Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

11. Timo Werner

Jase
Followers 9

12 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Not necessarily, he is definitely worth of a lot of criticisms he has had as he is a striker and his role is to score goals ultimately although they obviously have to do more than that these days. Ok he maybe isn’t a pure number 9 so to speak but if we had one who was scoring goals regularly then maybe we could accept him not being as prolific.

Said this before, the more things progress, the more it looks like Werner will be like Pedro for us. Someone who is not the main scorer but the secondary scorer, someone who would get 10-15 goals per season. 

14 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Its not unfair for anyone to turn around and say his lack of goals and particularly the big chances missed have affected our season. They would have gotten us extra points at some stage which would maybe have us a bit better than we are at present and its been a reoccurring theme with other CFs also.  It was the exact same issue last season with many players (Abraham I think got this a bit also like Morata before him) also as we missed a lot of the big chances we created and that nearly came back to bite us. 

Off the top of my head, I don't think Werner's misses have come in games that we lost? Think they have come in games that we won?

But of course, having someone decisive in the final third might have turned some of those losses to wins. 

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Werner has never been the most clinical of players. Last season in the Bundesliga he recorded 20 big chances missed, only second to Lewandowski at 24. That said, it comes with the territory. He's

Really taking the piss now 

he has a real mentality off the field but also different level on it. Hard doesn't faze him, but he's a killer, he is going to get tons of goals this season.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Jason said:

Said this before, the more things progress, the more it looks like Werner will be like Pedro for us. Someone who is not the main scorer but the secondary scorer, someone who would get 10-15 goals per season. 

Off the top of my head, I don't think Werner's misses have come in games that we lost? Think they have come in games that we won?

I liked Pedro but Pedro is Pedro. He gave us what we expected from him. 

Werner came with pedigree of one of the best goalscorers in Europe. I want to compere him with Lewandowski, Immobile, Haaland, Mbappe in terms of goals. Not with Pedro or Mount or Ziyech or Willian. This is the standard he set for himself in Leipzig. 

In doesn't matter in which games his misses came. We played 31 PL games and 10 CL games. This is 41 games in two major competitions. Werner scored in just 4 games of these games not counting penalties. 

6 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

I liked Pedro but Pedro is Pedro. He gave us what we expected from him. 

Werner came with pedigree of one of the best goalscorers in Europe. I want to compere him with Lewandowski, Immobile, Haaland, Mbappe in terms of goals. Not with Pedro or Mount or Ziyech or Willian. This is the standard he set for himself in Leipzig. 

Yeah but the Bundesliga is the Bundesliga and the Premier League is the Premier League. Of course we would like to see Werner translate those numbers in Germany to here in England but it's not always that straightforward, especially when we all have had discussions about him not being a natural goalscorer.

I compared Werner with someone like Pedro because (a) he's not an out-an-out #9 and (b) the position that he normally operates in is more similar to someone like Pedro. He's more of a wide forward like the Sons, Manes, Salahs of this world, albeit one of course that still gets chances to score. Most of the players you mentioned are natural #9s and they tend to get more chances to score every game and are more clinical.

6 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

In doesn't matter in which games his misses came. We played 31 PL games and 10 CL games. This is 41 games in two major competitions. Werner scored in just 4 games of these games not counting penalties. 

We were talking about his missed chances. You went in a different direction...

And TBH, not really surprised by that considering he was something of a streaky player in the Bundesliga.

• 2 weeks later...

People who were slating me for wanting Pulisic to start over this clown, what do you have to say now? There's no more defending Timo, he might've cost us a CL Final.

• Like 1

We should really cut our losses and sell him this summer so we can raise some money and buy mbappe or halland. 

5 minutes ago, Azul said:

People who were slating me for wanting Pulisic to start over this clown, what do you have to say now? 

He isn't starting over Pulisic. 

That miss was unforgivable. There are plenty of Pacey players who can’t score. We could play Adama traore there and he would probably produce better numbers.for me this was the straw that broke the camels back. If we get a decent offer for him we should indeed cut our losses. 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

He isn't starting over Pulisic. 

Is that your opinion on what should happen or what you think Tuchel will do?

Just now, Azul said:

Is that your opinion on what should happen or what you think Tuchel will do?

It was a bit of cheek considering they both started. But I'm contempt with Werner being a squad player at best. Utilised based on the opposition. As far as a starter, that ship has sailed for me. 

• Thanks 1

He isn't going anywhere as there's hardly anyone willing to but, except maybe traditional trolls Bayern, with -50% pricetag.

I feel someone in the club was pressured to but Werner and Havertz as they were hottest prospects out there and missing out on them would be like missing on Mbappe, just like Konate+Upamecano duo was considered a while ago. But suddenly securing prospects turned into integrating them into first team as top-players and we are where we are.

I'm hoping the fortune will turn around for them soon, but no signs of it now. 

At the end of the day, Tuchel has to watch because if he continues to count on him and he keeps missing or scoring once every 15 games, ultimately it will be the managers head on the block if it leads to a down spiral in results/games not being won.

