Didier Drogba

DYC.

But in pure footballing terms he actually could offer us something that we're lacking, and that's something you don't want to talk about apparently.

How do you know he can still offer anything at this level.. do you seriously believe he can slot right in and do the job when called upon. Because let's face it, he's going to get far less game time than Eto'o, and it took him a while. I'm starting to believe this 'coaching role' is just to save his blushes; so when he fails to deliver, he's not going to be sent packing in an undignified way.

How do you know he can still offer anything at this level.. do you seriously believe he can slot right in and do the job when called upon. Because let's face it, he's going to get far less game time than Eto'o, and it took him a while. I'm starting to believe this 'coaching role' is just to save his blushes; so when he fails to deliver, he's not going to be sent packing in an undignified way.

Because I watched a bit of him last season and whilst he's lost that pace and explosiveness, he's still 6'2", strong, good with his back to goal, a massive threat in the air and still has better technique than Lukaku and Torres.

I would never start him because I don't think he has it in him anymore to play more than 65 minutes against a fresh defence, but if we're chasing a goal then I'd probably bring him on ahead of Ba, Eto'o, Torres or Lukaku.

And he's also a pretty decent dead-ball striker, which is something we can't really sniff at right now.

Beyond being black, from Africa and playing up-front, Eto'o and Drogba are very different players. If you remove any analysis of their tactical impact then the comparison makes sense (almost) but I'm not sure if this is a case of Drogba replacing Eto'o.

In fact out of all of our strikers from last season, Drogba is most likely a replacement for Ba as the target man/aerial presence/back to goal type striker....except better.

If we're playing against a parked bus and Costa alone isn't working (because there's a lack of space behind the defence for him to exploit) and we're looking to pepper the box with crosses, which striker do you want to bring on? I think even aged 37 I'd still plump for Drogba over Lukaku, Torres or even Eto'o.

I agree about them being different players, my worry was it took Eto'o adapting time so Didier being 4 years older and less games due to Costa he will probably need even more re adapting time after so long out of a major league.

Even at the age of 37, Didier is still one of the world's strongest players with his back to goal. He will at the very least help up establish a direct game if/when that situation arises.

true

I agree about them being different players, my worry was it took Eto'o adapting time so Didier being 4 years older and less games due to Costa he will probably need even more re adapting time after so long out of a major league.

Eto had never played in the PL before .

You must really think Jose and the Board are a bunch of morons. Do you really think Drogba is being brought back to be anything more than 3rd/4th choice striker? He's a big presence that can address many needs first and foremost is the presence he will bring to the training ground and in the locker room. We lost Frank and also Ash as well as Luiz, we are short in the category of leadership, Drogba gives us that in droves. He also provides us with a direct option in attack, there are few CF in the world even to this date that can provide the aerial ability and back to goal strength Didier can provide... He's not a superstar but definitely still a physical beast.

I think this will be more to help Lukaku and to be a coach rather than needing to play. Obviously it would be great to see him play against Arsenal again though. I'd rather his last kick for us stay that kick from 12 yards in Germany.

b8hPtQ-v_normal.jpegOmid Djalili @omid9 · 47m

Sources tell me #Drogba is being brought back to #CFC to play in certain games primarily for #Lukaku to "watch and learn" #Mentor

Ooo certain games.that include Arsenal.Be kinda crap if he goes into miss a major pen for us seeing the pen scored before he left.lets hope they learn from him