Mikel John Obi

Badboy

BECAUSE HE IS POOR.

1239844947114.jpg

And I don't disagree with any of that. But you started your post by saying that he's nailed-on to start next season and I don't agree. We have two young players who will hopefully get some time in pre-season and that shirt is very much up for grabs. Plus during Mikel's first season he played next to Makelele and Lampard who could protect him. By now he should be one of the guys that protects the younger players and forms that solid spine of the team and I'm yet to be convinced he can do that.

Fair point, but IF Mourinho does come back, realistically I can see Mikel becoming a fixture in the team and starting 75% of matches, as opposed to being one of Benitez' favourite players to rotate in and out of the team, though that does obviously refer to the squad as it stands now. If we switch systems or we bring in personnel that outshine Mikel, then fair enough. But if we return to the system we employed under Mourinho's first stay, it looks like Mikel will have a big-ish say in events.

He's a bit slow to react at times, and his mobility off the ball is not the best, I'll be the first to admit that. But I do think he defends well enough because he makes up for that with his physical abilities, tactical awareness and more importantly discipline. He's not a ball winning DM (this was an absurd concept back in the 90s) but what he does is close passing angles, stays on his feet to force the error. Take the last game vs United for instance, there were three incidents in the first half when Cole was out of position and Nani had the ball running down the right flank on the counter. Mikel just stayed with him and closed all passing angles. Nani ended giving it back to our defense twice and running it out of play in the other. There were plenty of other incidents, but those just stuck out.

He makes mistakes? Of course he makes mistakes. But I don't think they're as often as you make them out to be. The problem is, fans, all football fans, even pundits, judge players on individual incidents: goals, assists, dribbles..etc or on the other hand OGs, mistakes that lead to goals, bad passes..etc and Mikel doesn't do any of those. His biggest assets are his incredible consistency in his passing, his ball retention skills, and his discipline to sit deep and protect that back four all game long. Those don't show in individual incidents or in individual matches for that matter but are invaluable for the team because the name of the modern game, especially for a top team like Chelsea is "keep possession".

As for his passing game being "not even that good", I know that the people who don't like Mikel tend to hate stats, but you just don't have the most passes in the league with the highest accuracy over the past four seasons by accident, you have to be an incredible passer. And again, in Mikel's case, it's not the 50ft pass, but the ability to make that 10-20ft pass 9 times out of ten in every single game. No one else currently in the league is capable of that.

I only judge Mikel by the mistakes he makes in the most important games and to be fair I have always said that whenever I have seen him play at the Bridge he has always performed below average. I don't have a personal vendetta against Mikel I just can't stand his lack lusture efforts to win the ball back for our team. When it comes to passing, I strongly believe that every single player in our team should be able to complete 9/10 ..10 yard passes. I would much rather see a Modric than a Mikel in our team alongside a good ball winning central midfielder. David Luiz and John Terry have a better long range passing game than Mikel.

he has played well recently but for me is inconsistent. he most certainly cannot play with lampard that is just suicide. i would play him as the holder in a midfield 3 with ramires as b2b and a dlp like benat or moutinho but if there is a chance to get another holding midfielder such as capoue or bender we should.

1239844947114.jpg

Fair point, but IF Mourinho does come back, realistically I can see Mikel becoming a fixture in the team and starting 75% of matches, as opposed to being one of Benitez' favourite players to rotate in and out of the team, though that does obviously refer to the squad as it stands now. If we switch systems or we bring in personnel that outshine Mikel, then fair enough. But if we return to the system we employed under Mourinho's first stay, it looks like Mikel will have a big-ish say in events.

If that's the case then i DON'T want Mourinho here.

I want a new replacement, not stick with the same crap. Mikel is over appreciated, because he's played so many games and under so many managers people try to find a way to look around the fact he's been here for a long time or that he's been playing with world class players.

He's made so many mistakes, he's never took his spot once, far too inconsistent, just so incredibly average. It's time to move on like I've said and actually get some better players, ones that aren't afraid to pass the ball forward. And sorry but you will never convince me that Mikel has good defensive talents, because he gets caught out of position far too much, and his tracking back is shocking.

