Tomo
Followers 13

• Replies 11.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Chelsea :Werner, Ziyech, Havertz, Silva, Sarr, Chilwell. Man United in talks with the Greek Police 

Posted Images

Well, last team that won title over PSG gave some amazing players. Mbappe, Silva, Fabinho and some flops like Bakayoko, Lemar, Sidibe...

Lille is still top of the table with 9 games to go.

I am sure they have same good players for top teams. I noticed most mentioned one Soumare is usually on the bench.

28 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

10 years later is happening!

Nice. We can add one more name to the list of great strikers who joined us after their prime(Shevchenko, Torres, Anelka, Pato, Falcao. However he wouldn’t cost any money, no big risk.

3 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

10 years later is happening!

3 hours ago, nyikolajevics said:

Nice. We can add one more name to the list of great strikers who joined us after their prime(Shevchenko, Torres, Anelka, Pato, Falcao. However he wouldn’t cost any money, no big risk.

Regardless, not in his prime or whatever, it would not be a bad move, it would be a very shrewd move for a season or two. He would still be one of the first names on City’s team sheet and in all likelihood would of been more often this season if not for the injuries he’s pocked up this season which has led to Pep experimenting and finding huge success with utilising a false 9.

Tend to remember people scoffed at United getting Cavani, due to his age, fitness issues at PSG the season before, the speed and physicality of the PL etc but he has contributed 8 goal involvements in the PL in 925 minutes. 

For guys like Aguero, Cavani, Ibrahimovich amongst a collective group, which Thiago Silva is also in, the age is irrelevant really because they are still more than capable of delivering the goods.

5 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Regardless, not in his prime or whatever, it would not be a bad move, it would be a very shrewd move for a season or two. He would still be one of the first names on City’s team sheet and in all likelihood would of been more often this season if not for the injuries he’s pocked up this season which has led to Pep experimenting and finding huge success with utilising a false 9.

Tend to remember people scoffed at United getting Cavani, due to his age, fitness issues at PSG the season before, the speed and physicality of the PL etc but he has contributed 8 goal involvements in the PL in 925 minutes. 

For guys like Aguero, Cavani, Ibrahimovich amongst a collective group, which Thiago Silva is also in, the age is irrelevant really because they are still more than capable of delivering the goods.

But the problem with Aguero is that he has been rather injury prone. Do we really need a player like that, even as a backup never mind a starter? 

• Like 1
Just now, Jason said:

But the problem with Aguero is that he has been rather injury prone. Do we really need a player like that, even as a backup never mind a starter? 

If Giroud leaves he is welcomed, much like Thiago can help the youngsters with his experience, play some games here and there, wouldn't be against this, especially if we fail to get a top class ST.

Just now, R2D2 said:

If Giroud leaves he is welcomed, much like Thiago can help the youngsters with his experience, play some games here and there, wouldn't be against this, especially if we fail to get a top class ST.

Not confident of getting Haaland all of a sudden? 🤪

As I said though, Aguero has been injury prone. Is he worth the outlay, even as a free agent, even for a sub? Moreover, it always feels like Aguero needs to be playing a run of games to get really firing as opposed to someone who can just come in and make an impact. Also, we don't know if he's happy being a sub at this point of his career or does he still want to play week in week out. 

As for him helping youngsters and all that, not sure he's a leader figure like that, like Silva and Giroud. 

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Jason said:

Not confident of getting Haaland all of a sudden? 🤪

As I said though, Aguero has been injury prone. Is he worth the outlay, even as a free agent, even for a sub? Moreover, it always feels like Aguero needs to be playing a run of games to get really firing as opposed to someone who can just come in and make an impact. Also, we don't know if he's happy being a sub at this point of his career or does he still want to play week in week out. 

As for him helping youngsters and all that, not sure he's a leader figure like that, like Silva and Giroud. 

Can never be certain of course, if we decide it's to much money we might avoid but if rumours are true and Roman is interested and wants to go all in to bring Haaland him I think our chances are pretty good.

Assuming we don't get a top class striker, he might be playing as a starter more often than not and if not maybe he is ok with this and simply wants to stay in the Premier League as a back up.

If the rumours are true I think there is a place for him in this squad should it happen, he has to much quality even at his age and his injury record, worst case we just pay his wages and that's it, we don't lose much either way. It's a low risk, high reward chance.

Edited by R2D2
3 hours ago, R2D2 said:

Can never be certain of course, if we decide it's to much money we might avoid but if rumours are true and Roman is interested and wants to go all in to bring Haaland him I think our chances are pretty good.

Assuming we don't get a top class striker, he might be playing as a starter more often than not and if not maybe he is ok with this and simply wants to stay in the Premier League as a back up.

If the rumours are true I think there is a place for him in this squad should it happen, he has to much quality even at his age and his injury record, worst case we just pay his wages and that's it, we don't lose much either way. It's a low risk, high reward chance.

If we pay only Aguero's wages, you would still want a return of investment from him. The club wouldn't want to pay big wages for someone that could spend half of the time on the treatment table, especially when that someone is already 30+ years old and I believe Aguero is on big wages at City. Plus given how people usually complain and get frustrated about Pulisic's injury record when he does get injured, the same thing would just be happening here.

