Super Frank Thread

On 11/24/2019 at 3:43 AM, Fulham Broadway said:

Reckon Frank will be pleased with that, albeit the result. Finishing and/or Kepa playing better meant we would have come away with three points, so room for improvement. But to go there and feel robbed is a step in the right direction.

Why?

If this is a one time thing, sure no problem. But It is the same story against pool, city, United, leicester. 

1 hour ago, communicate said:

Why?

If this is a one time thing, sure no problem. But It is the same story against pool, city, United, leicester. 

It's getting a bit annoying that we haven't got a result against the big teams this season even though our performances in general have been better than the results suggest. We have been left to rue stupid defensive errors after every game against those big sides. On one hand, anyone can lose to Liverpool and Man City but on the other hand, we should have done better against them. Gave away dumb goals in the league encounters. Even Lampard started to look exasperated to talk about the "little details", "small margins" etc being the decisive factor again at the weekend. The MAJOR blot in the copybook is losing to Man United TWICE! Okay, one was in the League Cup which we didn't really care about but it's still frustrating. And of course, our next big 6 opponent is Mourinho's Spurs...what could go wrong? 

Of course it's annoying, but not to a point our fannies need to star flapping like some people are. We are a new project and still sitting healthy in the table, playing good football and getting better all the time.

On Saturday there was disappointing stuff but more so lots of likable stuff. We are a way off Liverpool and City, not by much but enough for them to be sneaking wins against us, and football is fine margins, more so with VAR etc.

To compare last season and it's laborious shite under Sarri I will take this now all day long.

4 hours ago, communicate said:

Why?

Oft used phrase, transitional season, but it is definitely. Frank and what he has at his disposal have basically hit the ground running. 

Though I agree my £20 on us winning the league at 33/1 and £20 on Tammy being top scorer at 12/1 might be a bit optimistic...

16 hours ago, Jason said:

Roman likes his youth. But the problem was that he never got a coach for youth in the past. Frank was just a coach we got because of the ban. 

Having interest youth and wanting them in your team is two different things. The manager that you employ says much about this. 

So yes indeed a blessing in disguise this ban. 

6 hours ago, Jason said:

It's getting a bit annoying that we haven't got a result against the big teams this season even though our performances in general have been better than the results suggest. We have been left to rue stupid defensive errors after every game against those big sides. On one hand, anyone can lose to Liverpool and Man City but on the other hand, we should have done better against them. Gave away dumb goals in the league encounters. Even Lampard started to look exasperated to talk about the "little details", "small margins" etc being the decisive factor again at the weekend. The MAJOR blot in the copybook is losing to Man United TWICE! Okay, one was in the League Cup which we didn't really care about but it's still frustrating. And of course, our next big 6 opponent is Mourinho's Spurs...what could go wrong? 

Yes some of them are individual mistake but against big team we need to be able to be a bit more pragmatic at times. 

Our chance creation has been excellent. We have shown that we can create chances even against big team, but on the other side we simply concede too many chances. 

I said a while ago that when Jose was in sky and talking about he is worried about us in big games, I said he is right. I received tons of backlash because first he is Jose, second because people think that we have performed well in big games because we can create chances, and if we finished better we should have won the game.

That IMO is the wrong way to look at it. Against other big team, you have to respect that they also have good player so you have to find a way to limit their chances otherwise we will have the same story again and again this season. 

2 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Oft used phrase, transitional season, but it is definitely. Frank and what he has at his disposal have basically hit the ground running. 

Though I agree my £20 on us winning the league at 33/1 and £20 on Tammy being top scorer at 12/1 might be a bit optimistic...

Lamp has done a wonderful job with this team, I am glad that I am so wrong about Lamp. But I want us to have one game against big team where we don't just concede so many chances, yes it is difficult against monster team like city maybe we can do it against spurs. 

2 hours ago, communicate said:

Lamp has done a wonderful job with this team, I am glad that I am so wrong about Lamp. But I want us to have one game against big team where we don't just concede so many chances, yes it is difficult against monster team like city maybe we can do it against spurs. 

