Timo Werner

Captain Ahmed

21 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Isn't the Werner hold up to do with RB qualifying for the CL next year? I swear I read somewhere that depending on whether they qualify or not will impact how much his exact buyout will be.

Yeah, there is reportedly a 5 million difference depending on whether Leipzig qualify for the Champions League. They can virtually guarantee or guarantee it by this Wednesday. 

2 hours ago, Jason said:

If true, am really really surprised by that. 

And some thought we need to qualify for CL to sign him. Yet he chooses pre season for new season over playing last 8 tournament to become European champion. 3 games away from the title. 

It just shows that argument that some club need to finish top4 to bring top players is false. Proven million times.

19 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

And some thought we need to qualify for CL to sign him. Yet he chooses pre season for new season over playing last 8 tournament to become European champion. 3 games away from the title. 

It just shows that argument that some club need to finish top4 to bring top players is false. Proven million times.

I think this is usually true for all but the VERY top players (ie CR7, Messi, Mbappe, Neymar, etc etc types, ie the ones we are never going to sign simply becuase we cannot afford their wage demands)

I am happy to see it doesn't apparently matter to Werner

9 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

I think that is somewhat debatable. We have been fortunate that the players we have bought in recent years do not have a strong affinity to the Champions League. Of course they want to be playing in it but they do not see as a deal breaker but am pretty sure there is a select group of players who see it as a deal breaker. Plus there is also the fact that despite our crap-ness/inconsistencies/problems, we have always competed for trophies, always winning something and haven't become like Liverpool in the early 2010s or Arsenal - basically irrelevant. We obviously want/need to get back to the very top again but at least we are still relevant enough to be an attractive proposition for players.