Tennis Thread #2

Fulham Broadway

• 7 months later...

:clap:

Andy Murray backs calls to remove Margaret Court's name from tennis arena

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/sep/17/andy-murray-backs-calls-to-remove-margaret-courts-name-from-tennis-arena

Andy Murray thinks the Australian Open should consider removing Margaret Court’s name from the arena at Melbourne Park as he says the multiple grand slam champion’s values are at odds with what tennis stands for.

The 78-year-old Court, who holds the all-time record of 24 major singles titles, has been heavily criticised for voicing her religious-based opposition to same-sex marriage and transgender athletes.

“When you get to the Australian Open you want to concentrate on the tennis. Court’s views detract from that,” Murray, a five-times finalist at Melbourne Park, told Pride Life.

“As far as renaming the venue ... yes, it’s something the sport should consider. I don’t know who makes the final decision on that but I don’t think her values are what tennis stands for.”

Tennis Australia invited Court to Melbourne Park at this year’s tournament to recognise the 50th anniversary of her 1970 calendar grand slam, while saying it disagreed with her “personal views”.

In a low-key ceremony at Rod Laver Arena before a quarter-final match, Court was handed a replica trophy by 11-times grand slam champion Rod Laver following the screening of a short video of her tennis achievements.

Murray, a three-times grand slam champion and former world No 1, said she had received a lukewarm reception from the public. “She has obviously offended and upset a lot of people over the years,” he added. “I think the players certainly have spoken up, which is a positive thing.”

Tennis greats Martina Navratilova and John McEnroe had also called for Court’s name to be stripped from the stadium.

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

VAMOSSS RAFA!!!

IN ONE OF HIS FINEST FINAL WINS, RAFAEL NADAL DOMINATES NOVAK DJOKOVIC

Rafa handily defeated a discombobulated Nole, 6-0, 6-2, 7-5 to claim his 13th French Open and at long last tie Roger Federer’s record of 20 Grand Slam singles titles.

https://www.tennis.com/pro-game/2020/10/one-his-finest-final-wins-rafael-nadal-dominates-novak-djokovic/91373/

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

British teenager Emma Raducanu extends thrilling Wimbledon debut

Wildcard beats 2019 French Open finalist Marketa Vondrousova

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/jul/01/emma-raducanus-talent-and-poise-keep-dream-wimbledon-debut-rolling-on

TELEMMGLPICT000169014181_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqpVlberWd9EgFPZtcLiMQfyf2A9a6I9YchsjMeADBa08.jpeg

In the 44 years since Virginia Wade became the most recent British woman to win Wimbledon, there have been many excellent performances from outstanding prospects at the All England Club. Not all of them have gone on to have big careers but in Emma Raducanu, we may just have uncovered the genuine article.

The 18-year-old player’s 6-2, 6-4 victory against the world No 42 Marketa Vondrousova, the Czech who reached the French Open final in 2019, was a display full of poise, Raducanu showing she has the head to match her talent as she reached the third round.

Born in Canada to a Romanian father and Chinese mother, the Raducanu family moved to Britain when she was two. A top junior, she received a wildcard into the main draw this year. Having defeated the world No 150 Vitalia Diatchenko in round one, she took her game to a new level altogether as she beat the left-handed Vondrousova, a win that will move her up more than 100 places from her current ranking of No 338.

An excellent athlete and superb ball-striker, what was perhaps more impressive was that she did not panic when she trailed 3-0 in the second set, storming back for victory, taking in the fans’ roars around Court 12. Her reward is a meeting with Romania’s Sorana Cirstea, who beat Victoria Azarenka in a high-quality three-setter. On the evidence of Raducanu’s first two wins, anything is possible.

Edited by Vesper

😿

Wimbledon 2021: Emma Raducanu is 'feeling better' after retiring from fourth-round match

https://www.bbc.com/sport/tennis/57737252

Emma Raducanu says the "whole experience" of her run to the Wimbledon fourth round "caught up" with her but she is "feeling better" after Monday's mid-match retirement.

The 18-year-old Briton said she "started to breathe heavily and felt dizzy" after the first set against Ajla Tomljanovic of Australia.

She described not being able to carry on as "the hardest thing in the world".

"I will cherish everything we have achieved together this week," she said.

Raducanu was trailing 4-6 0-3 to Tomljanovic when she became unwell, leaving the court before it was announced she would not be returning.

Raducanu said on Tuesday she began to feel ill after some "super intense rallies" during the first set.

"I found it hard to regulate my breathing and it made it tough for me to keep my composure and breathing in check" she told Sue Barker on BBC TV.

"At the beginning of the second set was when I was struggling with it the most and I called the trainer.

"I don't know what caused it, I think it was a combination of everything that has gone on behind the scenes and the accumulation of the excitement and the buzz."

