Super Frank Thread

Its been a good start but we still need to be cautious. Same happened with Sarri and Conte eventually although in different circumstances.

The young guys have given the squad a really big impetus and freshness but their performances will naturally be inconsistent at some point so we need to be wary and still try and not get overly excited too soon. Also have to hope the senior heads can help the team through such a thing if it happens because the some of our biggest performers this year have been Mount, Tammy and Tomori. Throw in Kova, Jorginho, Willian and Emerson as well. Sure theres a few others too who could get mentions if you eant to go into it.

Saying all that, I firmly believe we should be in the driving seat for the top 4 based on Spurs, Arsenal and United's performances and results so far. 100%. But still there will be times where things dont go our way and we will see how the guys react if this happens.

Lampard is learning from his mistakes though which is an excellent quality to have as it shows he isnt stuck to his ways completely but the zonal marking still needs sorted. Couple of clean sheets in a row too, always positive for the back line and keeper.

Like I said, so far so good but again, need to be cautious as it can just take 3, 4 or 5 bad results in a period of time to change the dynamic. 

2 hours ago, killer1257 said:

Another clean sheet and that against Ajax. Does Lamps still need a new defensive coach? All these experts here in this Forum Wanted him to hire a new Coach...

Gesendet von meinem SM-G920F mit Tapatalk

Are you going to post that every time we keep a clean sheet now? :lol: 

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Are you going to post that every time we keep a clean sheet now? :lol: 

Yeah it will probably be a recurring theme all season.

2 hours ago, killer1257 said:

Another clean sheet and that against Ajax. Does Lamps still need a new defensive coach? All these experts here in this Forum Wanted him to hire a new Coach...

Tbf it was a geniune concern throughout pre-season against a lot of dead rubber teams and then after that, the first what 3 or 4 games in competitions? I can see why people were concerned. Its not exactly the worst thing to be worried about. All good teams are built on a good defence.

Tbf it was a geniune concern throughout pre-season against a lot of dead rubber teams and then after that, the first what 3 or 4 games in competitions? I can see why people were concerned. Its not exactly the worst thing to be worried about. All good teams are built on a good defence.
It is not like we were Rock solid last year either. It just needs some time to implement the training concepts into the pitch.

2 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Yeah it will probably be a recurring theme all season.

It'd be silly to keep bringing it up. As you said, we had massive defensive problems earlier this season. Up till the recent Brighton game, we had kept only 1 clean sheet - and that was in pre-season - and were giving away really silly goals. It's only natural people were (still are?) worried about it. Recent improvement has been encouraging to see and long it may continue!

Are you going to post that every time we keep a clean sheet now? [emoji38] 
Just to showcase how wrong these experts were again. But I will stop for now and wait til the end of the Season and then remind the experts what they initially wanted

Just now, killer1257 said:

Just to showcase how wrong these experts were again. But I will stop for now and wait til the end of the Season and then remind the experts what they initially wanted

You're making it out as if people committed a crime asking Lampard to hire a defensive coach. Nothing bad or wrong with debating about asking for help when there's an issue, especially when the defensive issue we're talking about goes back to Lampard's time at Derby as well. It wasn't as if people were asking for a change in manager! 

14 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

It is not like we were Rock solid last year either. It just needs some time to implement the training concepts into the pitch.

Statistically we had the 3rd or 4th best defence last season. We werent rock solid but we werent as bad as we were the first wee while under Frank either and thats the truth.

13 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Statistically we had the 3rd or 4th best defence last season. We werent rock solid but we werent as bad as we were the first wee while under Frank either and thats the truth.

We were quite solid numbers wise due to the cautious possession after those 15 minutes against Arsenal up till about February.

After that we were quite open as we started playing a bit more expressively.

I think Lampard is going about dealing with those issues head on instead of finding sticky plaster routes and it looks like we're reaping rewards already.

I was one of those who rightly pointed out we were atrocious defensively up until recently. The recent form is very encouraging and it's given me more confidence in frank as a manager. I don't think he's a feel good stop gap that gives a golden generation of young players a year or so to establish themselves in the team, I think we can legitimately improve and win stuff under him. Still, let's not let 4 games mean we are out of the woods. We are still progressing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I just hope that the board can see and realise just how positive and united the club as a whole is at present and back Lampard and the young players to develop and take the club forwards in time.

If this takes a couple of seasons to really get to where we want it to be (which has to be back challenging for the league, and eventually Europe again) then so be it. I really do think there is something special brewing at the club and if we can get top 4 this season and hit a home run in the summer transfer window we could be a real force. I actually feel if we can get out of the group this season in the Champions League and keep this momentum going we'll be a team no one will really want to be drawn against because we'll go in as a fearless underdog against most of the other teams that qualify through.

The continued evolution of this team, the young players and Lampard himself is exciting to watch and will surely only get better over time. Even the older heads in the side are stepping up to support this season. The likes of Alonso, Azpi, Willian, etc may not be the long term answer but they are vital this season for guiding these young players and ultimately performing to a high enough standard to get us results.

I very much love how he's embracing different challenges and styles of play with opponent's and focusing on conquering instead of moaning about it.

How many managers who play the attacking/possession based football Lampard does whine to high heaven when they play against low blocks.

1 hour ago, Mana said:

I still don't know if this season is still a write off or we can actually get top 4. I know United are off the table for the challenge but can we do it again against Arsenal and Spuds?

Maybe now even Leicester?

I've been convinced we're finishing top four since the Liverpool game.

Things can change but as it stands we're looking very good for 3rd.

1 hour ago, Mana said:

I still don't know if this season is still a write off or we can actually get top 4. I know United are off the table for the challenge but can we do it again against Arsenal and Spuds?

Maybe now even Leicester?

What? I don't have any doubts any more about finishing top4. I still have some hope for the title.