I only judge Mikel by the mistakes he makes in the most important games and to be fair I have always said that whenever I have seen him play at the Bridge he has always performed below average. I don't have a personal vendetta against Mikel I just can't stand his lack lusture efforts to win the ball back for our team. When it comes to passing, I strongly believe that every single player in our team should be able to complete 9/10 ..10 yard passes. I would much rather see a Modric than a Mikel in our team alongside a good ball winning central midfielder. David Luiz and John Terry have a better long range passing game than Mikel.

He made a mistake against Juve this season but Mikel usually performs extremely well in important matches. Go back to the semifinals and finals of the cups last season where he put in his best performances of the season in those five matches. He was by far our best player in Munich. Even in the 09-10 season, as I've already eluded to in this thread, his best performances of the season were against what was know as the "top four" of utd, Arsenal and Liverpool. He was absolutely instrumental in those matches (don't quote me on this but I remember that he had an assist's assist, meaning the pass to the player who made the assist, in something like 5 of those 6 matches!)

Desire to win back the ball and chase players around to do so is not always the best thing for the team. You need composure and discipline more, imo. David Luiz is evidence for that. And I'm not just talking about when he played in midfield but his general play especially when he first arrived here. How many time has him putting his desire to win the ball above his discipline costed us goals and matches? You can't have one player chasing the ball because that would leave massive holes in your team. You either have your whole team pressing and couple that with a high back line like AVB tried to implement, or you have a defensive system where all the players have to stick to their positions and defend their areas.

As for our players's passing, it's funny you should say that now because only two days ago Lampard and Ramires must have missed more than 20 10-yard passes even though Rubin had practically zero pressure on our midfield.

Desire to win back the ball and chase players around to do so is not always the best thing for the team. You need composure and discipline more, imo. David Luiz is evidence for that. And I'm not just talking about when he played in midfield but his general play especially when he first arrived here. How many time has him putting his desire to win the ball above his discipline costed us goals and matches? You can't have one player chasing the ball because that would leave massive holes in your team. You either have your whole team pressing and couple that with a high back line like AVB tried to implement, or you have a defensive system where all the players have to stick to their positions and defend their areas.

I think people misunderstand Luiz's role and Mikel's role in the team. Luiz is an aggressor - that's the sort of CB he is. He always comes out to harass the opponent and win the ball back, it's nothing to do with his discipline really. You can't expect that he'll sit deep and read the game with the type of CB he is - we've got whoever partners Luiz doing that of the majority of the game - similarly with Mikel.

People expect Mikel to chase and harass opponents because he's a DM but fail to recognise that there are different types of DMs around. Mikel is a holding midfielder, he doesn't come charging out - he reads the game, blocks the channels and the lines between the midfield and defence whilst also being a safe haven for those in front of him when attacks break down.

Basically what i'm trying to say is that there's a general misconception going on with his role.

He made a mistake against Juve this season but Mikel usually performs extremely well in important matches. Go back to the semifinals and finals of the cups last season where he put in his best performances of the season in those five matches. He was by far our best player in Munich. Even in the 09-10 season, as I've already eluded to in this thread, his best performances of the season were against what was know as the "top four" of utd, Arsenal and Liverpool. He was absolutely instrumental in those matches (don't quote me on this but I remember that he had an assist's assist, meaning the pass to the player who made the assist, in something like 5 of those 6 matches!)

As for our players's passing, it's funny you should say that now because only two days ago Lampard and Ramires must have missed more than 20 10-yard passes even though Rubin had practically zero pressure on our midfield.

He was our best player in Munich by far? How dare you even say that, have you completely forgot about Ashley Coles best performance he's ever had? Have you forgot about Lampard breaking his neck to stop every pass and cross which came in the box, did you forget about Cahill and Luiz putting in a world class performance when they wern't even in full fitness.

You've shown how bonkers you are when you said Mikel proved everyone wrong with a 50 minute game time in the United match when we where on the front foot. But now you're just getting even more delusional, If the team has a good game, you'll come straight in here and say it was because of Mikel.

And just because Mikel plays with another midfielder that means that he can just sit on his fat arse and do nothing? What DDA is saying is that he has terrible work rate, and it's true, Mikel is horrible at tracking back. Every player has to do there part when it comes to work rate, and Mikel is a bloody defensive midfielder, and his work rate is poor.

