Didier Drogba

DYC.

So, explain why Drogba is close to being one of the greatest Chelsea players please. TWO years of 12+ goals in the league. Apart from those two seasons, he had a pretty mediocre goal-scoring record for the other 6 (87 goals in 237 games is not good). He was a very good striker who had two fantastic seasons and happened to play on fantastic teams so he had a lot of big game moments (he also had a lot of bad moments in big games which is normal) . We have had a lot of very good strikers but none have ever been on teams like Drogba was so never had the opportunity to have those massive games in front of the world. Chelsea have had a lot of very good strikers. Bentley, Osgood, Dixon, Tambling, Greaves. What makes Drogba stand apart from any of those players except that he played on better teams and was able to play and score in big games? By and large, those players played for longer for Chelsea and were more consistent. You look at someone like Lampard or Terry who were excellent players for Chelsea every single year for about a decade on the same team. I'm not saying Drogba was not a great player overall, just that because of his big-game moments, many Chelsea supporters have elevated him to a status he doesn't belong to.

As for belonging to the best of PL forward, there's not really a serious case. Henry is the best Premier League striker ever IMO (but Shearer is very close). Henry got UEFA team of the year 5 times in 6 years (he scored 26+ goals 6 times). Wayne Rooney has scored more than 16 goals in 10 straight years. Hassailbank did it 7 times. Fowler did it 6 times, Shearer did it an amazing 11 times. Michael Owen did it 7 times. Van Nistelrooy did it 5 times in 5 years. Van Persie has done it 5 times. Drogba did it twice. You're comparing a player who had two excellent seasons with players who were excellent for 5-10 years.

Hassailbank is a good comparison to Drogba because they both played 9 years in the Premier League (and both played with Chelsea.) Here is where Drogba finished in the EPL scoring race in his career in the EPL. 16, 10, 1, 24, 54, 1, 12, 59, X. Compare that to Hassailbank who finished 4, 1, 1, 2, 14, 13, 4, 14, 113 in his Premier League time. You don't see the difference? Hassailbank was a top-5 scorer in the league 5 times. He was a top-15 striker in the league 8 straight years. Drogba finished top-5 in the league in scoring twice. He was top-15, 4 times in 8 years (and won't be this season either obviously). Hassailbank also had a year in there with Atletico where he finished second in the league in scoring in Spain (24 goals in 34 games). You don't think if Hassailbank played on the slightly later Chelsea teams, he also would have scored lots of big goals in big games? Of course he would have. Drogba was a great player but not an all-time great.

Stats don't tell the whole story. You're wrong.

Wenger on Drogba:

"I would have loved to have managed Didier Drogba, for two reasons.

One, I missed him when he played at Le Mans in France, not even in the top league. I knew there was a good player there and I missed him.

And secondly, because he hurt us so much in big games that all this pain would not have happened."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/11105870/Arsene-Wenger-reveals-his-biggest-transfer-regret-was-losing-out-on-Cristiano-Ronaldo-to-Manchester-United.html

I think the annoyance comes from the fact everyone knew Remy should of started against Schalke.

You can't say anything bad about him because of what he has done for this club, but for me, the other night, Jose was wrong starting him and that was the view from me before KO.

He will always be a decent option but that's it, our solidity up top comes from Costa and Remy.

What make you sure Remy would've done a better job than Didier? A logical reason to play a more experienced player who's been here longer, played longer and knows the team players and manager's thoughts better to play the match.

And is it Didier's fault Cesc can deliver that clear cut chance or is it his fault Hazard can't keep that volley down or couldn't tap that ball in or maybe it's his fault Cesc lost the ball in the middle made them counter and Cahill couldn't keep his legs closed which the ball went through and to the net?!

Because Remy is better than current Drogba. Not even a question.

I think the annoyance comes from the fact everyone knew Remy should of started against Schalke.

You can't say anything bad about him because of what he has done for this club, but for me, the other night, Jose was wrong starting him and that was the view from me before KO.

He will always be a decent option but that's it, our solidity up top comes from Costa and Remy.

He was and he wasn't. I'm surprised Remy didn't start as well, but he's only recently joined up with the club and maybe hasn't trained as much as José would have liked. José saw this as a game we should have won easily (which we should have) and chose to give Didier the time to improve on his fitness and sharpness. As the game went on he visibly improved physically IMO, and his match sharpness will arrive with time. I can perfectly understand why José chose to start him, especially given his CL experience.

No, Drogba isn't as good as Remy. Simple as that.

First of all based on what he is not as good? second of all if you read the posts the argue was about who was a better choice in Schalke game not that who's better that whom and i believe Drogba were a better choice as i pointed in my previous posts!

First of all based on what he is not as good? second of all if you read the posts the argue was about who was a better choice in Schalke game not that who's better that whom and i believe Drogba were a better choice as i pointed in my previous posts!

You said he'd be a better choice because of his vast experience, correct? As does Remy, he may not have as much as Drogba but you can't ignore his years at Marseille when he played in the CL.

What did Drogba offer us yesterday? I know for sure we would have won if Remy played

Really don't want to criticize him but him returning here now suddenly forced Jose to play him as he can't just sit on the bench to collect the wages. I really hope there is a way to resolve this issue because as good as he once was Remy is a better player now.