Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

10. Christian Pulisic

nachikethas
Followers 6

15 hours ago, DanP2311 said:

Yes, I am certain that he will flourish elsewhere, but most of you are not. He’s made of glass, right? So why not get some value for him now before he’s permanently broken?

I understand your feeling. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

What a lovely little ball for the 4th that was.

Read an article today that shows at present his productivity with and without the ball is overall pretty poor compared to the other players in his position. He averages fewer tackles per 90 mins

Social media is just full of whiny cunts - never ever seen the appeal. It's essentially a competition to be most offended. Fuckwits all of them - if those apps died tomorrow the world would be a

Posted Images

3 hours ago, bigbluewillie said:

Barca allegedly.

Any news linking Barcelona with players should be highly ignored. They are broke.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

I do no really care too much but I don’t see where the club has done anything wrong concerning Pulisic. It is not the club’s fault, Pulisic misses half our games due to injury. Don’t remember him complaining. Neither should he. No one is bigger than the club. 

surley this means you will be gone with Pulisic then I would guess from this. 
will be interesting to see ifthe fans we supposedly lost then go on to support Genoa or whatever tinpot club currently would be interested. Can only be a step down wherever he goes. 

You are knocking down straw men. It’s not about anyone doing something “wrong” or complaining. It’s about whether a player like Pulisic is happy as the 4th or 5th winger option (probably not), and whether his sale/loan value is > than the value Chelsea is getting from him (probably yes).

When he is healthy I really dont see him as a 4th. When he has had to compete to earn back a starting position he has embraced it. He has not lost his position due to performance, but he has had some lengthy injuries that he does have to prove he is a better option than others. Just as CHO and RLC have had to do. 

2 hours ago, ZAPHOD2319 said:

When he is healthy I really dont see him as a 4th. When he has had to compete to earn back a starting position he has embraced it. He has not lost his position due to performance, but he has had some lengthy injuries that he does have to prove he is a better option than others. Just as CHO and RLC have had to do. 

That is not really accurate.

People seem to have forgotten that Pulisic was actually healthy and available for more than half of last season (from December onward) and even then, he couldn't nail down a starting spot because of his own inconsistency, turning up in only about 2 CL games or whenever our league opponent happens to be Crystal Palace. His own injury problem is just an additional obstacle, on top of his own inconsistency, in his way to stake a claim in the XI. 

On 14/11/2021 at 19:46, Jase said:

That is not really accurate.

People seem to have forgotten that Pulisic was actually healthy and available for more than half of last season (from December onward) and even then, he couldn't nail down a starting spot because of his own inconsistency, turning up in only about 2 CL games or whenever our league opponent happens to be Crystal Palace. His own injury problem is just an additional obstacle, on top of his own inconsistency, in his way to stake a claim in the XI. 

Exactly. A move would be good for Chelsea and would help these other young wingers (especially the good English lads) to develop. Make it happen!

Have been thinking a lot about Puli over the international break and his injuries/style of play and something occurred to me. Is he a type of player who should be designated as a super sub? 

For me, his injury record tells us he is always going to struggle with 90 mins × 50 games a season. However, what about 30 mins x 50 games + 90 mins when others are injured, a season? 

Personally, I think this may be something to think about as when he comes on as a sub he is someone who seems to pick the speed of the game up quickly and it also allows him to use his best qualities: off the ball movement, take ons and pressing, to tired legs. 

4 hours ago, King Kante said:

Have been thinking a lot about Puli over the international break and his injuries/style of play and something occurred to me. Is he a type of player who should be designated as a super sub? 

For me, his injury record tells us he is always going to struggle with 90 mins × 50 games a season. However, what about 30 mins x 50 games + 90 mins when others are injured, a season? 

Personally, I think this may be something to think about as when he comes on as a sub he is someone who seems to pick the speed of the game up quickly and it also allows him to use his best qualities: off the ball movement, take ons and pressing, to tired legs. 

You mean  sort of like a Salamon Kalou version of Eden Hazard?

6 hours ago, King Kante said:

If he's going to break into this team i feel it will either be as that or even a wingback.

His direct competition for a place here either simply offer more (Werner) or are just better (Callum).

20 hours ago, Blue Armour said:

You mean  sort of like a Salamon Kalou version of Eden Hazard?

I was kind of thinking of a OGS version of Hazard but I guess Kalou will also do!

19 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

good one. But Sala was virtually never injured.