I think people misunderstand Luiz's role and Mikel's role in the team. Luiz is an aggressor - that's the sort of CB he is. He always comes out to harass the opponent and win the ball back, it's nothing to do with his discipline really. You can't expect that he'll sit deep and read the game with the type of CB he is - we've got whoever partners Luiz doing that of the majority of the game - similarly with Mikel.

People expect Mikel to chase and harass opponents because he's a DM but fail to recognise that there are different types of DMs around. Mikel is a holding midfielder, he doesn't come charging out - he reads the game, blocks the channels and the lines between the midfield and defence whilst also being a safe haven for those in front of him when attacks break down.

Basically what i'm trying to say is that there's a general misconception going on with his role.

OH MY FUCKING GOD

The amount of times you've stated this!

WE FUCKING KNOW HE'S NOT MEANT TO BE A BOX TO BOX MIDFIELDER, THAT DOESN'T MEAN HE CAN JUST STAND STILL AND DO FUCK ALL.

We know Mikel and Ramires are different players, I think a lot of us have already stated that we don't like Mikel because we think he's incredibly average, which he has proven to be this season.

Probably mate, I think you are right.

But what we need is more a Essien type of players as defensive midfielder than Mikel no ? who may be intelligent but he must be more aggressive, like Khedira for an example, I think he could do much better, even Busquets tackle more at times ! Luiz looked good in midfield, but I think Rafa didnt want him to change his position for some reasons.

Exactly. Although Luiz over did it at times when he first came here and ended up giving away pens and goals. But he's been much much better this season , especially in 2013.

He was our best player in Munich by far? How dare you even say that, have you completely forgot about Ashley Coles best performance he's ever had? Have you forgot about Lampard breaking his neck to stop every pass and cross which came in the box, did you forget about Cahill and Luiz putting in a world class performance when they wern't even in full fitness.

You've shown how bonkers you are when you said Mikel proved everyone wrong with a 50 minute game time in the United match when we where on the front foot. But now you're just getting even more delusional, If the team has a good game, you'll come straight in here and say it was because of Mikel.

And just because Mikel plays with another midfielder that means that he can just sit on his fat arse and do nothing? What DDA is saying is that he has terrible work rate, and it's true, Mikel is horrible at tracking back. Every player has to do there part when it comes to work rate, and Mikel is a bloody defensive midfielder, and his work rate is poor.

Go back and rewatch the match. If you can't see that Mikel was our best player then you're blinded by your prior judgement. And for the last time, I thought Mikel had a very average, if not below average, game against united at OT. I'd argue about his work rate and give examples but I don't want to trigger your phobia of statistics :rolleyes:

Exactly. Although Luiz over did it at times when he first came here and ended up giving away pens and goals. But he's been much much better this season , especially in 2013.

Go back and rewatch the match. If you can't see that Mikel was our best player then you're blinded by your prior judgement. And for the last time, I thought Mikel had a very average, if not below average, game against united at OT. I'd argue about his work rate and give examples but I don't want to trigger your phobia of statistics :rolleyes:

Ashley Cole got named man of the match, yet you still want to say Mikel is the best player.

Hahahahaha mate give your head a wobble, you're that stubborn you can't even admit when your wrong #NIGHTMARE

Sorry Choulo, but I find that part a bit ludicrous. In that Match, Bayern had no trouble creating wave upon wave of chances (of course its not entirely Mikel's fault when you have Bosingwa as a full-back) and taking shots at goal. If they had converted one of those, then I don't think anyone would be even talking of Mikel.

Make no mistake, Mikel put in an excellent shift...but to call him the standout player just because he was the only Chelsea midfielder able to peform his normal role (which is defend against wave upon wave of attack) is too much.

Again regarding Mikel, I'll say it. Right now in our squad, there's no one better than Mikel for the role he plays. And because of that, he remains one of our key players for us. But can we do better than Mikel? Yes. While I hope Mikel can still better himself, I think its more likely that we'll have to invest in another player to improve upon that position.

Sorry Choulo, but I find that part a bit ludicrous. In that Match, Bayern had no trouble creating wave upon wave of chances (of course its not entirely Mikel's fault when you have Bosingwa as a full-back) and taking shots at goal. If they had converted one of those, then I don't think anyone would be even talking of Mikel.

Make no mistake, Mikel put in an excellent shift...but to call him the standout player just because he was the only Chelsea midfielder able to peform his normal role (which is defend against wave upon wave of attack) is too much.

