Gaming discussion #2

LAM09

1 minute ago, LAM09 said:
1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:
I guess the question is - is it worth buying (would plan to buy on the Switch if that makes any difference)?

I think at a decent price (Switch game prices can be absurd), yes. However, I'd be worried about the Switch player base if online was something you were mainly after.

WTF are Switch games expensive? I wasnt aware.

They generally stay at RRP and hardly ever drop, especially if they are First party games (Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, etc). This applies to all 3DS as well. 

There are few workarounds to save a bit of money where digital titles are concerned, though.

1 minute ago, LAM09 said:

They generally stay at RRP and hardly ever drop, especially if they are First party games (Mario, Pokemon, Zelda, etc). This applies to all 3DS as well.

There are few workarounds to save a few quid with digital titles, though.

Damn didnt know that, its typical Nintendo though. I remember Snes games was the same, alot of GC games too.

47 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

Yep Zelda has been out about 2 years now and you'd still pay £40 second hand on eBay. Without the box and just the cartridge would still be around £35.

Pretty incredible really because most X Box and PlayStation games you can pick up for around half price within 6-12 months.

11 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Yep Zelda has been out about 2 years now and you'd still pay £40 second hand on eBay. Without the box and just the cartridge would still be around £35.

Pretty incredible really because most X Box and PlayStation games you can pick up for around half price within 6-12 months.

Exactly, find it odd that Switch games can demand such a Premium when like you said PS and Box are much lower. Has Switch been a success?

41 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

Exactly, find it odd that Switch games can demand such a Premium when like you said PS and Box are much lower. Has Switch been a success?

Nintendo are clearly the most innovative of the main console developers and more prepared to take risks. The Nintendo DS with the additional touch screen, Wii with the motion control, and now the Switch which allows you to use it as both a home console plugged into the TV and a handheld console. The handheld option is a touch of genius in my opinion because the Gameboy and DS favour comparably with the PlayStation 1, 2 and 4 which were all massive sellers. They've also just released the Switch Lite which is handheld only and can't be used on a TV but is a little smaller and lighter so better suited to handheld gaming. It still plays Switch games so they've basically managed to replace the Wii and DS in one focused console.

In terms of current gen consoles, I believe the Switch has about half the sales of the PlayStation 4 but was only released in 2017 compared to 2013 with the PS4 and therefore is still holding it's price with the demand (I brought ours for Xmas 2018 and I believe the price was still very similar this Xmas gone). As the price drops over time, I'd expect sales to continue to increase, especially as Nintendo are only looking at releasing a Switch Pro and not a Switch 2 when the PS5 and X Box X are due to be released at the end of this year. The Switch has already outsold the X Box One though, again despite being released 4 years early.

They probably have less titles that would appeal to 'hardcore' gamers although those that they do have are probably amongst the best around. I've not played Zelda but it's reviews are superb. We have Mario Odyssey and that is excellent too. And then there's the Pokemon and Animal Crossing franchises which carry huge fan bases.

But where they do excel is the party/family games and appealing to the casual gamer. With a 6 and 9 year old, it does appeal much wider to us as a family than just my PlayStation 4 does. Mario Kart, Mario Party, Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, etc. It's just something really fun to throw on for an hour in the evening with the wife and kids; Like the modern equivalent of getting a board game out!

1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Nintendo are clearly the most innovative of the main console developers and more prepared to take risks. The Nintendo DS with the additional touch screen, Wii with the motion control, and now the Switch which allows you to use it as both a home console plugged into the TV and a handheld console. The handheld option is a touch of genius in my opinion because the Gameboy and DS favour comparably with the PlayStation 1, 2 and 4 which were all massive sellers. They've also just released the Switch Lite which is handheld only and can't be used on a TV but is a little smaller and lighter so better suited to handheld gaming. It still plays Switch games so they've basically managed to replace the Wii and DS in one focused console.

In terms of current gen consoles, I believe the Switch has about half the sales of the PlayStation 4 but was only released in 2017 compared to 2013 with the PS4 and therefore is still holding it's price with the demand (I brought ours for Xmas 2018 and I believe the price was still very similar this Xmas gone). As the price drops over time, I'd expect sales to continue to increase, especially as Nintendo are only looking at releasing a Switch Pro and not a Switch 2 when the PS5 and X Box X are due to be released at the end of this year. The Switch has already outsold the X Box One though, again despite being released 4 years early.

