Jump to content
Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

11. Timo Werner


Jas
 Share
Followers 9

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Laylabelle said:

Maybe he'll do a Torres next week. Just so frustrating..and must be so crap for him as well just to miss the moments he really shouldn't miss!

If he does a Torres he wouldn't get these chances in the first place!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Really taking the piss now 

Werner has never been the most clinical of players. Last season in the Bundesliga he recorded 20 big chances missed, only second to Lewandowski at 24. That said, it comes with the territory. He's

A bit of class by RB Leipzig by posting the 'one step beyond' and now saying "Look after him for us, we will be rooting for Frank's young guns next season" Classy as fuck

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, Vybz Kartel said:

When Werner went off we actually got worse attacking wise, the problem we have under Tuchel is there is not enough support in the box when we create chances. We are too conservative. 

Our whole second half was bad and Werner was also invisible there

Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we just say what we really think the guy is rubbish end of the story make excuse or over analyse bottom line he is shit.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jason said:

Not defending Werner's misses because some of them have been bad but it's gotten to the point where if he misses a chance, he will just get lampooned on and nobody bothers to consider the context of the chance. Maybe I am a Werner apologist and/or I have just gone crazy (it's been a shit day personally) but thought he was also a bit unlucky with the chance today. Did nothing wrong with the shot, apart from the picking the target of the net but Courtois made a good save with his foot.

And amid all the furore of that miss, I didn't even realize that that incident was in the same move/sequence that led to Pulisic's goal. Had Werner scored his chance, that Pulisic goal might not have happened at all.

I'm not going to lie @Jason, but you sound like you support Werner FC instead of Chelsea FC. The fact that you're still making excuses for this guy after he's missed a chance that might result in us going out of the Champions League is mindboggling.

He literally missed a clear cut chance that an 11 year old would score. Not only that but he had other chances to score.

What happens if Real Madrid kick us out? Will you still back him over other players?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tomo said:

If he does a Torres he wouldn't get these chances in the first place!

Why do make it seem like it's not Tuchels system and style of play that creates the chances for Timo? His "amazing" movement is a myth, dare I say his runs today were abysmal.

Whenever we play without Werner we still create opportunities, and we score more often than not. Blindly supporting Werner doesn't make you a better fan but deluded. He's been fucking shite, and is becoming a liability in our hunt for the CL. Do you know how close we are to winning this thing? I back our chances against PSG/City and to think that this individual can cost us this trophy....is sickening.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, Azul said:

Why do make it seem like it's not Tuchels system and style of play that creates the chances for Timo? His "amazing" movement is a myth, dare I say his runs today were abysmal.

Whenever we play without Werner we still create opportunities, and we score more often than not. Blindly supporting Werner doesn't make you a better fan but deluded. He's been fucking shite, and is becoming a liability in our hunt for the CL. Do you know how close we are to winning this thing? I back our chances against PSG/City and to think that this individual can cost us this trophy....is sickening.

He was missing chances galore under Lampard aswell, I'm not saying it's acceptable but Torres being compared favourably to anyone of our strikers is a massive trigger point for me, I'd defend even Michy against such. 

Werner's flicked between average and terrible most of the season but that's just it average and terrible, even that's above the anonymous shit shows we got from Torres.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Azul said:

I'm not going to lie @Jason, but you sound like you support Werner FC instead of Chelsea FC. The fact that you're still making excuses for this guy after he's missed a chance that might result in us going out of the Champions League is mindboggling.

He literally missed a clear cut chance that an 11 year old would score. Not only that but he had other chances to score.

What happens if Real Madrid kick us out? Will you still back him over other players?

On one hand, it was a bad miss and he should have scored and on the other hand, it was a good save. Players miss chances all the time, even in big games. The only reason the furore with Werner exists is because of the number of chances he has missed this season. 

What other chances to score? His miss and Pulisic's goal were the only real chances we had. I wasn't keeping track of it but saw some point out that had Werner scored his chance, the Pulisic goal might not have happened due to the same sequence of play etc. Will need to go see it again. But that aside, we ruined a lot of promising situations in the first half with poor final passes and in the second half, we created nothing. Can't remember us testing Courtois at all.

There's still another 90 minutes to play. If we get knocked out by Real Madrid, it could be for various reasons. All the talk about Werner's miss and no one has even mentioned about the poor defending that led to Benzema's goal, for example. We should be doing better in attack to render such moments insignificant. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Azul said:

Whenever we play without Werner we still create opportunities, and we score more often than not.

This isn't to say that Werner contributed to every goal whenever he's played but here's our record this season whenever he doesn't start/play:

Under Lampard
W 6-0 Barnsley
W 4-0 Sevilla
D 1-1 Krasnodar
D 1-1 Villa
W 1-0 Fulham
L 0-2 Leicester

Under Tuchel
D 0-0 Wolves
W 1-0 Barnsley
D 0-0 Man United
D 0-0 Leeds
W 2-0 Sheffield United
W 4-1 Crystal Palace
L 0-1 Porto
D 0-0 Brighton

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jason said:

This isn't to say that Werner contributed to every goal whenever he's played but here's our record this season whenever he doesn't start/play:

Under Lampard
W 6-0 Barnsley
W 4-0 Sevilla
D 1-1 Krasnodar
D 1-1 Villa
W 1-0 Fulham
L 0-2 Leicester

Under Tuchel
D 0-0 Wolves
W 1-0 Barnsley
D 0-0 Man United
D 0-0 Leeds
W 2-0 Sheffield United
W 4-1 Crystal Palace
L 0-1 Porto
D 0-0 Brighton

I remember when even worse records were pulled out for when we did not play Jon Obi Mikel in 2013 lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

I remember when even worse records were pulled out for when we did not play Jon Obi Mikel in 2013 lol

For the record, that isn't to say that we should play Werner in every game but just pointing it out since Azul mentioned it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I said this earlier in the season and I'll repeat it again now as I believe it still stands, whilst Werner is missing some very good chances (and the two against West Ham and Madrid this week have been really poor) it's not bringing his head down to where he's hiding in games. His confidence in front of goal might be fragile at present but he's not afraid to keep getting in those positions to try and score.

