Billy Gilmour

the wes

1 hour ago, OneMoSalah said:

I would start him again against Arsenal tbf. If you can play how he did v City then he can certainly do it v Arsenal. 

Could Gilmour make a late push for the Euro squad? 👀

hace 26 minutos, Jas dijo:

Could Gilmour make a late push for the Euro squad? 👀

If he keeps playing regularly now I think so, or certainly hope, but probably has to play well in at least another 3 games for the full duration. He only has 309 minutes this season in CL and PL. If the season finished yesterday it would not be enough. Not sure how many cup games hes played but having not played over 1000 minutes in a combination of the league or CL against higher quality opposition probably doesn’t help.

Edited by OneMoSalah

8 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

If he keeps playing regularly now I think so, or certainly hope, but probably has to play well in at least another 3 games for the full duration. He only has 309 minutes this season in CL and PL. If the season finished yesterday it would not be enough. Not sure how many cup games hes played but having not played over 1000 minutes in a combination of the league or CL against higher quality opposition probably doesn’t help.

891 mins, will probably get some more.

Walcott played on World Cup 2006 with 1268 mins. So would not be that weird.

hace 27 minutos, NikkiCFC dijo:

891 mins, will probably get some more.

Walcott played on World Cup 2006 with 1268 mins. So would not be that weird.

I suppose he will get more minutes definitely now with the next few weeks so he has a chance to make a late push. 

Re Walcott was that not more due to a lack of pace out of the other options? I am sure that was what Sven has said about it. For us our midfield is probably our strongest area right now as mentioned in another post to Jason at some point last week. 

I did notice Kenny McLean may be out of Euros now due to an injury he got for Norwich so it opens the door for one of Billy or Ryan Gauld perhaps, but perhaps again they’d be more there as backups as the majority of the regulars in midfield will be going I would think and probably be ahead in the managers mind as they were big part of getting us to the Euros. Who knows though, I think the experience would be good for Billy and also give us a chance to mix it up but I do feel its too little too late. Plus theres boys like Ryan Christie, Stuart Armstrong, who can play as further advanced midfielders as well with 2 of those 4 or 5 named above also. So its not as straightforward as people might think.

Id still say even with 26 man squads its not going to be a cert or even a huge possibility unless he plays every week. Steve Clarke didn’t call him up after his wee run in the team with Lampard either last season so I doubt after 2 games v Fulham then City it will make him more liable to pick him. 

32 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Id still say even with 26 man squads its not going to be a cert or even a huge possibility unless he plays every week. Steve Clarke didn’t call him up after his wee run in the team with Lampard either last season so I doubt after 2 games v Fulham then City it will make him more liable to pick him. 

Yeah but having 26 players now gives the manager a bit more room for backups or to manoeuvre. What's the harm in bringing Gilmour anyway? Are there any other genuine Scottish talent that would have missed had only 23 players been allowed?

hace 1 hora, Jas dijo:

Yeah but having 26 players now gives the manager a bit more room for backups or to manoeuvre. What's the harm in bringing Gilmour anyway? Are there any other genuine Scottish talent that would have missed had only 23 players been allowed?

This is true.

Regarding who may miss/may have missed if only 23, may have been Turnbull (a creative number 8/10), Nathan Patterson (a RB) and then Billy for sure. Although Turnbull would be the most likely to go out of any of the uncapped players by a country mile and somehow didn’t get in the last NT call ups which didnt go down well. But theres still also more senior players who weren’t in the last squad, Forrest, Griffiths, Cooper, so it wouldnt even be a guarantee he takes any of them.

I think our biggest concern with our squad is a lack of goals/creativity. Which is why I think as mentioned above Turnbull has to go. Then theres Ryan Gauld who’s came off a good season in Portugal for Farese (who are like 17th), with 8 goals 7 assists and a lot of big opportunities created in 30 games (think he’s created or made more passes that have lead to chances for his team than most players in the division based on the information doing the rounds) which makes him an obscure, wild card choice but again someone who I can see making it based on the creativity he could bring.

