24. Reece James

the wes

16 hours ago, NikkiCFC said:

James participated in 17 of 18 games under Tuchel. 

I personally never compared him to Lamptey and I have big hopes for him but I would not say he is having very good season. This is due to him playing wing back which is clearly not position for him.

For this position you have to offer a lot going forward. After 3 attackers wing backs are most offensive players in this system. So basically like two number 8 for Lampard.

In PL in 16/17 season Alonso had 6 goals and 3 assists, Moses 3 goals and 3 assists. 17/18 Alonso 7g 2a, Moses 3g 4a. James is on 0/0 under Tuchel as wing back. CHO 2 assists in the same time. CHO is easily ahead now for this position because he offers much more going forward. James is great crosser but unless Olie is on the pitch we wont use that.

I remember last season he had some WOW games and MOTM performances but I dont remember any of that this season. I would try him in midfield or RCB.

When the two played together in the youth team Reece was regularly preferred to Tariq. The coaches were always aware that it was crazy to leave such a talented player out of the side however so they eventually settled on playing Reece at RCB in a three. With Tariq at RWB the system worked beautifully. Among all the good youth teams we've had in recent seasons, that 2017/18 squad was the best. Reece and Tariq were key contributors as the side played attractive, dominant football on its way to a quadruple of trophies. Reece in the RCB role could be worth a try.

Edited by OhForAGreavsie

19 hours ago, chippy said:

Again, nobody is suggesting we sell James any time soon!

Selling Lamprey for a laughable 3 million was criminal! Might as well have given him a free transfer. The only possible reason I can think of for why the club rated him so low, was maybe he's one of those odd players who aren't great trainers and need the match day atmosphere to show their best.

As for KDB and Salah. I've read that they both wanted to leave due to lack of playing time, so we let them go.

He had 6 months left on his contract. So it was either take the 3m or lose him for nothing. 3m for someone who played maybe 2 games for the club at first team level as well.

As well after the Arsenal game Lampard said the club were looking to extend his contract, which he eventually rejected as he wanted to leave as he felt it was a better chance for him to play first team football.

Do your research before posting comments such as the club rated him so low.... 

On 16/04/2021 at 23:40, NikkiCFC said:

James participated in 17 of 18 games under Tuchel. 

I personally never compared him to Lamptey and I have big hopes for him but I would not say he is having very good season. This is due to him playing wing back which is clearly not position for him.

For this position you have to offer a lot going forward. After 3 attackers wing backs are most offensive players in this system. So basically like two number 8 for Lampard.

In PL in 16/17 season Alonso had 6 goals and 3 assists, Moses 3 goals and 3 assists. 17/18 Alonso 7g 2a, Moses 3g 4a. James is on 0/0 under Tuchel as wing back. CHO 2 assists in the same time. CHO is easily ahead now for this position because he offers much more going forward. James is great crosser but unless Olie is on the pitch we wont use that.

I remember last season he had some WOW games and MOTM performances but I dont remember any of that this season. I would try him in midfield or RCB.

CHO is not easily ahead. If that was the case, he would be starting every game at RWB. James in fact has probably played more games at RWB than CHO has and right now it is clear that James is the favoured choice. When TT initially started, CHO was first choice, however James has definitely been preferred more recently because he provides a better balance of defence and attack.

I also think you need to look into the bigger picture than just stats. You mentioned CHO having 2 assists. One of those was a nice delicate pass for Havertz against Palace last week, however that is where stats are just pointless sometimes, because James is more than capable of doing that same pass, however it matters if someones places the ball at the back of the net.

James has had 2 assists under TT anyway. One against Barnsley in the cup for Abraham's goal which was fantastic offensive play from James and he also assisted Pulisic goal against Palace last week no? The stats might not officially count that because it deflected of a Palace player on the way but that is arguably his assist. This is why using stats to compare CHO or other players like Moses is pointless. What would be more efficient is seeing the created chances from open play because I am positive James stats would be quite high. For instance against Atletico, James made 10 open play crosses whilst also making the joint most created chances that game. Not his fault no one got on the end of that. Against United in the 0-0 draw at the Bridge, he put in a fantastic cross, which just evaded Werner. So in my recollection that is 2 assists under TT.

Also I think you must have forgotten our early season form if you have said you do not remember any WOW or MOTM games from James. I thought he was fantastic against Burnley when we battered them 4-0. Was also brilliant against Leeds in the 3-1 game. He was solid and looked quality. I would say that arguably coming up until end of December he was arguably our POTY at that point. Azpi could not get a look in because James was just a monster. He still is, just not played as much under TT, although like I said in recent weeks that has changed. He plays more than CHO does at RWB now.

It does seem like Tuchel has concerns over CHO defensively and hence why James has been playing a lot of the big games recently, particularly at a time when Tuchel seem to be prioritizing defence first and we aren't exactly a free scoring side (yet, hopefully).

• 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, NikkiCFC said:

If Alonso or Jorginho made that mistake before the goal we would have 5 pages of insults here. 

RJ can make any mistake he wants, Alonso and Jorginho are still terrible players and deserve to be called out at every opportunity.

RJ is still young and developing. Everyone can see he will be class. Jorginho and Alonso have been shit their entire careers and deserve to play for this club.

hace 3 minutos, NikkiCFC dijo:

Why changing positions in the last couple of games of the season? 

It clearly does not work, he fucked up again with risky passes. 

Aye second dodgy pass in a weak but oversll his performance again has been good bar those 2 mistakes. Still more critical of Mendy there, too slow to get down, should save it. 

3 hours ago, Mário César said:

Its just me that thint that he isn't good enough and a bit overrated?

I think that we make a mistake selling Lamptey...

No, not just you who thinks this.

He has the occasional good game but his average level is very ordinary. Not that good at defending and really not doing enough going forward either.

I hope for noticeable progress next season. If there is none, then Its probably time to sell him. Same with CHO.

3 hours ago, Mário César said:

Its just me that thint that he isn't good enough and a bit overrated?

I think that we make a mistake selling Lamptey...

Lamptey looks flashy in highlight reel and odd game vs us but other than that he is average and looks comically tiny. Also cant compensate his fun-size with any kind of redeeming skill in defense. RJ > Lamptey all the way, any day. Is like the Frank Lampard vs Scott Canham question on the Redknapp presser lol.

45 minutes ago, chippy said:

No, not just you who thinks this.

He has the occasional good game but his average level is very ordinary. Not that good at defending and really not doing enough going forward either.

I hope for noticeable progress next season. If there is none, then Its probably time to sell him. Same with CHO.

He, like most of Chelsea players, is a good squad player but if we want to fight for titles, he is not good enough. we need a better player