Timo Werner

Captain Ahmed

Chelsea-bound striker Tim Werner scored with his final touch in a RB Leipzig shirt to ensure he leaves the German club as their all-time top scorer.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/53207063

The 24-year-old, who will complete his £54 million move to the Blues next month, scored his 27th and 28th goals of the season in a 2-1 win at Augsburg.

That took his overall tally for the club to 95 goals in 159 games.

The win saw RB Leipzig finish third in the league, behind Borussia Dortmund and champions Bayern Munich.

Werner's 28 league goals meant he finished runner up to Robert Lewandowski in the top scorers list, with the Bayern Munich striker having scored 34 goals this season.

Seventeen of Werner's goals came away from home, equalling the all-time record for most away goals in a single campaign set by Borussia Monchengladbach's Jupp Heynckes in 1973-74.

Werner on joining us (the English translation should be 99% right lol)...

https://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/fussball/rb-leipzigs-timo-werner-darum-gehe-ich-zu-chelsea-71554078.bild.html

“The discussions with those responsible at Chelsea were so good that I ended up choosing Chelsea. The coach (Lampard) in particular was standing behind me and really wanted me to know that I was going to Chelsea, so I can feel as comfortable as here"

“In the conversations with me, the coach often emphasized how much he wanted me, how much he valued me as a person. Of course it is difficult to give up the comfortable position like I had in Leipzig for years, but you can only get better in a career if you take the next step.”

"Otherwise I would always stay in Leipzig but I have decided on something new and hope that it will continue like this."

20 minutes ago, Jason said:

Werner on joining us (the English translation should be 99% right lol)...

https://www.bild.de/sport/fussball/fussball/rb-leipzigs-timo-werner-darum-gehe-ich-zu-chelsea-71554078.bild.html

Like others have mentioned, many of the players now will have grown up watching Frank Lampard being one of the best players in the world and Chelsea being one of the biggest teams in European football always challenging for trophies.

If Lampard keeps us moving in the right direction i think he could be a big help for us attracting some top players to the club.

9 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Like others have mentioned, many of the players now will have grown up watching Frank Lampard being one of the best players in the world and Chelsea being one of the biggest teams in European football always challenging for trophies.

That seems more relevant to those who are coming through our academy. I'm sure Ziyech and Werner would know about Lampard's playing career but based on their comments, it seems like Lampard brought that personal touch, the kind of 1-on-1 personal man management needed when trying to persuade those two to join us.