Christian Pulisic

the wes

Christian Pulisic sends defiant message over his form despite lack of Chelsea playing time

The 21-year-old has had a lack of playing time with the Blues

https://www.football.london/chelsea-fc/players/christian-pulisic-chelsea-lampard-usa-17067067

Christian Pulisic is ready to put his Chelsea woes behind him and just focus on his upcoming USA fixtures this week.

It has been a tough start to life with the Blues for the 21-year-old, having not played any minutes in the Premier League and Champions League in September. The winger played his first Premier League minutes since August 31, coming on as a substitute and getting an impressive assist for his former Borussia Dortmund team-mate Michy Batshuayi against Southampton.

Pulisic has dropped down the pecking order of starting wingers behind Callum Hudson-Odoi and Willian, with Mason Mount also starting on the left wing.

Frank Lampard is looking for even more from his £58million signing, so that he can push his way back into the starting XI in west London.

Pulisic is with his national team for two CONCACAF Nations League matches against Cuba and Canada, and the winger feels like he is exactly where he needs to be right now.

"I feel the best I ever have. I feel very confident in my game. I’m not going to let any of that affect me," Pulisic said ahead of the game with Cuba.

"I feel very strong, and I’m really looking forward to this game (on) Friday.

snip

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2857990-what-christian-pulisic-must-do-to-break-into-the-chelsea-team

According to B/R sources close to Chelsea's coaching team, Pulisic is far from a lost cause.

Insiders explain how Lampard and his staff do see the potential he has and are quite excited by his raw ability, but they have been slightly frustrated by the fact he has not yet showcased exactly what they are looking for.

This present-day Chelsea team is built of players perfectly trusted to carry out the tactical plan being implemented by Lampard, Morris and Co. They are now simply looking for Pulisic to prove he can fit into the team ethic both with and without the ball. Every training session is being used to monitor how well he is taking on board their messages. 

Chelsea left-back Emerson Palmieri has got to know Pulisic as well as anybody this season, linking up down the flank in the early weeks of the campaign and working on patterns of combination play as part of Lampard's tactical approach.

Emerson told B/R how he expects Pulisic to grow both on and off the pitch in the coming months.

"Pulisic is a quiet guy," he said. "I think that is normal since he just got to the club and I believe that he is going to be more open with some time. He shows a lot of good technique—I see him play before and during training sessions and he has been showing that he is able to use both feet and he is very fast dribbling in short spaces.

"He is young but has a big responsibility. You see that, in the game, he always tries his best. Because he plays close to me, he has been trying to help me in defence, and I think that he has been showing a very good level.

"I believe his biggest strength in the Premier League is going to be that technique he has. He knows how to dribble on both sides, and he is very dangerous in a one-versus-one. So I believe he is going to use this to beat opponents in this league and help us." 

On 10/10/2019 at 2:49 AM, Sir Mikel OBE said:

To be fair though you and I both know how it is here.

Kalou was at a level not much different than where Pulisic is now and he was slaughtered. Of course the entire level of the squad was much higher back then, but the point remains.

Nobody wins if Pulisic is thrown out into the deep-end before hes ready.

I don't think pulisic is key here. Willian is the key. I said it multiple times, if you want Puli to play and play well right now, you need to drop Mount and just play Puli on the left high close to Tammy and he will play and produce. 

2 hours ago, communicate said:

I don't think pulisic is key here. Willian is the key. I said it multiple times, if you want Puli to play and play well right now, you need to drop Mount and just play Puli on the left high close to Tammy and he will play and produce. 

The thing is you cant really drop Mount.

1 minute ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Last night Pulisic was pulled at the 60 minute. Early he was 1 against 5 because nobody was getting upfield. Then he disappeared. He was pissed, but he didn't lead, he just joined all the other losers in pathetic play.

He began hiding. Thats why he was pulled. You hate to see it though because you could see his confidence crushed on the bench.

Say what you want about Roldan, but he didnt hide when the going got tough. Same way Willian can come on for 10 or so minutes and look horrific, but you dont notice Pulisic for the 80 minutes before that. He has a habit of hiding that he will have to grow out of.

A lot of younger people will have to get used to the fact that we just cant roll over other countries in this region anymore. The days of Beaseley,Donovan, and Dempsey spoiled us in that regard.

30 minutes ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

Last night Pulisic was pulled at the 60 minute. Early he was 1 against 5 because nobody was getting upfield. Then he disappeared. He was pissed, but he didn't lead, he just joined all the other losers in pathetic play.

He had been dealing with "flu-like symptoms" for the last few days. (just saying. don't shoot the reporter)

3 hours ago, communicate said:

Just wondering, since when you look at football with, I don't know, such as a narrow minded view? 

4 hours ago, communicate said:

You know CHO is our starting LW? Mount is midfielder (who played winger only because of injuries). When Willian level drops (we know will happen) Puli will start as RW (his best position).

You know CHO is our starting LW? Mount is midfielder (who played winger only because of injuries). When Willian level drops (we know will happen) Puli will start as RW (his best position).

Cho has started one game. I don't count league game. I can see Puli played well with CHO who can feed people.

Just wondering, since when you look at football with, I don't know, such as a narrow minded view? 
I don't get what you mean by being narrow minded. It is about playing player in their best role depending on their skill set.

Forget our two winger. Lets look at our two fb. I don't think we need stat to say that our lb go forward more compare to our rb. But does that mean Azpi will stay back 100% of the time, of course not. What is the different between our fb situation and winger situation?

58 minutes ago, communicate said:

I don't get what you mean by being narrow minded. It is about playing player in their best role depending on their skill set.

Forget our two winger. Lets look at our two fb. I don't think we need stat to say that our lb go forward more compare to our rb. But does that mean Azpi will stay back 100% of the time, of course not. What is the different between our fb situation and winger situation?

Apologies. Maybe the better way of saying this is, you seem to be pigeonholing players into specific roles for some reason - like if Player A plays, then Player B can't play OR if Player A does this, then Player B must do this. Like why this all of a sudden? Maybe my memory has failed me here but I don't seem to recall you doing this under previous managers, especially with some of them being a lot more rigid with their system/players than Lampard. I believe the players, especially the attacking players are good enough to play various roles in the XI and do well without needing A, B or C to happen first. 

On 10/9/2019 at 3:22 PM, LAM09 said:

How is Kalou in the slightest bit similar to Pulisic after all is said and done, do tell?  

Kalou cost a relatively small sum from the Dutch league whilst Pulisic was playing at a whole different level in his teens. People are obviously going to expect completely different things from both players as a result.

Seems like you're stretching to vindicate your stance.

He's similar in that he will be attacked, especially on here, if hes allowed to play when hes not ready.

One need only look at last night, him crying on the bench when he was pulled after a poor display(only slightly better than his Cuban performance) shows that. If the fans get on his back here he will revert to a below average player, ands that helps nobody here.

He's similar in that he will be attacked, especially on here, if hes allowed to play when hes not ready.

One need only look at last night, him crying on the bench when he was pulled after a poor display(only slightly better than his Cuban performance) shows that. If the fans get on his back here he will revert to a below average player, ands that helps nobody here.

Attacked? People have the right to criticize him and playing him now or in 2025 won't change much.

I have no idea what happened with the NT, but crying under such circumstances is rather peculiar; he's the only one that can change his fortunes around. I'm sure 99% of people here want to see him succeed in some capacity.

You'll need to drop this defensive approach at some point.

I would'nt call it crying. He was very frustrated and covering his face. I can also understand the frustration. He is doing everything he can and things are not moving fast enough for him. This could be the best thing to up his game, time will tell.