Again regarding Mikel, I'll say it. Right now in our squad, there's no one better than Mikel for the role he plays. And because of that, he remains one of the most key players for us. But can we do better than Mikel? Yes. While I hope Mikel can still better himself, I think its more likely that we'll have to invest in another player to improve upon that position.

Shut up

If Chelsea win, it was because Mikel was the best player.

#LOGICFLAWED

Again regarding Mikel, I'll say it. Right now in our squad, there's no one better than Mikel for the role he plays. And because of that, he remains one of our key players for us. But can we do better than Mikel? Yes. While I hope Mikel can still better himself, I think its more likely that we'll have to invest in another player to improve upon that position.

I'm not just talking about his defending, which he did brilliantly along with everyone else that night, but also about how Mikel was able to keep the ball under immense pressure countless times in the match and then deliver the pass to a teammate. He didn't put a foot wrong in that match. It was, imo, the best performance by a DM in Chelsea shirt since Maka left. Here's what people said after the match in case people forgot:

Flawless performance by him. One of the best I've seen from him. His ball distribution was top class. He was up there alongside Cole, Cech, Lampard and Drogba.

One of the best performances ive seen him have in a chelsea shirt literally tackle after tackle after tackle . I cant remember him losing the ball or not winning a tackle he was by far our best player in the first half . He is so under rated i cant wait to watch him next season , he is only gonna get better. Well done John Obi Mikel !

I can't believe it. How can you be so calm in such dangerous positions, in a Champions League final? This man is a specialist.

Absolutely amazed by him. MOTM with Cech and Ash for me. Was really brilliant. Calm, cool and solid in every situation. Well done Johnny!

I always said he's not a Chelsea type of player, and in all honestly maybe i'll say it more in the future (i hope not), but god damn... the performance he gave today.... it was a Makelele kind of performance. Just amazing game by him. Such confident and so effective. MOTM in my opinion. well after Drog i guess...

Flawless performance. Claude who?!

MOTM for me. Absolutely amazing performance!

Finally, we will hopefully see Mikel live up to his potential. He can push on and become a high class DM.

And there are dozens more. And some of the people up there were/are his biggest critics. I'm not even picking the posts that fit my view, here check out what everyone said: http://forum.talkchelsea.net/topic/29-12-john-obi-mikel/page-12

So fair enough if you don't agree he was MOTM because there were so many heroes out there that night, but I don't think it is that 'ludicrous' because many posters seemed to think that at the time.

I think 80% of the people in this thread are aware of what his role entails. The only misconception in here is that if you don't rate Mikel highly, or find him to be decent/average at best, then you don't understand his role. It's extremely annoying seeing people being talked down to like they have no clue.

Let's not forget that Mikel is only 25 years old (26 later this month). If he can take his game to the next level in the coming years then great. Look at Michael Carrick, the same role except he's a far more complete player than Mikel. He's having the best season of his career at the age of 31, and I can only see him getting better when he has an aggressive ball winner/box-to-box alongside him next season (can certainly upgrade on Cleverley).

To me Mikel is a player that does his job well, but nothing more. Carrick is the best holding player in the league because tactically he is excellent, but on top of that his passing is second to none. He screens the defence expertly and plays incisive pass after incisive pass. By this I don't mean 30 yard defence splitting passes, but ones into dangerous areas between the midfield and defence, where players can pick up the ball and be in positions that open up the play. If Mikel can develop into anything similar then there is no need for the DLP that some are crying out for at the moment. I would prefer a more aggressive B2B alongside him.

I'm not just talking about his defending, which he did brilliantly along with everyone else that night, but also about how Mikel was able to keep the ball under immense pressure countless times in the match and then deliver the pass to a teammate. He didn't put a foot wrong in that match. It was, imo, the best performance by a DM in Chelsea shirt since Maka left. Here's what people said after the match in case people forgot:

And there are dozens more. And some of the people up there were/are his biggest critics. I'm not even picking the posts that fit my view, here check out what everyone said: http://forum.talkchelsea.net/topic/29-12-john-obi-mikel/page-12

Like I said in the previous post, I'm not denying how good his performance was. But I can't call him the standout performer when there were so many other players that had as much, if not more, influence on the match and its outcome.