Timo Werner

Captain Ahmed

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

I know it seems unrealistic but I would like to see us play Werner and Giroud upfront together. Be it in a 352 or 442. I think Werner is struggling out wide but right now we have most of our wingers out but lots of CMs so I dont think 352 would be a huge risk. It would let him play closer to goal and be able to run in behind more. Probably wont happen. But hey.

That ship has sailed. Our wingers are getting back. If Frank has any awareness he would play that last two games. 

19 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

I know it seems unrealistic but I would like to see us play Werner and Giroud upfront together. Be it in a 352 or 442. I think Werner is struggling out wide but right now we have most of our wingers out but lots of CMs so I dont think 352 would be a huge risk. It would let him play closer to goal and be able to run in behind more. Probably wont happen. But hey.

Werner - Giroud
Ziyech
Chilwell - Mount - Kante - James
Rüdiger - Silva - Zouma

Wouldn't mind seeing something like this at some point. :)  Just because we have better players now than last season doesn't mean we can't play 3 CB formations anymore to solidify defence and accomodate Werner better (especially when our wingers are injured, Werner and Havertz as wingers is horrid). Also Giroud is pretty good at link-up play, Hazard often got joy playing with him for that same reason, no reason to think Werner wouldn't.

3 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

In Bundesliga you have much more space to shoot. There are no teams like wolves, Spurs or some small clubs that park the bus in Bundesliga. They all play offensive, even against Bayern apart from Eintracht.

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

Having space to shoot is one thing. Having chances to shoot is another, which is more the main point here. He's barely even getting any opportunities to get a shot away - be it blocked, off target etc - especially in the last few games. Instead of you know, passing the ball to him on the ground to get a shot off, we would rather put a high cross in for him to win in the air! Then there's also of course the fact that he's being used further out wide than he was at Leipzig, meaning he's getting even less opportunities to link up with the striker, get a shot away etc.

Werner on handling pressure, Premier League vs Bundesliga and a bit on his recent struggles...

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2020/12/19/werner-on-performing-under-pressure

‘It does matter how much you cost,’ he said. ‘It’s always a bit of pressure when you come to a new club and you want to score by your own but now you also want to score for your new team-mates, for your club.

‘You have to score and the pressure you have in every new club, but I think I can handle it very well because I got the same pressure at my old club and everybody wanted me to score. It’s not something new to me but now it’s a new ground from where I’ve been so its new people and new players around me.

‘So the pressure is a little bit higher than the last years but I think good footballers are the best under pressure and that’s my plan, I can do very well under pressure.’

‘The Premier League is a little bit different to my old league that I used to play in. I have to say it’s tougher than I thought. The contact here is harder than in Germany, it’s what I expected but not like this.

‘I think it’s also hard when you play every three days and the Champions League and internationals and you have to play on Saturday against teams that can rest the whole week and think only about the game against you. It makes it not easy to be the best in every game but the Premier League is very fun to play in.

‘The beginning was very good, now a little bit after a lot of games I don’t know if its normal but I’m struggling a little bit. There are lot of games at the moment and I think there’s some chances that I’ve missed two or three weeks ago that were not the best thing, but I think when you are new to a country and league it’s always a little bit hard to adapt and it should be no excuse. I should try to do my best to be the best footballer that I can be in this league and I think I’ll adapt well.’

Werner spoke to Sky Germany on his form and position...

https://sport.sky.de/fussball/artikel/fussball-timo-werner-exklusiv-im-sky-interview/12167356/34130?q=%2Fa%2F12167356

Asked how satisfied he is with his first few months at Stamford Bridge, he explained: “It’s not yet what I imagined myself. I am always ambitious and set myself high standards. I want to score goals and take responsibility, like I did in Leipzig. I now play a completely different position than at RB. I came through the middle, out of the attacking midfield. With Julian Nagelsmann I even played as an 8 sometimes. This is of course something completely different now, I have to find myself again here.

“I’ve played good games here on the left and on the right wing, but I’ve never been able to radiate the goal danger that distinguished me from the centre at Leipzig. The Premier League is different. Of course, I’ve already shown that I can make the difference in the league, but I also played a few games where I honestly have to say: It wasn’t anything! Despite everything, I have a lot of fun here and I hope that the goals are slowly coming in and that I can make my game a little more variable over the left.”

On Kante, who has made the biggest impression on him...

“We have so many good players! But one is special, even if many know how good he is: N’Golo Kanté stands out in real life. What he runs away from the ball and what kind of competitor he is in training – unbelievable. If you think he can’t get the ball, then he’ll steal it from behind you. This is impressive. 

“Although I knew beforehand that N’Golo was probably the best six in the world, he always surprised me positively in training. Having him on your own team is a blessing. Even offensively, he just marches so much. And what’s more, he’s just the dearest person on earth. As an example: he is knocked down from behind and laughs at himself first. It’s really impressive how someone can have such peace of mind as N’Golo. It is something special to be able to play with him.”

On what we can achieve this season...

First of all, I think that the fans rightly have such high ambitions. When a club spends so much money and gets such big names in every position, then every fan is entitled to have high hopes. I don't know how it will turn out in the end, but I definitely think we have a good chance of winning the championship. Many teams are struggling with the tough program, including Manchester City and Liverpool. Both were way ahead in recent years, but now they also have problems with injuries.

Now Liverpool have beaten Tottenham, before that there was only one draw against Fulham. Anyone can stumble this year. If we find our shape again and stay unbeaten for several weeks, then we will definitely have a chance for the title. Looking ahead to the next few years, it is very difficult to predict anything. Should normality return after Corona, then many clubs will have a lot of money again and want to become champions.

Every year it's a lucky bag because hundreds of millions are being spent again on new players. But if I just look at this year, then we have a top team with big names. The others couldn't buy a lot, so if we get our game on the pitch, we have good chances in all competitions. We have to at least make sure that we get into the top four.

We bought a 50 million striker to provide assists (a lucky one at that tonight) rather than score goals...
Has also hit the post 5 times in the league this season. More than anyone else, I believe. 
He needs to go back to be central.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

On 12/17/2020 at 10:09 PM, killer1257 said:

In Bundesliga you have much more space to shoot. There are no teams like wolves, Spurs or some small clubs that park the bus in Bundesliga. They all play offensive, even against Bayern apart from Eintracht.

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

I think more of space behind. But you are right, Bundesliga is attacker dreamland

1 minute ago, communicate said:

I think more of space behind. But you are right, Bundesliga is attacker dreamland

Agreed, but it's not like he can't get into the right places to score. His finishing is just lacking atm and I also think that his current role in the team won't help his confidence either.

2 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

CF or winger I can only imagine what would Giroud or Abraham or even CHO get if they didn't score 9 games with so many open chances. 

I wouldn't downplay werner's ability to often get himself into the right positions (behind the opposition's defense line), creating open chances for him and his teammates.

This will be very important in big games where his energy, pace, and skill can help us unlock tight defenses.

Besides, it is his first season in the PL, isn't it? Hardly fair to compare him to players who were either born in the PL, or have played forever in it.

4 hours ago, robsblubot said:

Agreed, but it's not like he can't get into the right places to score. His finishing is just lacking atm and I also think that his current role in the team won't help his confidence either.

I think his role to some degree is fine. He need to do less wing play and stay higher defensively, probably we need to defend in 442 more