Christian Pulisic

the wes

4 hours ago, Fulham Broadway said:

Buck admits they only bought him to get US  fans. Basically a shirt seller. 

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/1115262/Chelsea-Christian-Pulisic-transfer-US-tour-2019-Bruce-Buck 

No he doesn't and that's obvious without even reading the linked article. Bruce is far too astute a bloke to say anything so stupid publicly. Reading the article makes clear exactly what we'd have guessed from the headline. Bruce was responding to a question about whether Christian would help the club build its US fan base. It's a statement of the obvious to say that a young American footballer who is popular in his home country can only help Chelsea's PR in the United States. Recognising that fact, as Bruce does, is a million miles short of saying that the player was 'only' signed for that reason.

Now, I'm not saying I doubt marketability was a big factor in the decision to sign Christian. In fact I'm certain that it was, but Bruce is not reported to have said any such thing in that interview. Nor would he ever be stupid enough to say that. Think it? Probably. Say it? Never.

16 minutes ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

No he doesn't and that's obvious without even reading the linked article. Bruce is far too astute a bloke to say anything so stupid publicly. Reading the article makes clear exactly what we'd have guessed from the headline. Bruce was responding to a question about whether Christian would help the club build its US fan base. It's a statement of the obvious to say that a young American footballer who is popular in his home country can only help Chelsea's PR in the United States. Recognising that fact, as Bruce does, is a million miles short of saying that the player was 'only' signed for that reason.

Now, I'm not saying I doubt marketability was a big factor in the decision to sign Christian. In fact I'm certain that it was, but Bruce is not reported to have said any such thing in that interview. Nor would he ever be stupid enough to say that. Think it? Probably. Say it? Never.

Hi OFG

Yes he didn't come out and say it, but as you say we know the truth.

''The surveys tell us that we're very strong on the two coasts," Buck said.

"We have some work to do in Middle America.'' 

Hopefully he will be an outstanding asset, not just financially. The bottom line is that, like all clubs, it's a business first and foremost -that means profit. 

On 4/17/2019 at 7:58 PM, Fulham Broadway said:

Hi OFG

Yes he didn't come out and say it, but as you say we know the truth.

''The surveys tell us that we're very strong on the two coasts," Buck said.

"We have some work to do in Middle America.'' 

Hopefully he will be an outstanding asset, not just financially. The bottom line is that, like all clubs, it's a business first and foremost -that means profit. 

Those quotes from Bruce are the giveaway that his comment was in answer to a question about marketing, but, yes, we're all on the same page when it comes to why we think Christian was signed. Reading between the lines, i'd say there is a widespread suspicion that there is more to this deal than is justified by Christian's ability alone. Afterall, the questioners have probably seen Christian play and so won't have failed to wonder if he's ready.

As for being interested in bottom line, that has been Chelsea's aproach for a long time now. We can't really complain however given the huge investment our club benefitted from in Roman's early years. Just wish that investment had been used even better than it was. I'm happy for the team to limit it's transfer business to self-sustaining activity only, but I really hope Roman will put some investment into the stadium.

A new stadium is vital. We must not ignore the lessons to be learned from the huge stadium mistakes made by Everton and Fulham. As a result of their shortsightedness, those two clubs who once reigned supreme in their resepctive cities, have been eclipsed by wealthier and more successful clubs. Poor old Fulham are no longer even the best team in their neighbourhood, never mind the whole city. Those who won't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. As thay say.

I cannot think of a player in world football coming into more pressure than Pulisic is walking into

given all the insane circumstances

maybe if RM or Barca signs either Neymar or Mbappe (especially RM, as Barca will probably be looking at a possible 2nd Sextuple (no other club in football world history has done it except the 2008-9 Barca and almost the 2010-11 Barca) (this  year's Barca won the Espana super Cup, are in the final of the Copa del Rey, will win La Liga, should win the CL, and the UEFA Super Cup, and will be massive favourites for the FIFA World Club Championship)

On 17/04/2019 at 9:05 PM, OhForAGreavsie said:

Those quotes from Bruce are the giveaway that his comment was in answer to a question about marketing, but, yes, we're all on the same page when it comes to why we think Christian was signed. Reading between the lines, i'd say there is a widespread suspicion that there is more to this deal than is justified by Christian's ability alone. Afterall, the questioners have probably seen Christian play and so won't have failed to wonder if he's ready.

