Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

Jadon Sancho

El P.
Followers 2

21 minutes ago, DDA said:

I would take Sancho over any winger we currently have. 

He is a World Class player who performs at the highest level week in, week out. 

And he isn't even at his peak yet.

Proven goal scorer as well. I'd chuck 50 million + CHO. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If true, I don't blame ManU at all for this decision. Clubs should at least try to get some sanity back into the transfer market.

No chance whatsoever Dortmund wins the title next season, Bayern owns that league from top to bottom.

For some bizzare reason praise of Odoi is treated as an unpopular opinion these days but I feel we're in for a breakthrough from him next season/restart of this. In January he really stepped up a leve

Posted Images

On 16/05/2021 at 18:36, Special Juan said:

Ziyech is laughable, absolute shit can of a footballer.

This is not what everyone was saying when we signed him

On 19/05/2021 at 16:38, chippy said:

Can see why no other top clubs were interested in him. Number one on my list to sell this summer!

It's a buyer beware warning. Anytime a supposedly top level player is available to Chelsea it is because none of the more immediately attractive clubs is interested. One 'big' club might misjudge a player and pass because they fail to recognise his level or perhaps because they don't have a need. When every club ahead of Chelsea pass however, there is always a reason for that. This brings us back to Sancho.

I'm not saying you refuse to buy a player because the clubs players generally prefer to join don't want him. I am saying though that you accurately calibrate the footballer you are chasing and avoid being suckered into overpaying. Havertz is a good example. I'm glad we have him but as soon as it became clear that we might actually get Kai I realised that I had been overrating him and toned down my expectations. This may also bring us back to Sancho.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

It's a buyer beware warning. Anytime a supposedly top level player is available to Chelsea it is because none of the more immediately attractive clubs is interested. One 'big' club might misjudge a player and pass because they fail to recognise his level or perhaps because they don't have a need. When every club ahead of Chelsea pass however, there is always a reason for that. This brings us back to Sancho.

I'm not saying you refuse to buy a player because the clubs players generally prefer to join don't want him. I am saying though that you accurately calibrate the footballer you are chasing and avoid being suckered into overpaying. Havertz is a good example. I'm glad we have him but as soon as it became clear that we might actually get Kai I realised that I had been overrating him and toned down my expectations. This may also bring us back to Sancho.

Good points.

The fee for Kai was ridiculous. For sure, sometimes clubs take a punt on young talent and pay good money for them, but the money we paid for Kai was a proven talent level fee.

I'd also be very wary about spending a huge amount on Sancho. Doing well in the German league is very different from being able to cut it at a top four club in England.

11 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

By who? I don't think the club regard him as such.

I am more talking about fans in the ground. When I go I find AC never gets mentioned as a HG player, whereas Ethan does.

13 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Think the main reason no one went for Ziyech is because he played in the Dutch Eredivisie. Players who come to the Premier League from that league do not have a great record in England.

And the main reason why we were able to get Havertz unopposed was because the others couldn't afford him last summer, when the pandemic first hit clubs. We could afford him because of Roman and the unspent money from the summer before.

According to The Athletic, United are still after Sancho and are ahead of the queue. 70-80 million could be enough to get him this summer.

5 hours ago, King Kante said:

I am more talking about fans in the ground. When I go I find AC never gets mentioned as a HG player, whereas Ethan does.

I'm really surprised by this because that is not what I found. Anyway, I'm on record as saying that I do not think Ethan will make it as a Chelsea player. Hopefully for the lad I will be wrong.

2 hours ago, Jas said:

Think the main reason no one went for Ziyech is because he played in the Dutch Eredivisie. Players who come to the Premier League from that league do not have a great record in England.

And the main reason why we were able to get Havertz unopposed was because the others couldn't afford him last summer, when the pandemic first hit clubs. We could afford him because of Roman and the unspent money from the summer before.

