Super Frank Thread

22 hours ago, Tomo said:

What I find really impressive is how well we're locking down games against lesser sides at Stamford Bridge. Last three league opponents to the Bridge have been totally strangled out of the game almost to the point we may aswell have removed Kepa's goal.

Gives me huge confidence that we can eventually build the consistency to challenge the top two.

Agreed. This season will be very interesting to see if Lampard and the players can maintain this for the full season. Whilst there may well be a few periods of difficulty, I'm quietly confident that by and large we can due to the squad depth and we still have key players returning/to return which should help provide a boost where necessary.

If this can be maintained for most of this season, then it answers one of the two main questions for me over whether we can start challenging the top two again. The other being can we take points off the other top teams. 

To get top 4 this season, I don't believe we will need to be taking huge amounts of points off the top teams. The likes of Arsenal, United and Spurs are all struggling against lesser teams and as long as we continue to put to the sword the rest of the league we'll be fine. Include Leicester now in this bracket of top teams and there are 13 teams then making up the rest of the league. If we took 80-85% of points from those teams then that is 62-66 points (currently 9 games from a possible 26, we're at 89%). Based on everyone else's struggles at present that might even be enough for top 4 but if not we would probably only need to be picking up 6-10 points against the other 6 teams in the league just to maintain the cushion.

Compare this to United who seem to have a method and set up which suits playing against the top teams but they struggle against the lesser teams. When the lesser teams make up two thirds of the league that is the reason they are so far behind us at present. What we're doing currently if we maintain, is enough to get top 4. As both our coaching and playing staff become more confident and experienced, I'm sure that our results against the established big teams will also improve.

12 minutes ago, xPetrCechx said:

At least there are nice gaps between the games...

There's also the FA Cup and UCL/UEL fixtures to factor in:

Jan 21 - Arsenal (h)
Jan 24-26 - FA Cup R4 *
Feb 1 - Leicester (a)
Feb 8 - Man United (h)
Feb 22 - Spurs (h)

+ EITHER

Feb 20 - UEL R32 1st Leg
Feb 27 - UEL R32 2nd Leg

OR

Feb 18/19 - UCL R16 1st Leg
Feb 25/26 - UCL R16 1st Leg

We will also have the PL winter break - https://www.premierleague.com/news/1241248 - and so, we'll either play United on Feb 8/9 or Feb 15/16.