Billy Gilmour

the wes

21 hours ago, killer1257 said:

Billy will play for the U23 today. So basically, we wasted his potential for this season 

He's 19.

For example of that great Barca team under Pep that had a load of academy players in only Messi was a regular before 20 while Pedro, Puyol and Valdez didn't even make their debut until they were in their 20's.

3 hours ago, Tomo said:

He's 19.

For example of that great Barca team under Pep that had a load of academy players in only Messi was a regular before 20 while Pedro, Puyol and Valdez didn't even make their debut until they were in their 20's.

Exactly.

People are freaking out over nothing. Yes he could of went on loan but I think he will get minutes with Tuchel.

Games v Liverpool, Everton, Leeds and Atletico Madrid are coming up in the space of 2 weeks and with Mount and Jorginho out of the Atletico game, Tuchel will perhaps try and manage Kante, Kovacic and Jorginho’s minutes as undoubtedly Kovacic and Kante will play v Atletico from the beginning due to Jorginho’s suspension. So we hopefully will see more of Billy.

Also out of the guys Lampard gave debuts to/more prominent roles in the team to, how many were 18/19? Tammy, Reece, Mason and Fikayo weren’t IIRC. Would be panicking more if he was in Abraham’s position or Ruben’s, being 23 or over and missing match day squads or being loaned out at 24 or 25.

Edited by OneMoSalah

Obviously safety first is the main theme of Tuchel's beginning here so we should not expect to see too much of him rn. But his time will come. Against not so physical teams i can totally see him work next to Kovacic. Esp against low blocks he has shown that he is better at playing through the lines than any of our midfielders. I do not htinkhe will have too much of a long term future here tho if we stick with Tuchel

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jason said:

Bit contradictory considering midfield is arguably our strongest area for the NT. But again I suppose TT isn’t to know that. 

I really dont see why Steve Clarke should pick someone not playing ahead of the guys he picks. Plus Steve Clarke has just spoken about moving McTominay back into MF on a podcast - who has made a huge improvement under OGS and plays virtually every week - due to other centre backs doing well.

I hope Billy makes the euros squad but its highly unlikely right now considering his lack of minutes and the likes of John McGinn, Scott McTominay, Callum McGregor, Stuart Armstrong and John Fleck all playing regularly.

Theres still a slim chance if there are injuries or if he plays virtually every week but he wont at this rate. 

I think he has a good chance starting against WBA. Kova is going to play the whole international round and Kante has a minor injury (which I believe is not anything.) Would not be surprised to see him start with Jorgi or Kante against WBA and then Kova and one of Jorgi/Kante against Porto. 

• 2 weeks later...
The Telegraph

Wednesday April 7 2021

Matt Law's Chelsea briefing

Matt Law
tmg_spacer.gif

Talented midfielder is having to bide his time under Thomas Tuchel - but such patience could be rewarded

By Matt Law,
Football News Correspondent

One of the last questions Frank Lampard faced before his Chelsea dismissal was on the future of Billy Gilmour.

The 19-year-old had just produced a superb performance in Chelsea’s FA Cup victory over Luton Town and clubs were clamouring to take him on loan towards the end of the January transfer window.

Lampard’s position had been that he would consider a loan move for Gilmour to help his prospects of getting into Scotland’s squad for this summer’s European Championship.

But everything changed when Lampard was sacked the next day and Thomas Tuchel immediately took over with the brief of trying to finish the season with Champions League qualification and a trophy run.

More than two months since Tuchel’s arrival at Stamford Bridge, Gilmour has only appeared in two games since the Luton success, both in the FA Cup, in comparison to his five appearances before it.

Under Lampard, Gilmour had featured in the Premier League and the Champions League, but he is yet to play in either competition for Tuchel and was left out of the squad for Wednesday night’s Champions League quarter-final first-leg tie against Porto.

Gilmour was also omitted from the Scotland squad for their last round of games, which has left him fearing that his dream of playing for his country at a major tournament this summer is fading.

So did Gilmour make the wrong decision by seeing out the season under Tuchel? According to those around the gifted Scotsman, no.

It is understood that after being left out of Tuchel’s first squad for the goalless draw against Wolverhampton Wanderers, Gilmour spoke with the Chelsea head coach about how his development might be best handled.

He initially thought that a loan move was the most attractive option, but Tuchel convinced him that working with him every day at the training ground and learning how he wanted Chelsea to play would stand him in good stead going forwards.

There was also a feeling that Gilmour may be able to break into the Scotland squad without playing every week and there remains some confusion over why manager Steve Clarke did not at least have a close look at the youngster in training during the last international break.

Gilmour has proved with every appearance, however irregular, that he is good enough to be part of the Scotland squad, but Clarke has stressed that time is on his side and it may now be that the Euros come just a bit too soon.

That will undoubtedly be a disappointment if that turns out to be the case, but Gilmour is confident that he has done the best thing for his Chelsea career and also his long-term prospects by sticking around and learning from Tuchel.

Having served four months under Tuchel by the end of the season, Gilmour will be in the perfect position to make the right call, together with the club, on the next phase of his development.

That may well be another season at Stamford Bridge with the promise of playing more regularly if another midfielder departs, or it may be a season-long loan to a Premier League club at a time when he can make a carefully considered decision, rather than rushing into taking what is available - as would have been the case in January. Fikayo Tomori has benefitted from waiting patiently before eventually going on loan to AC Milan.

