Billy Gilmour

the wes

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, lucio said:

Any medical guys here ? Does a meniscius tear impair your mobility long term ? (Like a ligament knee injury)

Torn Meniscus

https://www.medicinenet.com/torn_meniscus/article.htm

Torn meniscus facts

The medial and lateral menisci are two large C-shaped cartilages that are positioned on the top of the tibia bone at the knee.
The knee is the largest joint in the body.
Cartilage within the knee joint helps protect the joint from the stresses placed on it from walking, running, climbing, and bending.
A torn meniscus occurs because of trauma caused by forceful twisting or hyper-flexing of the knee joint.
Symptoms of a torn meniscus include knee pain, swelling, popping, and giving way.
Treatment of a torn meniscus may include observation and physical therapy with muscle strengthening to stabilize the knee joint. When conservative measures are ineffective treatment may include surgery to repair or remove the damaged cartilage.

Introduction to the knee

Anatomy illustration of the knee.

The knee is the largest joint in the body. The knee allows the leg to bend where the femur (thighbone) attaches to the tibia (shinbone). The knee flexes and extends, allowing the body to perform many activities, from walking and running to climbing and squatting. There are a variety of structures that surround the knee and allow it to bend and that protect the knee joint from injury.

The quadriceps and hamstring muscles are responsible for moving the knee joint. When the quadriceps muscles (located on the front the thigh) contract, the knee extends or straightens. The hamstring muscles, located on the back of the thigh, are responsible for flexing or bending the knee. These muscles are also important in protecting the knee from being injured by acting to stabilize the knee and preventing it from being pushed in directions that it isn't meant to go.

There are four ligaments that also stabilize the knee joint at rest and during movement: the medical and lateral collateral ligaments (MCL, LCL) and the anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments (ACL, PCL).

Cartilage within the joint provides the cushioning to protect the bones from the routine stresses of walking, running, and climbing. The medial and lateral meniscus are two thicker wedge-shaped pads of cartilage attached to top of the tibia (shin bone), called the tibial plateau. Each meniscus is curved in a C-shape, with the front part of the cartilage called the anterior horn and the back part called the posterior horn.

There is also articular cartilage that lines the joint surfaces of the bones within the knee, including the tibia, femur, and kneecap (patella). The terminology torn knee cartilage refers to damage to one of the C-shaped menisci of the knee between the femur and tibia.

As with any injury in the body, when the meniscus is damaged, irritation occurs. If the surface that allows the bones to glide over each other in the knee joint is no longer smooth, pain can occur with each flexion or extension. The meniscus can be damaged because of a single event or it can gradually wear out because of age and overuse, causing degenerative tears.

What is a torn meniscus?

Illustration of a torn meniscus.

A torn meniscus is damage from a tear in the cartilage that is positioned on top of the tibia to allows the femur to glide when the knee joint moves. Tears are usually described by where they are located anatomically in the C shape and by their appearance (for example, "bucket handle" tear, longitudinal, parrot beak, and transverse). While physical examination may predict whether it is the medial or lateral meniscus that is damaged, a diagnostic procedure, like an MRI or arthroscopic surgery, can locate the specific part of the cartilage anatomy that is torn and its appearance.

Because the blood supply is different to each part of the meniscus, knowing where the tear is located may help decide how easily an injury might heal (with or without surgery). The better the blood supply, the better the potential for recovery. The outside rim of cartilage has better blood supply than the central part of the "C." Blood supply to knee cartilage also decreases with age, and up to 20% of normal blood supply is lost by age 40.

What causes a meniscus to tear?

A forceful twist or sudden stop can cause the end of the femur to grind into the top of the tibia, pinching and potentially tearing the cartilage of the meniscus. This knee injury can also occur with deep squatting or kneeling, especially when lifting a heavy weight. Meniscus tear injuries often occur during athletic activities, especially in contact sports like football and hockey. Motions that require pivoting and sudden stops, in sports like tennis, basketball, and golf, can also cause meniscus damage. The sports injury does not have to occur during a game but can also occur in practice, where the same motions lead to meniscus damage.

The risk of developing a torn meniscus increases with age because cartilage begins to gradually wear out, losing its blood supply and its resilience. Increasing body weight also puts more stress on the meniscus. Routine daily activities like walking and climbing stairs increase the potential for wear, degeneration, and tearing. It is estimated that six out of 10 patients older than 65 years have a degenerative meniscus tear. Many of these tears may never cause problems.

