Billy Gilmour

the wes

10 hours ago, Iggy Doonican said:

A 18 year old making his debut as a sub for 20 minutes and you're writing him off I've never heard something so ridiculous. How the fuck can someone be called ordinary when you've seen him play for 20 minutes. Who's next for your appraisal Stamford the Lion's performance pre match ordinary, hot dog seller didn't put enough onions on ordinary. DJ's choice of songs ordinary, ball boys ordinary, you're assessment of Gilmour extraordinary !.

I have seen every performance from him in the first team including pre season plus a few for Scotland u21. From that little I see nothing that excites me but i am open to having my opinion changed. Sometimes I Have a strong intuition how abplatzet will turn out and more often than not it turns out right. For Tammy I was right on the money and for Reece I still think he will go to the very top and that’s also looking fine so I guess I can venture a shot in the blue. 

9 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

I have seen every performance from him in the first team including pre season plus a few for Scotland u21. From that little I see nothing that excites me but i am open to having my opinion changed. Sometimes I Have a strong intuition how abplatzet will turn out and more often than not it turns out right. For Tammy I was right on the money and for Reece I still think he will go to the very top and that’s also looking fine so I guess I can venture a shot in the blue. 

From the time I first watched Billy's junior level youtube videos when he was rumoured to be joining from Rangers, I felt, and posted to say, that he would find a lot of good CFC youth players in his path towards first team level here. In the intervening time, I never felt I saw enough evidence to drastically revise that opinion. I really enjoyed his display against Grimsby but posted to say that it was by far the best I'd ever seen Billy play. As such, that performance was an exception not the norm, meaning that we'd need more outings of that standard before it would be wise to base judgements on it. We haven't had the chance to see those yet.

To set against that I have confidence in Frank's, and particularly Jody's, assessment of players. They like Billy a lot and that carries weight with me. Personally, I prefer Lewis Bate. His touch is smoother and more secure, his movements faster and he's more combative out of possession. In short I think he's more talented but, talent is only an indicator of success, not a guarantee of it. We need to see Lewis progressing through the levels and to judge whether he can continue to impose his talent against better players in faster games. Long way to go.

7 hours ago, Iggy Doonican said:

No offence son but if a German is watching the Scotland U21 team then you're spending far to much time watching football.

Every game for Scotland u21s Ive seen him in live or on the tele he has been hands down our best player (which may not seem much to some folk) so I dont see how he looked ordinary to anybody.

If he were English or Spanish or French or whatever theyd be raving about him 10 times more.

I honestly think he will be just as good as Mount if not better. Mount is just ahead of him in his development because he had the 2 loan moves before playing regularly. Different players but Billy's technique and footballing intelligence is probably better as well. 

2 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

LOL of that I am guilty😂

I remember when I was in Germany in 2004 to 2006, especially for the world cup I meet many cool German folks. One in particular was a big fan that knew almost every player of the top leagues in Europe. I was surprised at that time he knew about some players from my country of Ecuador. Very funny guy and met many awesome people as well. 

It was a pleasure to spend some time with some German people. :)

• 3 weeks later...

The sort of performance I've been waiting to see from him at a higher level and I am sure others who have doubted his talent will have also taken a look at him tonight and have a different view perhaps. Always been a fan of his from his time in Scotland with Rangers and the NT u21s but the question was perhaps can he do it vs top PL/European opposition, competing physically as well as technically. He coped well in the previous cup games against smaller teams but tonight was a real test. I think this match is as good a stepping stone as it can get for him to really push for more gametime the remainder of this season.

Frank has shown faith in the others such as Mason, Fik, Tammy and James but I dont think any of them have played this well against this calibre of team all season if I am honest. His individual performance, to get recognised as MOTM in tonights team performance, should speak volumes.

Ruben returning also gives us a boost in midfield and if Billy can play like this or even close against other teams he is another option for definite. I dont think that FL will just toss Jorginho aside as many seem to be thinking (very premature and naive to think so) but theres certainly competition in those positions even without Kante because of injury.

Sky sports gave Barkley MOTM as well...... what