• Like 1

I can't take another 30+ year old leading the line anymore. Years of Eto'o, Falcao, Higuain, Giroud...There were some good moments there - especially Giroud - but its time to bring a striker in his prime

Werner showed yesterday how pressing from the striker is crucial - charged down the Atleti cross before the counter that led to the first goal

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Run into a Chelsea leader in the parking lot 🤣

Willy? Who else has a personal relationship with Aguero/Dybala? God what a sad bloke if they just conjured that up. 

7 hours ago, Jason said:

Tbf though this is the first season in his 10 seasons in England where it looks like he may struggle to reach 25 appearances in the PL, which even then I think theres still 10 games or so left so he will break 20 appearances surely unless Pep continues with his false 9 system a lot.

It appears he has missed 51 games in all competitions in the last 3 seasons according to this (https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sergio-aguero/verletzungen/spieler/26399) but considering he had a knee injury last season which he was out for 115 days - which equals to 17 of those games and then missed 10 due to contracting covid (which is a one off and hopefully be an avoidable issue for next season with these vaccines and procedures clubs set), only missing 24 games across the last 3 seasons (averaging 7 per season across all competitions in seasons which there are easily 50+ games) due to smaller injuries, its not that bad. It’s actually probably pretty routine to miss a handful of games each season. That knee injury last season is the only big sort of injury that has kept him out for a significant period of time. Would say for someone who is 32 (I think 32 anyway, maybe 33 at a push?) and has been playing most weeks for the best part of 15 years, as well as regularly with his national team at friends, qualifiers and then repeating tournaments like the World Cups and Copa Americas, that is hardly that bad at injury record at club level.

It was effectively the same argument when we were linked with Cavani last season. Aguero usually gets around 10-15 PL goals every season as a minimum if he plays in 20-25 games either as a starter/sub. Even then, managed correctly, he would still do the business. 100%.

I do think City would be fools to let him go as well in all honesty. Its like PSG with Thiago in the summer also, which was our gain. For me, Aguero is still an elite player, I think it would be mad to not consider him if he is available for a season or two at least on a free. Obviously as well if Haaland goes elsewhere as most imagine, again, top CFs will be hard to come by and if City don’t get Haaland they will in all likelihood try and retain Aguero you would think. But we will see. 

Edited by OneMoSalah
  • Like 1
On 18/03/2021 at 17:11, OneMoSalah said:

Tbf though this is the first season in his 10 seasons in England where it looks like he may struggle to reach 25 appearances in the PL, which even then I think theres still 10 games or so left so he will break 20 appearances surely unless Pep continues with his false 9 system a lot.

It appears he has missed 51 games in all competitions in the last 3 seasons according to this (https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/sergio-aguero/verletzungen/spieler/26399) but considering he had a knee injury last season which he was out for 115 days - which equals to 17 of those games and then missed 10 due to contracting covid (which is a one off and hopefully be an avoidable issue for next season with these vaccines and procedures clubs set), only missing 24 games across the last 3 seasons (averaging 7 per season across all competitions in seasons which there are easily 50+ games) due to smaller injuries, its not that bad. It’s actually probably pretty routine to miss a handful of games each season. That knee injury last season is the only big sort of injury that has kept him out for a significant period of time. Would say for someone who is 32 (I think 32 anyway, maybe 33 at a push?) and has been playing most weeks for the best part of 15 years, as well as regularly with his national team at friends, qualifiers and then repeating tournaments like the World Cups and Copa Americas, that is hardly that bad at injury record at club level.

It was effectively the same argument when we were linked with Cavani last season. Aguero usually gets around 10-15 PL goals every season as a minimum if he plays in 20-25 games either as a starter/sub. Even then, managed correctly, he would still do the business. 100%.

I do think City would be fools to let him go as well in all honesty. Its like PSG with Thiago in the summer also, which was our gain. For me, Aguero is still an elite player, I think it would be mad to not consider him if he is available for a season or two at least on a free. Obviously as well if Haaland goes elsewhere as most imagine, again, top CFs will be hard to come by and if City don’t get Haaland they will in all likelihood try and retain Aguero you would think. But we will see. 

I agree. Agüero's inury problems are greatly exaggerated as a smoke screen for Pep to phase him out due to his dislike for him. I would rather have signed him 10 years ago, but Agüero still is only the same age as Lewandowski who is in the form of his life. If given confidence again and if he stayed injury free i could easily see Agüero having another 20+ goals season in PL.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

Bamford would be nice backup here. 

Upgrade on Tammy and suited for Tuchel's football. 

Knew someone would suggest it at some point.

He’s always been a decent all round player but lets see what like his return is next season, could be a one season wonder in terms of his goals, might not be.

He has impressed me but at the same time I always think it is easy to get carried away with these sort of players, look at Teemu Pukki, Amir Zaki, Michu, Roque Santa-Cruz... all one season wonders in terms of their goal returns in their first PL season, yet people probably thought they could play for a higher team yet they never did or were never at the level.

Plus why would he come here when he is effectively one of the first names on the Leeds team sheet and was really close to getting in the England team? Would be the stupidest move out there. Everyone always think players want to be back ups and maybe there is a percentage who do but guys who are inching towards their NT squad don’t want to be backups realistically. Which is why Abraham is also probably unhappy with his situation this season since Tuchel’s came in.