Not at that point yet but more big chances missed that would have swung this tie from just over 50% with the away goal to 75-80% in our favour IMO. 

• Like 2
On 17/04/2021 at 16:28, Jason said:

But of course, having someone decisive in the final third might have turned some of those losses to wins. 

It's not that simple (responding to OneMoSalah's point actually): Werner's movement opens up spaces and creates opportunities for him and his teammates. I'm going to say something a bit controversial here, but I'd not replace Werner with Aubameyang, for example. Aubameyang can finish, but he just takes too much from the team - I really dislike him as a footballer.

Werner needs to improve his finish, but he is still young and even a slight improvement will make him an even more dangerous attacker, again because of his pace and movement.

Before this game Werner had 1 goal and one assist in the last 3 games. Did not even started against Brighton in midweek. So his selection was definitely understandable. And this is the only two goals we scored in the last 3 games so...

Edited by NikkiCFC

I often read that he's a bust and people are bashing the club for splurging on him, thinking we are doing Real Madrid kind of business and wanted him to be a star, but let's not forget, that at the time he was pretty much the only sub-30YO striker on the market with top-class potential, and striker is what we desperately need, as Tammy and Oli didn't really cut it at time, not to mention Gonzalo, so it's understandable that board pulled the trigger. 

Football is funny sometimes.
Everybody knows it's a team sport, but after a strong team performance, away from home, and against the strongest opposition, folks will remember Werner's miss (really good save by Courtois too).

They will not think the zero-sum game it actually is: when you replace Werner with someone else, you lose what Werner does (regardless of your personal preferences).

Regarding the comparison with Pedro, I think Werner is quite different and has the potential to become a much better player than Pedro was.

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, robsblubot said:

Football is funny sometimes.
Everybody knows it's a team sport, but after a strong team performance, away from home, and against the strongest opposition, folks will remember Werner's miss (really good save by Courtois too).

They will not think the zero-sum game it actually is: when you replace Werner with someone else, you lose what Werner does (regardless of your personal preferences).

Regarding the comparison with Pedro, I think Werner is quite different and has the potential to become a much better player than Pedro was.

Not defending Werner's misses because some of them have been bad but it's gotten to the point where if he misses a chance, he will just get lampooned on and nobody bothers to consider the context of the chance. Maybe I am a Werner apologist and/or I have just gone crazy (it's been a shit day personally) but thought he was also a bit unlucky with the chance today. Did nothing wrong with the shot, apart from the picking the target of the net but Courtois made a good save with his foot.

And amid all the furore of that miss, I didn't even realize that that incident was in the same move/sequence that led to Pulisic's goal. Had Werner scored his chance, that Pulisic goal might not have happened at all.

• Like 3
13 minutes ago, Jason said:

Not defending Werner's misses because some of them have been bad but it's gotten to the point where if he misses a chance, he will just get lampooned on and nobody bothers to consider the context of the chance. Maybe I am a Werner apologist and/or I have just gone crazy (it's been a shit day personally) but thought he was also a bit unlucky with the chance today. Did nothing wrong with the shot, apart from the picking the target of the net but Courtois made a good save with his foot.

And amid all the furore of that miss, I didn't even realize that that incident was in the same move/sequence that led to Pulisic's goal. Had Werner scored his chance, that Pulisic goal might not have happened at all.

Yes, that is the most important thing. Tammy Abraham scores that, Olivier Giroud scores that. After 10 years this is same story like with Torres. People here were happy with him when he scored like 5 goals in 30 games. Because he is a good boy and looks good in Chelsea shirt. The fact is that sticking to players like Torres and Werner means that you have no chance in league where you need someone to score 15-25 goals to fight for the title (maybe apart from City but they have Pep and players like Mahrez, Silva, Jesus, De Bruyne, Sterling, Foden). There is a reason why Chelsea won PL with Drogba and Costa. Not with the likes of Torres, Morata and now probably Werner. Faster he goes, better for him and for the club.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Topico said:

Yes, that is the most important thing. Tammy Abraham scores that, Olivier Giroud scores that. After 10 years this is same story like with Torres. People here were happy with him when he scored like 5 goals in 30 games. Because he is a good boy and looks good in Chelsea shirt. The fact is that sticking to players like Torres and Werner means that you have no chance in league where you need someone to score 15-25 goals to fight for the title (maybe apart from City but they have Pep and players like Mahrez, Silva, Jesus, De Bruyne, Sterling, Foden). There is a reason why Chelsea won PL with Drogba and Costa. Not with the likes of Torres, Morata and now probably Werner. Faster he goes, better for him and for the club.

As some above have been saying, think Werner has qualities to be useful in the team. Just don't think he can be relied on for consistent goals. His goal return would be less of an issue if we have a proper #9 being the main goalscorer. 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Jason said:

When Werner went off we actually got worse attacking wise, the problem we have under Tuchel is there is not enough support in the box when we create chances. We are too conservative. 

• Like 1