They probably have less titles that would appeal to 'hardcore' gamers although those that they do have are probably amongst the best around. I've not played Zelda but it's reviews are superb. We have Mario Odyssey and that is excellent too. And then there's the Pokemon and Animal Crossing franchises which carry huge fan bases.

But where they do excel is the party/family games and appealing to the casual gamer. With a 6 and 9 year old, it does appeal much wider to us as a family than just my PlayStation 4 does. Mario Kart, Mario Party, Mario and Sonic at the Olympics, etc. It's just something really fun to throw on for an hour in the evening with the wife and kids; Like the modern equivalent of getting a board game out!

ImageImageImageImage

3 hours ago, Superblue_1986 said:

They sure are innovative, and def much more family oriented. I must admit I stopped with Nintendo after the Gamecube. They got too kiddy-like for my taste but still could pump quality here and there.

Crazy they have outsold xbox1 though....there is a reason its called xbone I guess lmao. Yeah I can see them pump out a pro version instead of a new console, besides they know they cant touch Sony unless they have the backing of the developers and most of all a kick ass hardware.

Im on the verge of getting a consolized CPS2 Capcom hardware, so many great games on that one and you can just connect it to your CRT tv, so no arcade cabinet etc.

NOT EVERYONE GETS TO OWN A NINTENDO PLAYSTATION

The Rarest Game Console Ever Can Be Yours… For Just $360,000 (or a lot more)

https://gearpatrol.com/2020/02/14/nintendo-playstation-auction/

Nitendo-Auction-gear-patrol-full-lead.jpg

Back before Nintendo decided to make the cartridge-based Nintendo 64 and before Sony decided to make its line of disc-based PlayStation consoles, there was a brief collaboration between the two giants. The result? The rare, prototype “Nintendo PlayStation.” It obviously never came to market, but a prototype is up for auction and may well go for upwards of $1 million.

Its original owners came into possession of the strange piece of video game history through a bankruptcy auction that included items from a former Sony CEO. The strange device, one of only about 200 hundred prototypes ever made, is the only surviving console known to have survived. The auction, which will continue for 21 more days, has already attracted big bids, with the price already up to over $300,000 and is attracting attention from people with mountains of cash, who you’d be hard-pressed to outbid.

The owners of the console reportedly turned down a $1.2 million offer to purchase the device outright, which says plenty about how high they expect the number to go. This could wind up being the most expensive video game console of all time.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/video-games/nintendo/nintendo-play-station-super-nes-cd-rom-prototype-sony-and-nintendo-c-1992/a/7224-93060.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515#auction-info

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎15‎-‎02‎-‎2020 at 4:58 PM, Vesper said:

NOT EVERYONE GETS TO OWN A NINTENDO PLAYSTATION

The Rarest Game Console Ever Can Be Yours… For Just $360,000

https://gearpatrol.com/2020/02/14/nintendo-playstation-auction/

Nitendo-Auction-gear-patrol-full-lead.jpg

Back before Nintendo decided to make the cartridge-based Nintendo 64 and before Sony decided to make its line of disc-based PlayStation consoles, there was a brief collaboration between the two giants. The result? The rare, prototype “Nintendo PlayStation.” It obviously never came to market, but a prototype is up for auction and may well go for upwards of $1 million.

Its original owners came into possession of the strange piece of video game history through a bankruptcy auction that included items from a former Sony CEO. The strange device, one of only about 200 hundred prototypes ever made, is the only surviving console known to have survived. The auction, which will continue for 21 more days, has already attracted big bids, with the price already up to over $300,000 and is attracting attention from people with mountains of cash, who you’d be hard-pressed to outbid.

The owners of the console reportedly turned down a $1.2 million offer to purchase the device outright, which says plenty about how high they expect the number to go. This could wind up being the most expensive video game console of all time.

https://comics.ha.com/itm/video-games/nintendo/nintendo-play-station-super-nes-cd-rom-prototype-sony-and-nintendo-c-1992/a/7224-93060.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515#auction-info

Damn.....do people have this much money that they willingly will pay this much? And I thought Neo-Geo was expensive.

• 2 weeks later...