Because some of the fibers of the cartilage are interconnected with those of the ligaments that surround the knee, meniscus injuries may be associated with tears of the collateral and cruciate ligaments, depending upon the mechanism of injury.

While the normal cartilage is "C" or crescent shaped, there is a variant shape that is oval or discoid. This meniscus is thicker and more prone to injury and tearing.

What are symptoms and signs of a torn meniscus?

Very often, meniscal tears do not cause symptoms or problems. However, some people with a torn meniscus know exactly when they hurt their knee. There may be acute onset of knee pain and the patient may actually hear or feel a pop in their knee. As with any injury, there is an inflammatory response, including pain and swelling. The swelling within the knee joint from a torn meniscus usually takes a few hours to develop, and depending upon the amount of pain and fluid accumulation, the knee may become difficult to move. When fluid accumulates within the enclosed area of the knee joint, it may be difficult and painful to fully extend or straighten the knee, since the knee has the most space available when it is about 15 degrees flexed.

In some situations, the amount of swelling may not necessarily be enough to notice. Sometimes, the patient isn't aware of the initial injury but starts noting symptoms that develop later. Moreover, there may not be an acute injury. The knee cartilage may become damaged as a consequence of aging, arthritis, and wearing away of the meniscus causing a degenerative meniscal tear.

After the injury, the knee joint irritation may gradually settle down and feel relatively normal as the initial inflammatory response resolves. However, other symptoms may develop over time and may include any or all of the following:

Pain with running or walking longer distances

Intermittent swelling of the knee joint: Many times, the knee with a torn meniscus feels "tight."

Popping, especially when climbing up or down stairs

Giving way or buckling (the sensation that the knee is unstable and the feeling that the knee will give way): Less commonly, the knee actually will give way and cause the patient to fall.

Locking (a mechanical block where the knee cannot be fully extended or straightened): This occurs when a piece of torn meniscus folds on itself and blocks full range of motion of the knee joint. The knee gets "stuck," usually flexed between 15 and 30 degrees and cannot bend or straighten from that position.

snip

What is rehabilitation and recovery like for a patient with a meniscus tear?

If a conservative, nonsurgical approach is taken, the pain and swelling of a torn meniscus should resolve within a few days. Recovery and rehabilitation becomes a long-term commitment, as does making certain that the muscles surrounding the knee are kept strong to promote joint stability. Maintaining an ideal body weight, and avoiding activities that cause pain are adjuncts that are often recommended.

If knee arthroscopy is performed, the rehabilitation process balances swelling and healing. The goal is to return range of motion to the knee as soon as possible. Physical therapy is an important part of the surgery process, and most therapists work with the orthopedic surgeon to return the patient to full function as soon as possible. Since the procedure usually is planned in advance, some health care professionals advocate pre-hab. With rehabilitation prior to the procedure, the patient begins strengthening exercises for the quadriceps and hamstring muscles before surgery to prevent the routine muscle weakness that may occur immediately after an operation.

After surgery, once the swelling in the knee joint resolves, the goal of therapy is to increase the strength of the muscles surrounding the knee, return range of motion to normal, and promote and preserve stability of the joint.

Elite athletes return to practice within one to two weeks after surgery, but they are a motivated group of people who spend hours each day in rehabilitation. For most other patients, return to mild routine activity occurs in less than six weeks.

Most patients do well after surgery. The prognosis for return to normal activity is good but depends upon the motivation of the patient to work hard with their physical therapist and to continue that work at home after formal therapy has been completed.

What are recommended exercises once a torn meniscus has been repaired?

Rehabilitation after an operation depends upon the individual patient and the response to surgery. Specific recommendations regarding weight-bearing and exercises will be customized for the patient by the surgeon and therapist.

Usually the goal is to return the knee to normal function within four to six weeks.

What is the prognosis of a torn meniscus? Is it possible to prevent a torn meniscus?

Most patients have their goals met by either conservative or surgical treatment, meaning that they are able to return to a normal level of function. This even includes both elite and recreational athletes who are able to return and compete in their sports.

Complications may occur during surgery. For meniscectomy, where the damaged cartilage is surgically removed, the rate of complication is less than 2%. This includes anesthetic complications, infection, and failure to prevent long-term stiffness, swelling, and recurrent pain. Other complications include deep vein thrombosis (blood clots in the leg) and the associated risks of the anesthetic. In patients who undergo meniscus repair, complications can occur in up to one-third of patients.