Playing the long-game could also work to the advantage of Gilmour in years to come, even though, unlike in the case of Tomori, there is no prospect of Chelsea including an option to buy in any potential loan agreement for Gilmour.

Tuchel’s next big decision over Gilmour will be whether or not to start him against Manchester City in next weekend’s semi-final of the FA Cup, the competition in which he has so far started in every round. His patience deserves that reward.

Got a question on Chelsea? Get in touch on Twitter @Matt_Law_DT or by emailing [email protected]

• 4 weeks later...
52 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Will any PL team give him starting spot on loan? He needs this clearly.

The loans only well and good if he goes to an appropriate manager like Bielsa or Hassenhuttl.

If the alternative is a Bruce/Dyche/Nuno managed team I'd rather he stayed here and we went down the City/Foden route.

He grew into the game in the second half. Was a difficult start but Fulham pressed and they eventually tired. Showed a willingness to do the dirty stuff of the game also despite being less imposing than the blokes he was up against. Also didn’t help his partner, despite his excellent performance in the attacking aspect left him outnumbered. 

hace 9 minutos, Tomo dijo:

The loans only well and good if he goes to an appropriate manager like Bielsa or Hassenhuttl.

If the alternative is a Bruce/Dyche/Nuno managed team I'd rather he stayed here and we went down the City/Foden route.

100% agree. 

Maybe Wolves wouldn't actually be so bad tbf as they do have guys like Neves and Moutinho in there who are good MF players but Burnley and Newcastle would be a waste. Fulham would of actually been a very good move for him to be honest at the beginning of the season despite their struggles they try and play. 

Unfortunate he wont be at the Euros though, as a Scot would have loved to have seen him go but even if he played more I wouldn’t see him starting in the team at the moment. Plenty competition for MF roles with Scotland to the point where folk are still debating will David Turnbull be starting or not despite single handedly having been Celtic’s best player by a country mile this season and also being our most creative option in midfield, mainly due to how we play under Steve Clarke.

Hopeful he gets a loan move next season. Leeds would be an excellent choice but is he going to be able to displace Kalvin Phillips? I think back up the road to Rangers would be his best shout in all honesty, they will probably have interest in Glen Kamara and Steven Davis is like 37 now. 

10 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Unfortunate he wont be at the Euros though, as a Scot would have loved to have seen him go but even if he played more I wouldn’t see him starting in the team at the moment. Plenty competition for MF roles with Scotland to the point where folk are still debating will David Turnbull be starting or not despite single handedly having been Celtic’s best player by a country mile this season and also being our most creative option in midfield, mainly due to how we play under Steve Clarke.

UEFA have allowed teams to bring 26 players, instead of the usual 23, in their squad for the Euro. Any chance maybe Gilmour could sneak one of those additional 3 places?

hace 9 horas, Jas dijo:

UEFA have allowed teams to bring 26 players, instead of the usual 23, in their squad for the Euro. Any chance maybe Gilmour could sneak one of those additional 3 places?

Maybe but again even with a 26 man squad, I think depending on whether or not McTominay plays CB as he has done sometimes (although he didnt the last bunch of games) its very slim as others have played regularly and maybe deserve more of a chance.

Would imagine the MFers Clarke takes (although some are closer to 10s as opposed to more natural central midfielders but we play 352 more often than not) will be, barring any injuries:

- Callum McGregor

- David Turnbull

- Scott McTominay

- John McGinn

- John Fleck

- Stuart Armstrong

- Ryan Christie

- Kenny McLean

Ultimately I think McTominay McGinn and McGregor will start the games for us and then maybe Turnbull would be the only change in ahead of McGregor (would go with Turnbull in from the start 100% it it were up to me).

I dont think he will want to take anymore midfielders because we still have to take Ryan Fraser and Jame Forrest as more natural wingers also plus 2/3 CFs such as Dykes, Nisbitt and hopefully Che Adams - with no place for McBurnie being an absolute godsend as he is one of the worst CFs I have ever seen for us. Although if its a 26 man squad I would think 4 CFs isn’t out of the question. 

If there was any injuries then maybe, maybe it opens the space up for Gilmour but taking someone whos played 1 league game in like 5 months probably isn’t viable considering the more deeper options like McGinn, McGregor, McTominay are likely to be there ahead of him and fully fit for it by looks of things (fingers crossed) then Turnbull/Armstrong/McLean. Plus Ryan Gauld has had an exceptional season in Portugal with Farense and would maybe be taken in the place of them as Steve Clarke has been asked about him numerous times and he is being linked with Braga and Benfica as his contract is running out. 

Maybe he sneaks in maybe not. Would say for his talent yes take him but he has 0 caps for Scotland as it is and has played very little football. Considering we will probably be taking 5 or 6 CBs for our back 3, 3 GKs thats 8 or 9 spaces. Then say 3/4 CFs, Forrest, Fraser, those guys in midfield, Robertson, Tierney, 2 right wing backs. Thats what about 23/24/25. It depends ultimately on injuries I would think.

Plus Steve Clarke has been pretty consistent and loyal to certain players with his selections (McBurnie and Stephen O’Donnell in partifular), similar to what the Italians were like with Conte (likes of Pelle and Giacchereini at Euro 2016), seems to be 85 or 90% the same players barring injuries. 

Edited by OneMoSalah