For me Torres and Morata were both far, far worse cases. When their confidence took a hit they both hid, not wanting to make the runs to get into those goal scoring positions, not willing to battle defenders for the ball and space. It was literally like playing with 10 men a lot of times.

I don't see that with Werner. His raw pace and willingness to run beyond and stretch teams makes him a threat regardless of his goal scoring output and that has been a vital part of our game against some of the other bigger teams in recent weeks. 

I certainly wouldn't be prepared to give up on him any time soon. Given the circumstances these last twelve months to change countries and culture in a lockdown scenario and playing in empty stadiums, I want to see how the likes of Werner, Havertz and Ziyech perform in a full Stamford Bridge. The way he plays I think once Chelsea fans are back in the stadium he'll be backed immensely and I could see him feeding off that boost. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

I said this earlier in the season and I'll repeat it again now as I believe it still stands, whilst Werner is missing some very good chances (and the two against West Ham and Madrid this week have been really poor) it's not bringing his head down to where he's hiding in games. His confidence in front of goal might be fragile at present but he's not afraid to keep getting in those positions to try and score.

For me Torres and Morata were both far, far worse cases. When their confidence took a hit they both hid, not wanting to make the runs to get into those goal scoring positions, not willing to battle defenders for the ball and space. It was literally like playing with 10 men a lot of times.

I don't see that with Werner. His raw pace and willingness to run beyond and stretch teams makes him a threat regardless of his goal scoring output and that has been a vital part of our game against some of the other bigger teams in recent weeks. 

I certainly wouldn't be prepared to give up on him any time soon. Given the circumstances these last twelve months to change countries and culture in a lockdown scenario and playing in empty stadiums, I want to see how the likes of Werner, Havertz and Ziyech perform in a full Stamford Bridge. The way he plays I think once Chelsea fans are back in the stadium he'll be backed immensely and I could see him feeding off that boost. 

On the other hand when he does score it does not make him fly high and he suddenly catches every ball perfectly. For almost every time he scores he usually directly proceeds to waste a big chance in the same or the following match and then goes on a scoreless run.

As has been pointed out here he varies between terrible and average. His pace and movement indeed stretches teams and makes defenders nervous which is why I understand that he sometimes plays ahead of Ziyech who when out of form simply sucks and offers 0. Simlar for Havertz and Tammy.

I do not think the audience has that much of an influence on games tbf, but I reckon Werner will be given one more season to turn his Chelsea career around. Let's hope he can but we should not bet our season on it. Still need to sign a proper striker.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

On the other hand when he does score it does not make him fly high and he suddenly catches every ball perfectly. For almost every time he scores he usually directly proceeds to waste a big chance in the same or the following match and then goes on a scoreless run.

As has been pointed out here he varies between terrible and average. His pace and movement indeed stretches teams and makes defenders nervous which is why I understand that he sometimes plays ahead of Ziyech who when out of form simply sucks and offers 0. Simlar for Havertz and Tammy.

I do not think the audience has that much of an influence on games tbf, but I reckon Werner will be given one more season to turn his Chelsea career around. Let's hope he can but we should not bet our season on it. Still need to sign a proper striker.

You don't think players feed off an atmosphere?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Not his biggest fan, but I will still give him next season to prove me wrong. As other users already said at least he gets into these scoring positions. 

What he just needs is a complete reset after the EUROs..

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

My patience is running thin, if not run out already. Yesterday's miss was the angriest I got at any of his misses. I was celebrating before seeing it go in because it was a 1000% chance the moment the ball was passed to him, so in the heat of the moment I just said sell this sack of **** but have now calmed down a bit. Anybody who's been following my posts know that I was most excited about signing Werner, not Havertz or Ziyech. Simply because I thought he'd fix our goalscoring problems and elevate us a level... That has not been the case, he's made it worse. I have been defending him up to this point, but not anymore. And fuck the psychological excuses, you don't need to be a mental monster to finish from point blank range, he's just an incredibly shit finisher especially for a supposed striker, period. Clearly I was wrong about him, based my opinion on highlights and stats.

He must improve and improve fast or he'll fuck our entire season up. Pulisic isn't always going to be there to rectify his cock ups. One or a few more important misses like this and I will officially give up on him like I did with Torres and Morata. Overall he's a better footballer than either of them, but I'm so fucking tired of excusing shit finishing from STRIKERS with "good movement" or "stretching defences" or "at least he gets into positions" or whatever other bullshit we can think of to comfort ourselves while watching our strikers FLOP left and right.

Edited by manpe
  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

People at TC make it always seem that Werner is the only striker in this world that gets into good positions to score goals lol. There are many other strikers that have the same ability and actually they can also score the goal

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

People at TC make it always seem that Werner is the only striker in this world that gets into good positions to score goals lol. There are many other strikers that have the same ability and actually they can also score the goal

Yet, how many are actually in top class bracket of strikers in terms of overall package though?

And I don't think anyone is saying that we shouldn't go get another striker this summer anyway. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, manpe said:

My patience is running thin, if not run out already. Yesterday's miss was the angriest I got at any of his misses. I was celebrating before seeing it go in because it was a 1000% chance the moment the ball was passed to him, so in the heat of the moment I just said sell this sack of **** but have now calmed down a bit.

Am surprised you jumped the gun considering it was Werner. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...