Ultimately who knows now though I think SC will be very predictable though and would probably bring the tried and tested bunch he usually picks bar maybe swapping out McLean for Turnbull if he is injured and wont make the tournament and maybe bringing the likes of James Forrest, Liam Cooper then one either Gilmour/Patterson/Gauld. I’d like to see them all 3 of them go obviously on top of Turnbull as the four of them would give us some younger blood and but the midfielders would definitely be a nightmare to pick then also. 

Edited by OneMoSalah

hace 34 minutos, Jas dijo:

Has been called up to the Scotland NT for Euro 2020.

@OneMoSalah

Great news. Nathan Patterson and David Turnbull as well in which is good also. 3 LBs tho is dodgy. I am a bit shocked that Ryan Gauld didnt get a call up. Kevin Nisbitt also good to have him in. All in all good choices

Edited by OneMoSalah

47 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Great news. Nathan Patterson and David Turnbull as well in which is good also. 3 LBs tho is dodgy. I am a bit shocked that Ryan Gauld didnt get a call up. Kevin Nisbitt also good to have him in. All in all good choices

Won't look as bad as when Southgate tries to fit 4 right backs in the England squad.

hace 1 hora, Superblue_1986 dijo:

Won't look as bad as when Southgate tries to fit 4 right backs in the England squad.

🤣

I suppose we have Tierney at LCB most of the time but if one if Robertson were to say get injured get injured would just put Tierney at LWB. Baffled by 3 LBs still lol.

Defending isnt our problem scoring goals is.

Edited by OneMoSalah

hace 4 minutos, nyikolajevics dijo:

Which four?

Walker

James

TAA

AWB

Trippier

Some quality...

Theres no way to even justify Southgate taking more than 3. Walker can play RCB perhaps aye in a 3 but even with 26 players, it would be beyond stupid to take more than 3. Hard decisions to take though for sure.

Edited by OneMoSalah

4 minutes ago, nyikolajevics said:

Which four?

Walker

James

TAA

AWB

Trippier

Some quality...

AWB hasn't had a look in, so cannot see him getting in the squad.

It'll be Walker, James, TAA and Trippier. 

I'd be inclined to take the first three as Walker and James also present an option to play as the right centre back in a back 3 if Southgate wanted to go with that. James also has experienced this season playing regularly as a wing back too. 

But Southgate seems to like Trippier.

AWB is best defensively, TAA offensively. He didn't call either last time. Weird guy. Also I don't think you can ask for better than Grealish LW (if he is fit and back in form) and Sancho RW but he will go with something like Sterling and Mount. 

1 hour ago, NikkiCFC said:

AWB is best defensively, TAA offensively. He didn't call either last time. Weird guy. Also I don't think you can ask for better than Grealish LW (if he is fit and back in form) and Sancho RW but he will go with something like Sterling and Mount. 

But on the flipside AWB is easily the worst offensively and TAA the worst defensively.

I think it's incredibly important a full back is capable of doing both sides of the game and I think that's why Southgate has other preferences at right back to those two as James and Walker in particular are better all rounders on both sides of the game.

Southgate has a lot of options in attack. Assuming Henderson won't be fit (and longer term anyway), if he were to play some form of 4-3-3 I think it should be Rice, Bellingham and Mount if you're looking to be more solid (and Foden within the front three) and against teams you're expecting to be on the front foot and dominate against I'd go with Rice, Mount and Foden. With the 26 man squad I think Southgate can take a chance with Henderson and Grealish being in it but both have been out a long time I'd be surprised if either started the tournament.

1 hour ago, Superblue_1986 said:

But on the flipside AWB is easily the worst offensively and TAA the worst defensively.

I think it's incredibly important a full back is capable of doing both sides of the game and I think that's why Southgate has other preferences at right back to those two as James and Walker in particular are better all rounders on both sides of the game.

According to David Ornstein earlier this week, Southgate will call up Walker, Trippier and James for his RB options.

Regarding TAA, I don't watch international games these days and so, I don't really have a clear inkling on how he fares for England but I wonder if it's fair to argue whether TAA's form/performance is a byproduct of Klopp's system. The way he plays allows the FBs to shine, it makes the FBs as the creators in that Liverpool team. Southgate has a different way of playing and likely views TAA differently, on top of his defensive deficiencies.