Once cartilage is damaged, it cannot be repaired to be as good as the original. For that reason, prevention may actually be the best treatment for a torn meniscus. A lifelong commitment to maintaining a healthy weight and avoiding injury will decrease the stress placed on the cartilage of the knee during daily activities. Keeping muscles strong and flexible will also help protect joints. For the knee, this includes not only the quadriceps and hamstring muscles but also those in the core and back.

23 minutes ago, lucio said:

Any medical guys here ? Does a meniscius tear impair your mobility long term ? (Like a ligament knee injury)

Depends on the tear. Usually, the meniscus only affects your mobility if there is partial cartilage sticking out. Surgery should fix that given they trim that off.

Since cartilage can't grow back, rehab is the most important thing for him right now. He will need to strengthen his knee (quads, glutes, hamstrings, etc) to avoid adding pressure to his knee. He does all that, he should be fine. 

It's amazing really. Torn cartilage is like having a 6th sense almost. My knee always aches when the weather is about to turn cold or if its going to rain. :lol:

59 minutes ago, King Kante said:

Be interesting to see what happens to Billy Goat next season. If Jorgi and Kante both stay, would it be wise to loan him?

Yes, loan him, but Jorginho and Kante both here still is a semi disaster. They both are rapidly lising value and both do not fit in well on the team (as we have no true compliment for Kante to play a double 8 pivot with).

Fuck Sarri, what a disaster he was, regardless of the trophy. He saddled us with Jorginho and wrecked Kante at multiple levels.

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Jorginho is actually a very good player he just doesn't fit the system we want to play.

A fully fit kante is world class and gets in every team in the prem and if we can have him back for the season it's definitely not close to a disaster to still have him.

35 minutes ago, Hutcho said:

Jorginho is actually a very good player he just doesn't fit the system we want to play.

A fully fit kante is world class and gets in every team in the prem and if we can have him back for the season it's definitely not close to a disaster to still have him.

Of course, not a disaster, just want to ensure Billy gets some significant game time. 

34 minutes ago, Hutcho said:

The problem is, even fully fit and in his prime he was never close to world class as a sitting DM and that appears to be where he's going to be playing.

Of course, not a disaster, just want to ensure Billy gets some significant game time. 
I dont like Billy as a dm. I think he has to play in a pivot with someone playing next to him with more strength. He may be a more tenacious tackler than jorginho, but a major problem both share is their lack of athleticism. I can't see billy having the physical qualities to play as a dm in the Premier league.

Busquets and Pirlo could hack it because they were ridiculous good, Busquets in particular was press proof, unbelievablely so.

In a 3 I think Billy would be better. I see some cesc in him

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

The problem is, even fully fit and in his prime he was never close to world class as a sitting DM and that appears to be where he's going to be playing.
I wouldn't agree with that. I believe his attributes make him very valuable wherever he plays although he doesn't benefit the system it appears we want to play as much as some other players (potentially) could.

However, we don't have those players barring Kova so right now I'd much rather have kante all day long.

Plus even those players who appear would fit in well I wouldn't bank on. Like everyone seems to think that declan rice would be the second coming of makelele. Personally I think he's extremely overhyped and a comparison with kante (at this stage) is laughable despite the system being advantageous to that the sort of player rice is. I don't hate rice at all and if we were to get him, he's still young and can become something special but I'd much rather play kante every day of the week (if he can stay fit).

Bit like billy gilmour. Absolute tremendous talent and could be super special but can't replace kante right now.

The only logical reason for selling kante is if we can get a massive fee because of his age and then replace him with a youngster who's value will rise. But from a pure fan point of view I'd rather have the better player for 2 years and worry about that then, especially as the figures talked about is only like 40mil

Everyone seems to be comparing players to each other. Way I see it is they all have strengths and weaknesses.

2 of the games I watched were Everton and Victimpool. ARGUABLY the 2 best games we played in the year. We were missing our supposed top 8 players thru injury and bans but the lads all went out just full of confidence and fought for every ball there was.

Little Billy G in those 2 games had no fear in him. He was a little scrapper. Like my old Jack Russell running after rats.

Me I was looking forward to seeing him play more with Kova. Theyre both good tacklers, attack minded and 1st thing they looked at was going forward.

I dearly love N'Golo and I had big dreams of him becoming a top box to box/ But hes not good enough on the ball I dont think. Tho his goals just crack me up/

Billys come back needs to be sorted properly. Look at CHO and RLC. Both to me look broken. CHO might be needing a loan too

Billy of course would benefit from one. But need to watch he doesnt get over played unlike some loanees who dont get enough time.

• 3 weeks later...