Armando Broja

OhForAGreavsie

1 hour ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Hot and cold I felt and, as I saw it, never got out of Didier's shadow while here. So, being behind The Drog automatically puts him behind Diego in my calculation.

His influence in big games were minuscule as well. 

8 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I think Diego was the best of all the Roman era centre forwards so far. Even better than The Drog. None of them did the spectacular or the dramatic like Didier, but peak Diego was a better footballer than peak Drog. If Mando even approaches that level then Rom is going to be doing more interviews with Italian journalists before next season is very old.

Difficult one to decide I think. Costa was definitely a more lethal predator in and around the box and had a great striker instinct and technique to go with that. Didier is always hard to assess because if you look at his stats in more detail he only ever had a couple of outstanding Premier League campaigns but then always stepped up in cups and europe.

I think if you're looking for one to pull you through a league campaign you'd possibly take Diego. Cup finals though I'm definitely taking Drogba, the man was literally a cheat code for Chelsea in them.

I think the only other striker in the Roman era I would put up against Costa and Drogba, although because he never settled probably sits a little below both is Crespo. I was always a massive fan of him. Both feet, incredible attack positioning and excellent in front of goal. There was one goal against Liverpool at home which always stuck out with a ball over the top at an angle, perfectly timed run and anticipation and he just buried it with his left foot. It was a huge shame that he never settled in England (ironically he still talks warmly about his time at Chelsea and I think now on reflection wishes he'd tried more to make things work) - I think if he'd stayed for a couple more years over those early Mourinho years he'd be viewed very much in the same way as Drogba and Costa were.

9 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

but peak Diego was a better footballer than peak Drog.

Drogba best seasons were 06/07 and 09/10 with 33 and 37 goals. When did Costa gave us something like that? Diego best season for us is 15 goals shorter than Drogba best season.

Edited by NikkiCFC

On 12/01/2022 at 16:46, OhForAGreavsie said:

I think Diego was the best of all the Roman era centre forwards so far. Even better than The Drog. None of them did the spectacular or the dramatic like Didier, but peak Diego was a better footballer than peak Drog. If Mando even approaches that level then Rom is going to be doing more interviews with Italian journalists before next season is very old.

I respect your opinion but your claim Diego better than drogba is right up there with your ‘Alonso is not the problem, Chilwell is’ line

drogba was clearly better technically. His first touch, passing, variety of finishes be it in the air, from distance, on the turn. Thats not even up for debate. Technique wise Diego was basically Lukaku with better work rate. A mean aggressive poacher.  He had like 2 20 goals seasons for us and 2 more good seasons at Atlético. The rest of his career he did very little. Despite drogba always being touted as not a consistent goal scorer he has far more goals On a higher level than Diego 

drogba also decided numerous big games for us. Diego was quite anonymous in those . 
sorry there really is not an ounce of truth in this.

drogs clearly the better footballer. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Was an absolute handful again. Scored but could of had a hattrick, but his pace tormented the Spurs defence. Another impressive outing. Amount of progress is evident when you realise that he started of from not getting a game, apart from up games then being brought on as a sub to now undisputed starter.

On 12/01/2022 at 17:03, OhForAGreavsie said:

Hot and cold I felt and, as I saw it, never got out of Didier's shadow while here. So, being behind The Drog automatically puts him behind Diego in my calculation.

I've said it elsewhere, seriously don't care about signing players anymore as the club are just awful at it. Broja, along with Gallagher are the two players I want back most. 

After that Livra when we can activate his buy back. 

Only players I want outside of the loan army/academy are a LWB (Alonso's legs have completely gone now and we need a decent back-up even if Chilwell comes back fine and firing) and maybe Rice if something happens with Jorgi or Kante this Summer (however he came through the academy so is a bit like a returnee.) 

No more dross signings for insane money please. 

16 minutes ago, MoroccanBlue said:

I would still like a pop at Raphina or another goal scoring winger to replace one of Ziyech and Werner. 

Raphinha would be a great buy.

I think he is definitely capable of being a top top player at an elite level club. Would happily swap him for any of those two as well either way.

Brilliant again. The only thing lacking was a goal. Should have scored that chance when he skipped past Maguire. Varane is one of the fastest CB in football and he went past him like he wasn't there. MOTM for me. Top game. Won his aerial battles also. All in all. Top all rounded striker.

Edited by Stats