On Hakim, did that stop clubs in Germany, Italy and Spain wanting to take him? Stories like these are publicised but I do not believe them. If there was a player a top club genuinely wanted they would have thrown their hats into the ring.

21 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

On Hakim, did that stop clubs in Germany, Italy and Spain wanting to take him? Stories like these are publicised but I do not believe them. If there was a player a top club genuinely wanted they would have thrown their hats into the ring.

Can't remember if there were other clubs interested in him. We confirmed the signing in February last year, IIRC.

35 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

I don't know how far things went with regards to bids, etc but there appeared to be a very public pursuit by Bayern for him in the summer of 2019 but I don't think they could come to an agreement with Ajax and Ziyech signed a new contract and agreed to stay an extra year.

I'm reserving judgement on all the summer signings and want to see how they fare in season 2 when fans are back and they are able to start living a bit more of a normal life whilst adapting to a new country and culture. I think Werner and Havertz in particular will be a success during their Chelsea careers but I'm also not prepared to give up on him so easily. I think his skillset is unique in comparison to our other attackers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Jas said:

Can't remember if there were other clubs interested in him. We confirmed the signing in February last year, IIRC.

His agent would certainly have investigated if there was any interest from other clubs. If, say, Bayern had been interested and they offered him a realistic prospect of being in the regular rotation, Hakim wouldn't be here.

1 minute ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

His agent would certainly have investigated if there was any interest from other clubs. If, say, Bayern had been interested and they offered him a realistic prospect of being in the regular rotation, Hakim wouldn't be here.

Ziyech should be in no position to reject Southampton let alone a better team, this guy is a complete fraud.

17 minutes ago, R2D2 said:

Ziyech should be in no position to reject Southampton let alone a better team, this guy is a complete fraud.

The point we've been discussing is that genuinely top level players have options when seeking a transfer. Such players generally prefer some other clubs over Chelsea so if they end up here it is a sure sign that none of the preferred clubs were interested. When the list of usual suspects pass on a player it's a good clue that he is not genuinely top level. The example I gave was Havertz. When I first saw him I thought every club in the world would want him so there was no chance we'd get him. As soon as I realised that in fact we had a strong chance of getting him, I also realised that I must have been overrating him and lowered my expectations accordingly.

There was a lot of excitement when Hakim signed but he could never have been as good as his reviews. If he was he probably would not have been at Ajax, and he certainly would not have moved from there to here.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie
  • Like 2
4 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

The point we've been discussing is that genuinely top level players have options when seeking a transfer. Such players generally prefer some other clubs over Chelsea so if they end up here it is a sure sign that none of the preferred clubs were interested. When the list of usual suspects pass on a player it's a good clue that he is not genuinely top level. The example I gave was Havertz. When I first saw him I thought every club in the world would want him so there was no chance we'd get him. As soon as I realised that in fact we had a strong chance of getting him, I also realised that I must have been overrating him and lowered my expectations accordingly.

There was a lot of excitement when Hakim signed but he could never have been as good as his reviews. If he was he probably would not have been at Ajax, and he certainly would not have moved from there to here.

when Hazard picked Chelsea, did that diminish his class? a lot more come to play when players are making their choice. it could money, allure of epl, desire to live in London etc 

6 hours ago, y10edn said:

when Hazard picked Chelsea, did that diminish his class? a lot more come to play when players are making their choice. it could money, allure of epl, desire to live in London etc 

Eden said that he would have gone to Madrid, who made an offer for him, but they were not ready to play him; they were basically intending to park him for a season or two. That allowed us to move up the pecking order. He thought he may as well play somewhere else for a couple of seasons and then go to Madrid. It didn't work out that way but that was his plan.

All of the factors you mention obviously play a part but the overall point made above stands. A number of players have turned Chelsea down in the past then announced that they could have made more money at Stamford Bridge but they made a different choice even so. 

Gotta hope we go for him, yes we struggle finishing and he isn't the most letal but the creativity he delivers far surpass anything we have in this team.

• 4 weeks later...