Timo Werner

Captain Ahmed

Lampard on Werner improving his finishing and facing low blocks. Nothing on using him as a winger...

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jan/02/frank-lampard-chelsea-striker-timo-werner

“Every player goes through tough times in front of goal,” Chelsea’s manager said. “The beauty is that he has been getting chances because that is definitely a positive. I found work on the training ground to be the only way to turn that; simple work and repetition of finishing, which Timo is doing.

“When you work like that it is a matter of time because his natural attributes will get him in front of goal and away from defenders. If his confidence comes down from missing a couple, that is only natural. It is my job to help him with his confidence. I feel the goals will come.”

One of the criticisms of Werner, who has eight goals this season, is that he struggles against deep defences. The German could have more space on the break against City, although Lampard believes the striker’s threat is far from one-dimensional.

“I think Timo’s attributes can be very powerful on the counterattack but there are lots of things that we need in the game against City, on and off the ball,” he said. “He is always a huge weapon on that and I think he will become a huge weapon against low blocks. Sometimes the onus is on us to get the ball in the right areas.”

I feel like this one has kind of been overblown. Hes been truly bad 2, maybe 3x this season and exclusively in roles where he has not been in his preferred position. He's been fine IMO.

The elephant in the room is the other German we bought this summer.

Some responsibility lies with the manager. 

Even though Werner was supposed to play striker today against city, he played very much like he always plays: as a winger but more central.

did not make enough runs to catch crosses and passes. Players don’t do what they are told, but what they are used to doing in practice and games.

He was terrible, no runs in behind, never attacked the central spaces, was constantly staying wide and providing us with no presence in the center. And on top of all this he refused to shoot every time he had a chance. It's getting annoying now. 

Lampard doesn't know what to do with him

15 minutes ago, kellzfresh said:

He was terrible, no runs in behind, never attacked the central spaces, was constantly staying wide and providing us with no presence in the center. And on top of all this he refused to shoot every time he had a chance. It's getting annoying now. 

Lampard doesn't know what to do with him

He doesn't make runs in behind because there is literally nobody in the team playing the passes.

I have seen him run in behind loads of times in other games for the midfielder.. mainly Mount.. to turn around and play it back.

He has zero confidence in the providers so then runs out wide or deep to fetch the ball and he isn't good enough to make something happen from there... it isn't his game. 

He needs to be running onto through balls or attack low crosses.... which we do nether of lol.

If Werner was playing for Liverpool or City he would be scoring regularly and that's the simple truth.

He doesn't make runs in behind because there is literally nobody in the team playing the passes.
I have seen him run in behind loads of times in other games for the midfielder.. mainly Mount.. to turn around and play it back.
He has zero confidence in the providers so then runs out wide or deep to fetch the ball and he isn't good enough to make something happen from there... it isn't his game. 
He needs to be running onto through balls or attack low crosses.... which we do nether of lol.
If Werner was playing for Liverpool or City he would be scoring regularly and that's the simple truth.

I highly doubt that Werner has the technical abilities to play for Man City

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

If you think Werner is able to play one touch football at Man City, that is your opinion. I don't think he can. #justsayin

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

Liepzeg played one touch football with Werner. Lampard only plays crosses so Werner cant show that he can play that style here