I wouldn't say we conceded that many against Liverpool in either game, especially from open situations.

We didn't concede that many chances against Ajax either, we were by far the better side in Amsterdam and Stamford Bridge they were ridiculously clinical.

WHat Lamps has done so far is nothing short of outstanding. Lost our best player, the damn ban, so many youth coming in the team and doing good, sitting in top 4 with a decent distance to the pack. Its def beyond my expectations.

Now will we stay the same? Will we hit a road block? Will injuries keep on frustrating us? Will we get better and better as we go forward? Will Marina spend some damn money on quality? Plenty ????

But we are doing good.

2 hours ago, communicate said:

Yes some of them are individual mistake but against big team we need to be able to be a bit more pragmatic at times. 

Our chance creation has been excellent. We have shown that we can create chances even against big team, but on the other side we simply concede too many chances. 

I said a while ago that when Jose was in sky and talking about he is worried about us in big games, I said he is right. I received tons of backlash because first he is Jose, second because people think that we have performed well in big games because we can create chances, and if we finished better we should have won the game.

That IMO is the wrong way to look at it. Against other big team, you have to respect that they also have good player so you have to find a way to limit their chances otherwise we will have the same story again and again this season. 

I would agree if we were actually going for short term results. Jose thinks that because it's all he knows.

Pep had a poor record Vs the top six in his first season (W2 D4 L6, and the two wins were by one goal) because he was trying to build the system to eventually dominate those type of games instead of going for a short term result, and the next two season's he was rewarded as his record against top 6 opponents was W18 D2 L6, a record which helped them win back to back titles, would they have had such a strong record over such a period of time had they just gone for short term results in season one?

I have seen enough from the games against big sides to know it's only a matter of time before that improves, law of averages, when a team rides their luck constantly eventually that luck runs out (ala Spurs last season) and comes home to roost, the results so far are mildly irritating but it's also irritating so many people implying were becoming as soft as Arsenal, something that couldn't be further from the truth.

3 hours ago, communicate said:

Think we want the same thing, but it's a work in progress. Sp*ds is a must win, but could quite easily end up 3-2 or 4-3 

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

I would agree if we were actually going for short term results. Jose thinks that because it's all he knows.

Pep had a poor record Vs the top six in his first season (W2 D4 L6, and the two wins were by one goal) because he was trying to build the system to eventually dominate those type of games instead of going for a short term result, and the next two season's he was rewarded as his record against top 6 opponents was W18 D2 L6, a record which helped them win back to back titles, would they have had such a strong record over such a period of time had they just gone for short term results in season one?

I have seen enough from the games against big sides to know it's only a matter of time before that improves, law of averages, when a team rides their luck constantly eventually that luck runs out (ala Spurs last season) and comes home to roost, the results so far are mildly irritating but it's also irritating so many people implying were becoming as soft as Arsenal, something that couldn't be further from the truth.

I also find it incredibly difficult to compare the United and Leicester games to the Liverpool and City games. At the start of the season Lamps was still finding his feet as a coach and we had a lot of players either injured or only just returning for pre season. We were creating chances but alarmingly open in midfield and at the back. United took advantage and Leicester really should have done the same.

Since then, our performances in the big games have improved dramatically. We've still shown we can create chances but have been far less open. It is still very much a work in progress and the teams we've played since the early part of the season are City and Liverpool, the two teams that are well ahead of the pack at present and have masses of quality to open teams up through their own creative strengths, let alone punishing mistakes.

I'm positive we'll win a 'big one' very soon and in the meantime so long as we're battering the rest of the league, we'll be keeping the chasing pack at arm's length.

11 hours ago, Tomo said:

For me I don't want us to follow pep way. He has blank cheque with city. His fb were too old in his first season, so he spent 130 m on fb alone,not sure that is our way to go. 

45 minutes ago, communicate said:

For me I don't want us to follow pep way. He has blank cheque with city. His fb were too old in his first season, so he spent 130 m on fb alone,not sure that is our way to go. 

Think Klopp then.