1 hour ago, Hermione said:

This is really sad, he is one of the most boring players in tennis history and his luck is apparently never ending.

and an anti-vaxxer nutter

but unfortunately he will likely end up with 25 or more Grand Slam singles wins

• 2 months later...

'I'll frame the Queen's letter': Emma Raducanu, 18, says it 'meant everything to get message from Her Majesty' after US Open triumph - and is now 'ready for anything' after becoming UK's first female Grand Slam champ in 44 years

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-9982295/Emma-Raducanu-says-shell-frame-Queens-letter-Open-triumph.html

Emma Raducanu said it 'meant everything' to get a letter from the Queen congratulating the teenager 
Raducanu, 18, beat 19-year-old Canadian Leylah Fernandez 6-4, 6-3, at Flushing Meadows on Saturday night
She makes history as the first Briton to win a Grand Slam since Virginia Wade at Wimbledon in 1977   
Her victory earned congratulations from the Queen, Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, and Boris Johnson    
Raducanu wins £1.8m - more than eight times her current career earnings - and moves from rank 150 to 23  

Raducanu looks overjoyed as she holds her first major trophy aloft. Speaking afterwards, Raducanu appeared totally stunned, saying: 'I'm still just so shocked, still in the moment. I can't believe I came through that last service game. It honestly means absolutely everything to hold this trophy. I just don't want to let go'

British tennis superstar Emma Raducanu said it 'meant everything' to get a letter from the Queen congratulating the teenager on her astonishing US Open victory on Saturday and revealed she is planning on framing the note from Her Majesty.

The 18-year-old from Kent, who became Britain's first female Grand Slam champion in 44 years after beating Canadian rival Lelyah Fernandez in straight sets at Flushing Meadows, also said she is 'ready' to deal with 'anything that comes my way'.

In an interview with the BBC after posing for photos outside Arthur Ashe Stadium, Raducanu said: 'It meant everything to get a message from Her Majesty. She's such a great inspiration and role model for the whole country so to have a note from her...

'I was extremely honoured and very very grateful that she took notice of my tennis. I can't believe it. I'm maybe going to frame that letter or something.' 

A message from the Queen at Balmoral to the teenager read: 'I send my congratulations to you on your success in winning the United States Open Tennis Championships. It is a remarkable achievement at such a young age, and is testament to your hard work and dedication.

'I have no doubt your outstanding performance, and that of your opponent, Leylah Fernandez, will inspire the next generation of tennis players. I send my warmest good wishes to you and your many supporters.'  

Emma Raducanu poses outside Arthur Ashe Stadium with the championship trophy after she defeated Leylah Fernandez in the women's singles final of the US Open tennis championships

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge also hailed Raducanu's 'stunning performances and historic Grand Slam victory', while Prime Minister Boris Johnson said 'we are all hugely proud of you' as he praised the Briton's 'extraordinary skill, poise and guts'. 

The 18-year-old from Kent fell to the ground and put her hands over her face after beating the 19-year-old Canadian 6-4, 6-3, in front of an enthralled Arthur Ashe Stadium in Flushing Meadows.

Raducanu, who was sitting her A-levels earlier this year, sealed her victory in straight sets (6-4, 6-3) - becoming the first Briton to win a major since Virginia Wade at Wimbledon in 1977 and is the first qualifier to triumph in a Grand Slam, in either the men's or women's game. 

Life will never be the same again for the teenager, who was born in Canada and moved to London when she was just two, as she claims a £1.8million cheque - more than her entire career winnings to date - and soars up the rankings from 150 to 23. 

Raducanu plants a kiss on the coveted US Open trophy as the adoring fans at Flushing Meadows applaud and cheer the young Briton who has made history - not just as the first Brit to win a major in 44 years, but as the first qualifier to claim a major title, in either the men's or the women's game

'I'm still just so shocked, still in the moment,' a stunned Raducanu said after the historic match. 'I can't believe I came through that last service game. It honestly means absolutely everything to hold this trophy. I just don't want to let go.' 

Tennis pundits heralded the victory as a landmark victory for the sport. Wimbledon champion Chris Evert said: 'It's a miracle. This is a kid no one had ever heard of until a couple of weeks ago. Now she's the biggest name in sport. She's stolen all our hearts.'  

Emma Raducanu fell to the ground and put her hands over her face after beating the Canadian 6-4, 6-3, in front of 24,000 at the Arthur Ashe Stadium in New York.Fans stand for the national anthem at the Arthur Ashe Stadium in New York on Saturday afternoon

The match was preceded by a poignant ceremony to mark the 20th anniversary of 9/11, with a massive Stars and Stripes flag unfurled by female cadets, while a '9-11-01' stencil has been painted onto the court