Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

11. Timo Werner

Jase
Followers 9

24 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Hes a 50m player we have to start treating him like one unfortunately which I think at times people are forgetting. I tend to remember the slagging off Morata and Abraham used to get for being offside a lot on here. Morata still gets it from Juventus fans too and deservedly so because he has scored like 13 offside goals this season. Should we not be holding these sort of similar players to the same standards no? Instead of being impartial and ignoring it for one guy after others would be chastising others for the same? 

The Spurs one though the point is, he’s still well positioned to look across the line.... which is why I mean its lazy, it would be the same for any CF/attacker.

I think as well if some of these results had swung the other way also, there would be more concern and much more criticism. Ultimately he looks like he’s maybe turning the page but these things, being caught offside frequently, not looking across the line, you can accept it a few times but the top goalscoring players don’t get caught out far too often. The top PL top scorers, Kane, Salah, Son, Fernandes and Calvert-Lewin, have been offside 13, 13, 15, 3 and 17 times. 

Yes Rashford and Vardy may have high offsides but ultimately they aren't sitting with 6 goals 8 assists in 2428 minutes. Both have 10+ goals (Vardy 13, Rashford 10) and 9 assists in the PL).

I mean you do want him to score more right? Hows he going to score more if he perhaps can’t stay/get himself back onside or look across the line more often? Shouldn’t that not be an obvious problem for a CF if he is in the top 5 for offsides when he only has 6 league goals? 

No one said he shouldn’t be timing his runs better but this is why I said that this didn’t become an issue until the last game or two. Were there any complaints before this? Don’t think any of his offsides before were as blatant as the ones at City.

He has scored only 6 league goals because he has missed tons of chances, not because he has been caught offside. He has been caught offside for 20+ times but it hasn’t stopped him from missing 20+ big chances at the same time. As you alluded to with the other examples, had he been more clinical with the chances, no one would be talking about the offsides.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Really taking the piss now 

Werner has never been the most clinical of players. Last season in the Bundesliga he recorded 20 big chances missed, only second to Lewandowski at 24. That said, it comes with the territory. He's

A bit of class by RB Leipzig by posting the 'one step beyond' and now saying "Look after him for us, we will be rooting for Frank's young guns next season" Classy as fuck

Posted Images

Only my option, but I think he's guilty of ball watching and thinking about where he's going to move to and not thinking enough about where he is at that particular moment. 

Having said that, a number of the of the offsides have been very close calls and ones he'd probably have got away with before VAR.

Vardy has always stuck me as a player with a smart football brain, yet I notice that he is also getting caught a lot.

8 hours ago, Sir Mikel OBE said:

You speak such blasphemy while Kante walks this earth😐

I thought u gona say mount 🤔

Hopefully Tuchel goes through him and the other attackers. Theres times to be nice and put an arm around someone but the attackers were anonymous today and in a game of fine details its not acceptable to be anonymous. Even Mount faded after 25 minutes. Why can we get up for 2 CL semis against Real Madrid but not a final v Leicester? Mentality isnt right

Posted (edited)

Indeed very poor game against leicester in the final.

Struggled against their physical defending and the heavy pitch… just not good enough.

feel that giroud would’ve scored from the Silva cross. He timed it wrong.

Edited by robsblubot
4 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Why the hell he celebrated that goal? 🤣 He wasn't aware he played with hand? 

I believe it is the atmosphere that sunk him in - the fans being back and suddenly an eruption of screams and joy that made him celebrate it. Sure, he knew but

1 minute ago, Milan said:

I believe it is the atmosphere that sunk him in - the fans being back and suddenly an eruption of screams and joy that made him celebrate it. Sure, he knew but

But he made himself look like a clown in the end.

1 minute ago, Mana said:

But he made himself look like a clown in the end.

I am not denying it, but I can surely understand that.

I finally heard it! When Timo signed, I wrote here that I could already hear fans shouting TIMO, TIMO, TIMO. And here it is! Fans appreciate fighters and players who keep running despite the bad fate. That's a fact.

• Like 2
  • Cool 1

Does he infuriate me? Yes. Is he a mug for celebrating his handball goal? Yes. Do I absolutely love his effort no matter what happens? Yes. Timo gets in the positions, when he gets his confidence and we get a striker in the summer to take the burden off him, I feel he will come good.

• Like 3
Posted (edited)

Despite his poor finishing, don't think our difficulties to score are solely down to Werner.

Pulisic has been very poor - pretty horrible showing against Leicester today tbh. I liked mount in the FA cup final, but not today... poor passing.

And unlike Kante, neither Kovacic nor Jorginho help up front.

Edited by robsblubot
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Milan said:

I finally heard it! When Timo signed, I wrote here that I could already hear fans shouting TIMO, TIMO, TIMO. And here it is! Fans appreciate fighters and players who keep running despite the bad fate. That's a fact.

Yeah. I'm hoping it will be the return of the fans to the stadiums chanting his name that helps Werner get his confidence back next season. He's doing so many things well even now but just missing that little bit of confidence or luck. His season hasn't been great but I still have very high hopes for him.

Edited by Jype
  • Jase changed the title to 11. Timo Werner