Would he pick up the injuries with less minutes? For me, he is in that position where if he plays 90 mins or 60+ mins x1 or x2 a week, he breaks down with injury. Part of the reason for my suggestion is that as he picks up so many muscular injuries, it may be he could handle 30-45 mins x1 or x2 a week. 

Edited by King Kante
5 hours ago, King Kante said:

I was kind of thinking of a OGS version of Hazard but I guess Kalou will also do!

Would he pick up the injuries with less minutes? For me, he is in that position where if he plays 90 mins or 60+ mins x1 or x2 a week, he breaks down with injury. Part of the reason for my suggestion is that as he picks up so many muscular injuries, it may be he could handle 30-45 mins x1 or x2 a week. 

Perhaps. Kalou just missed 4 games inured in his entire Chelsea career. Only when he played more regularly for hertha he accumulated 9 games missed in his 30ies, so not quite sure which reason preponderated. then again Kalou was always in great shape, did yoga and was smart in dodging challenges. This for me is the biggest diference.  I think it is Puli himself who seeks the danger. I am not convinced fatigue is the main driver of his injury record. Rather, I suggest a combination of  that, his genetic disposition( short muscle bellies, long tendons, limited mobility and overall below average tissue resilience) and his reckless die-hard attitdue.  In some situations he is so overzealous, like chasing lost balls into a brutal challenge long after the whistle is gone. Sure he can put his body on the line if there is a goal at stake but he so often doing it in completely needless situations. Sure it is not ideal to play with a bit of a handbrake on, but he needs to be smart about it. Get a better understanding of when it is worth it and when not. The time he ignored the US medical team and subsequently got injured speaks volumes. Even when there is time to consider he always chooses his ego over his body. A good wide receiver puts himself out of bounds instead of running into a massive safety the moment he realizes he won't get another yard. Pulsisic would run into a brick wall just to prove a point

12 hours ago, Magic Lamps said:

Perhaps. Kalou just missed 4 games inured in his entire Chelsea career. Only when he played more regularly for hertha he accumulated 9 games missed in his 30ies, so not quite sure which reason preponderated. then again Kalou was always in great shape, did yoga and was smart in dodging challenges. This for me is the biggest diference.  I think it is Puli himself who seeks the danger. I am not convinced fatigue is the main driver of his injury record. Rather, I suggest a combination of  that, his genetic disposition( short muscle bellies, long tendons, limited mobility and overall below average tissue resilience) and his reckless die-hard attitdue.  In some situations he is so overzealous, like chasing lost balls into a brutal challenge long after the whistle is gone. Sure he can put his body on the line if there is a goal at stake but he so often doing it in completely needless situations. Sure it is not ideal to play with a bit of a handbrake on, but he needs to be smart about it. Get a better understanding of when it is worth it and when not. The time he ignored the US medical team and subsequently got injured speaks volumes. Even when there is time to consider he always chooses his ego over his body. A good wide receiver puts himself out of bounds instead of running into a massive safety the moment he realizes he won't get another yard. Pulsisic would run into a brick wall just to prove a point

This is true. My feeling with him is that he is one of the few players we have that is capable of doing this (playing in a full bloodied fashion) as well as what I mentioned before and he is actually a big miss when injured.

Personally, I think he is likely to be injury prone for his entire career (this I think is more to do with his genetics; although play style doesn't help.) Hence, if that is the case I think a super sub role would work for him and the club.

Furthermore, he is also someone who picks the pace of the game up pretty quickly (this is actually not that common) and if you combine that with his play style, you may actually exacerbate his effectiveness as he'll have a full tank of energy to burn through in 30 mins against tired legs. 

To some extent, this is why I also think Kante may be here for quite a few years still with the emergence of Gallagher. If Gallagher can continue developing and step up to the demands of playing for Chelsea, then I can see a situation in the next 18-24 months where Gallagher starts and Kante mops up in the latter part of the game. That way, you can kind of have full energy versions of Gallagher/Kante for the full 90 mins. 

Edited by King Kante
  • 2 weeks later...

The only way he should be anywhere near this team right now is either a) an impact sub or b) trying him as a wingback in Ben's absence.

Callum is infinity times better.

5 hours ago, Tomo said:

The only way he should be anywhere near this team right now is either a) an impact sub or b) trying him as a wingback in Ben's absence.

Callum is infinity times better.

Careful, Tomo. You're gonna attract a bunch of American fans onto your back...