As for being interested in bottom line, that has been Chelsea's aproach for a long time now. We can't really complain however given the huge investment our club benefitted from in Roman's early years. Just wish that investment had been used even better than it was. I'm happy for the team to limit it's transfer business to self-sustaining activity only, but I really hope Roman will put some investment into the stadium.

A new stadium is vital. We must not ignore the lessons to be learned from the huge stadium mistakes made by Everton and Fulham. As a result of their shortsightedness, those two clubs who once reigned supreme in their respctive city, have been eclipsed by wealthier and more successful clubs. Poor old Fulham are no longer even the best team in their neighbourhood, never mind the whole city. Those who won't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. As thay say.

great post

On 17/04/2019 at 9:05 PM, OhForAGreavsie said:

A new stadium is vital. We must not ignore the lessons to be learned from the huge stadium mistakes made by Everton and Fulham. As a result of their shortsightedness, those two clubs who once reigned supreme in their respctive city, have been eclipsed by wealthier and more successful clubs. Poor old Fulham are no longer even the best team in their neighbourhood, never mind the whole city. Those who won't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. As thay say.

sigh

Chelsea-new-Stamford-Bridge.jpgImage result for chelsea new stadiumImage result for chelsea new stadiumImage result for chelsea new stadium

On 23/04/2019 at 6:34 AM, the wes said:

Under Roman the new stadium is not going to happen why should Roman pump money into a new stadium which will create jobs in England the country Roman is not allowed into 

There are one or two self-interested reasons why Roman might consider it necessary to build a new stadium, and a different reason why he might need to at least pretend he wants to build one.

1. Pure bloody-minded pride. Roman has resources and can use them to fight back. He won’t want ‘them’, whoever he feels they are, to win by reducing his club. Without the new stadium CFC will be reduced; its revenues and perceived status will decline relative to other clubs.

2. To protect his investment. If it's true, as Bruce Back insists, that Roman retains a long-term commitment to CFC, then any decline will hurt him both financially and emotionally. If we can’t compete for top honours, or even attract the players required to try, then the value of Roman’s asset will slide, along with the pleasure he gets from owning it. He’ll be forced to watch as the real worth of what he bought so expensively, dribbles away. It's unlikely that Roman disagrees about a new stadium being an important factor in preventing that happening,

On the other hand, we must concede that it is at least possible for the rumours of a sale to be true. If so, the battle to win planning permission for the stadium will have been an important bargaining chip when it comes to negotiating the right price. Therefore...

3. With permission to upgrade Stamford Bridge, the club is worth a lot more than without it. Of course, it would be worth much more still with permission, from authorities and fans alike, to build on a new site. A new site remains my preferred option. It would give the club a huge boost, whether under new ownership, or Roman’s.

Isn't converstion amazing? Imagine Christian is flitting around the web one day and that he comes across his discussion page in talkchelsea.net. He'll read this and think, "what?" On the value and quality of young sportsmen hangs multi-billion pound decisions these days.

2 hours ago, OhForAGreavsie said:

Imagine Christian is flitting around the web one day and that he comes across his discussion page in talkchelsea.net. He'll read this and think, "what?"

After seeing some of the vile and stupid posts about our own players that I've seen here I really do hope players and other club staff do not come across this website :D

7 minutes ago, Yeboii said:

After seeing some of the vile and stupid posts about our own players that I've seen here I really do hope players and other club staff do not come across this website :D

To be honest I really don't think it would be a bad thing with certain things, the majority of it is constructive but correct criticism.

Plus I also think the majority of the team need a fucking reality check.

• 2 weeks later...