody else can now see it.

I also had high hopes for Mikel for a period of 3-4 games he was bursting forward and passing so well... Then he just slipped back into lazy mode... He reminds me of Adabeyour (sp?) - when he wants to play = amazing, but rest of time = frustratingly average....

Good squad player tho!

My point is that it doesn't make him shit, because Mikel, being a key player in our team, is usually rested against weaker teams so it is only natural that we have a higher win percentage when he does not start.

I could not disagree more about Luiz. Here is why: http://forum.talkchelsea.net/topic/13527-04-david-luiz/?p=658954

My point is that it doesn't make him shit, because Mikel, being a key player in our team, is usually rested against weaker teams so it is only natural that we have a higher win percentage when he does not start.

I could not disagree more about Luiz. Here is why: http://forum.talkchelsea.net/topic/13527-04-david-luiz/?p=658954

Ok on Luiz in midfield - he's the best option we have at the moment - either:

Luiz + Mikel or Luiz + Ramires

Are to me the best DM pairing.

If in the summer we sign a World Class DM I would be happy for Luiz to play CB as a ball playing defender - he would give so much more options - as others have said hard to press and he could be the transition from Defence to Attack that we lack.

I get Mikel is rested in some games, also injured - but he really does need to sharpen up! Against City he just let Toure walk past him, he's (for whatever reason) lost his desire, hunger... Under RDM he looked a much better player, under RB he's returned to the player he was... No energy or desire. Please go back and check my posts on him under RdM - I was amazed it was like we had signed a new player! Now, he's back to under-performing and annoying me every minute of every game :(

Ok on Luiz in midfield - he's the best option we have at the moment - either:

Luiz + Mikel or Luiz + Ramires

Are to me the best DM pairing.

If in the summer we sign a World Class DM I would be happy for Luiz to play CB as a ball playing defender - he would give so much more options - as others have said hard to press and he could be the transition from Defence to Attack that we lack.

I get Mikel is rested in some games, also injured - but he really does need to sharpen up! Against City he just let Toure walk past him, he's (for whatever reason) lost his desire, hunger... Under RDM he looked a much better player, under RB he's returned to the player he was... No energy or desire. Please go back and check my posts on him under RdM - I was amazed it was like we had signed a new player! Now, he's back to under-performing and annoying me every minute of every game :(

Again, disagree about Luiz. He should be nowhere near midfield for the reasons I stated in that post (I do hope you read it). He's too sloppy, too aggressive and too adventurous to play at DM. Anyway, I don't want to discuss Luiz here as this is not his thread. If you want a discussion about Luiz in midfield, read the post who's link I put above and we can discuss him there :)

As for Mikel, he had a few very good games after the AFCON (the replay against united comes to mind) but then he had a few bad ones last month especially that game in the EL but the City game was not one of the those bad games. He was very good in that game, and you can't judge the whole performance of player based on a single incident, especially a DM. He was back to himself against Liverpool and had an excellent game but then picked up that knock which saw him miss the last two games. So hopefully against united he continues with the good form he showed against Liverpool.

As for the goal you mentioned, I can't understand how people put the blame on Mikel. He did the right thing in showing Toure down the outside and not putting in a challenge because he would have given away an easy penalty. Yes, he was slow to react (which has always been his biggest weakness) afterwards to chase Toure and block the shot, but Azpi who let in the easy cross to Toure in the first place, and Cahill who should have double on him and closed down the shot but instead stood looking at Toure from 3 meters away from him, share the blame. You can't single out Mikel.

Again, disagree about Luiz. He should be nowhere near midfield for the reasons I stated in that post (I do hope you read it). He's too sloppy, too aggressive and too adventurous to play at DM. Anyway, I don't want to discuss Luiz here as this is not his thread. If you want a discussion about Luiz in midfield, read the post who's link I put above and we can discuss him there :)

As for Mikel, he had a few very good games after the AFCON (the replay against united comes to mind) but then he had a few bad ones last month especially that game in the EL but the City game was not one of the those bad games. He was very good in that game, and you can't judge the whole performance of player based on a single incident, especially a DM. He was back to himself against Liverpool and had an excellent game but then picked up that knock which saw him miss the last two games. So hopefully against united he continues with the good form he showed against Liverpool.

