Super Frank Thread

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

If Lampard can become half as good a tactican as he is a squad builder then wow.

I actually believe tactically he has been sound all season, def better than last season. Of course he is learning as we go ahead but so do even elite managers, its clear what he demands and he is getting it out the players. I really like what im seeing and if we dont get injury galour we can only get better.

3 minutes ago, Atomiswave said:

I actually believe tactically he has been sound all season, def better than last season. Of course he is learning as we go ahead but so do even elite managers, its clear what he demands and he is getting it out the players. I really like what im seeing and if we dont get injury galour we can only get better.

There's been unbelievable improvement in recent weeks but i'm still cautious about totally declaring at this point, i thought he cracked the inconsistency's just before lockdown.

The base style of play has by inlarge been great (bar the restart period) it's the in game tweeks and subs where i feel there was/is room for improvement.

5 minutes ago, Tomo said:

There's been unbelievable improvement in recent weeks but i'm still cautious about totally declaring at this point, i thought he cracked the inconsistency's just before lockdown.

The base style of play has by inlarge been great (bar the restart period) it's the in game tweeks and subs where i feel there was/is room for improvement.

I can def agree with that, his subs and the timing of them need work but otherwise very pleased so far.

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

If Lampard can become half as good a tactican as he is a squad builder then wow.

The Athletic needs to find out what happened after that Southampton because while there is a long way to go and there will be moments where we have to suffer, everything started to fall into place and click since then. And this isn't just because of the players returning etc either. 

27 minutes ago, Jason said:

The Athletic needs to find out what happened after that Southampton because while there is a long way to go and there will be moments where we have to suffer, everything started to fall into place and click since then. And this isn't just because of the players returning etc either. 

It is simple. After that game we had conservative approach against United and Sevilla. And after that we changed formation. Also even before Southampton we had great game against Palace 4:0, but for the game against Southampton we did not have Silva and Mendy which was huge.

50 minutes ago, Jason said:

Has been nominated for Premier League Manager of the Month.

Mourinho will win it. He had 3 wins and 1 draw against us (good result for them, he got what he wanted). Frank 2 wins and 1 draw (did not get what he wanted in that game).

2 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

It is simple. After that game we had conservative approach against United and Sevilla. And after that we changed formation. Also even before Southampton we had great game against Palace 4:0, but for the game against Southampton we did not have Silva and Mendy which was huge.

We also had a great game against Palace at home last season by the way.

And yes, I am aware of all those changes but personnel changes and a change of system can't be the only reasons why we have been better. Like what prompted Lampard to suddenly go defensive against United and Sevilla? Was it because he was stung by the fact our defensive stats at that time was the worst ever under him? Or was it something else? What has changed in our mentality or mindset? Because we have looked more comfortable and do not crack as easily as we did last season. 

10 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

Mourinho will win it. He had 3 wins and 1 draw against us (good result for them, he got what he wanted). Frank 2 wins and 1 draw (did not get what he wanted in that game).

Don't really care who wins it but am assuming they will count those games on Oct 30 and Oct 31 as well since they fell on the same matchday as Nov 1. It's only fair. 

3 hours ago, Jason said:

Could Anthony Barry be the answer? he seems to have worked miracles

Could Anthony Barry be the answer? he seems to have worked miracles
Or is it Mendy that worked miracles? Our set piece defending looks much more solid because Mendy is amazing at catching balls due to his height. Our defenders can count om him and it is not a life or death situation for them. Also, Mendy does not do individual mistakes like kepa every match.

Gesendet von meinem VOG-L29 mit Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, Tomo said:

I think everything changed with that in game tweak to Krasnodar.

As good as it was to keep a clean sheet Vs Sevilla and United our attacking display in both games were horrendous, and it was the same for the first hour in Russia, our XG metrics in those two games and hour in Russia were Arsenal under Arteta level. There were concerns at the time we could only either defend or attack well in any given game.

That in game change to 4-3-3 turned an unconvincing 1-0 to a cruising 4-0 and we haven't looked back since.

But that Sevilla and United games were the games that provided the defensive foundation for the run that we're on.

Also, you previously talked about building the team from the front but Lampard has built from the back instead. :P 

10 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

Or is it Mendy that worked miracles? Our set piece defending looks much more solid because Mendy is amazing at catching balls due to his height. Our defenders can count om him and it is not a life or death situation for them. Also, Mendy does not do individual mistakes like kepa every match.

TBF even before Mendy came in, we already looked less vulnerable from set pieces this season. And IIRC, The Athletic did an article recently about the changes made to our set piece defending and it wasn't just because of Mendy either.

34 minutes ago, killer1257 said:

That reminds me, last year Hilario was getting the blame :lol:

1 hour ago, killer1257 said:

we added a new set piece coach

Anthony Barry 

The key man behind Chelsea's set-piece solidity - and it's not Thiago Silva or Edouard Mendy

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/fixtures-results/chelsea-mendy-silva-anthony-barry-19225837

Barry was barking orders at Chelsea’s defence throughout the Rennes clash

18 minutes ago, Vesper said:

we added a new set piece coach

Anthony Barry 

The key man behind Chelsea's set-piece solidity - and it's not Thiago Silva or Edouard Mendy

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/fixtures-results/chelsea-mendy-silva-anthony-barry-19225837

Barry was barking orders at Chelsea’s defence throughout the Rennes clash

He isn't a defensive coach or a set piece coach per se but he definitely has had input on improving our defending from set pieces.