As for the goal you mentioned, I can't understand how people put the blame on Mikel. He did the right thing in showing Toure down the outside and not putting in a challenge because he would have given away an easy penalty. Yes, he was slow to react (which has always been his biggest weakness) afterwards to chase Toure and block the shot, but Azpi who let in the easy cross to Toure in the first place, and Cahill who should have double on him and closed down the shot but instead stood looking at Toure from 3 meters away from him, share the blame. You can't single out Mikel.

Hmm think it will be hard for us to find common ground here ;)

Ok on Luiz :)

On Mikel - it's not just 1 incident, that's the one that rankles most. He is definitely playing below the standard required. Maybe it was AFCON, as Moses has looked poor since returning too!

Guess we will find out tomorrow ;)

Again, disagree about Luiz. He should be nowhere near midfield for the reasons I stated in that post (I do hope you read it). He's too sloppy, too aggressive and too adventurous to play at DM. Anyway, I don't want to discuss Iuiz here ais not his thread. If you want a discussion about Luiz in midfield, read the post who's link I put above and we can discuss him there :)

Were you and I watching the same game? Nearly every long ball from City's half somehow made it straight to Tevez/Aguero/whomever with loads of space because Mikel was caught out of position repeatedly and staying way too high up the pitch (something we also saw in the Southampton game). Then not to mention the fact that he never seemed arsed to get back once they did have the ball in such a dangerous position. As I posted earlier, you compare his positional sense and discipline (or lack thereof) to Makelele, who was also quicker and quite a bit better on the ball, and you'll realize that Mikel simply is not good enough. Add his shitty fucking attitude to all this, which makes him definitely not good enough.

Were you and I watching the same game? Nearly every long ball from City's half somehow made it straight to Tevez/Aguero/whomever with loads of space because Mikel was caught out of position repeatedly and staying way too high up the pitch (something we also saw in the Southampton game). Then not to mention the fact that he never seemed arsed to get back once they did have the ball in such a dangerous position. As I posted earlier, you compare his positional sense and discipline (or lack thereof) to Makelele, who was also quicker and quite a bit better on the ball, and you'll realize that Mikel simply is not good enough. Add his shitty fucking attitude to all this, which makes him definitely not good enough.

Of course Mikel is no where near Makalele, who is? Carrcik aside, name one better DM in the league (and do NOT say Toure, he is not a DM).

Of course Mikel is no where near Makalele, who is? Carrcik aside, name one better DM in the league (and do NOT say Toure, he is not a DM).

Tiote,Sandro,Lucas,Arteta off the top of my head ,probably more .

You have to be kidding. Those players don't even come close! I won't derail this thread with a comparison with each of those players, so here, just read this instead: http://forum.talkchelsea.net/topic/13977-john-mikel-obi-the-keystone/

WARNING: That link is NOT safe if you have stats-o-phobia!

Okay, he's not as good as Makelele and probably never will be. Fine. But that does not excuse the shambolic displays that we've seen from him over and over again. I hate to beat a dead horse with a stick because I've repeatedly explained why he does not deserve a spot on the team, so I'm just going to leave it at: A. He's shit and B. his "commitment" is appalling.

Okay, he's not as good as Makelele and probably never will be. Fine. But that does not excuse the shambolic displays that we've seen from him over and over again. I hate to beat a dead horse with a stick because I've repeatedly explained why he does not deserve a spot on the team, so I'm just going to leave it at: A. He's shit and B. his "commitment" is appalling.

Well I completely disagree and it seems that our managers for the past 4-5 seasons agree with me because, like it or not, Mikel has been an integral part of the Chelsea team and was vital to all of our success in that period and will likely be for a few more seasons to come as well.

You have to be kidding. Those players don't even come close! I won't derail this thread with a comparison with each of those players, so here, just read this instead: http://forum.talkchelsea.net/topic/13977-john-mikel-obi-the-keystone/

WARNING: That link is NOT safe if you have stats-o-phobia!

SeB is a funny guy, some of the things he says are absolutely genius and incredibly intelligent. While others are super deluded, like Torres's movement, Ramires' passing and Mikel as the keystone!

Mikel is not good enough to be Chelsea's first choice DM...