24. Reece James

the wes

2 hours ago, Mana said:

Better how? Who's going to teach him how to get better? Hence the LEADER talk. Alternatively, bring in an excellent defensive coach.

We just happen to have one of the best defensive rb in epl for the last I don't know how many years. 

2 hours ago, communicate said:

Leader to keep james in check? 

I don't get this leader talk. Defensively james need a lot of work, he just simply need to get better. It got nothing to do with leader. 

I think with modern day fullbacks in the PL bar a few: Azpi, Wan Bissaka, Kieran Tierney and Andy Robertson for instance, their always going to be much stronger offensively than defensively. Particularly at clubs such as us, United, City or Liverpool. Its just the way football has gone.

Reece is decent defensively and today he was very solid as well as a continuous outlet but like all modern day fullbacks he is probably better in the other half. Thats just how it is.

Everything now a days is with the ball, how can you affect the game with the ball, from the GK to the CBs to the FBs. Hence why GKs and CBs with good distribution is probably seen as more important than actually how solid they are because everyone is building from the back (Otamendi, Stones, Maguire, David Luiz, Mustafi etc)... hence why fullbacks who are more effective and comfortable playing in the opposition half are important because everyones utilising having their fullbacks high and wide or some are even having inverted fullbacks like Pep does to create these spaces that David Silva and Kevin de Bruyne find so seamlessly in these almost half positions between the wing and central midfield (Walker, Mendy, Alexander Arnold, Alonso). 20+ years ago people weren't worried so much about how good fullbacks were particularly with the ball or how good CBs were with it to the extent they are now. I know its a stereotype but people wanted CBs who could read it, head it, block it and clear it without fucking around trying to be these ball playing CBs. Obviously there were exceptions to this but generally I dont think people cared that much for how good the CBs were on the ball if they could do the basics and defend properly. Same with fullbacks, it wasnt more can he affect the game in the other half as much it was can he contain the opposition winger? Will he tuck in when the balls in the other side? Again obviously there were exceptions but there werent many who were as equally good defensively aa they were offensively. 

Plus the quality of these CBs or FBs who are very good defensively and with the ball, again, are hard to find in the PL. Van Dijk and Laporte are the 2 best CBs 100% then a huge drop off. Alexander-Arnold is considered the best fullback but he is average defensively, that shows you everything about modern day football. 

26 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

I think with modern day fullbacks in the PL bar a few: Azpi, Wan Bissaka, Kieran Tierney and Andy Robertson for instance, their always going to be much stronger offensively than defensively. Particularly at clubs such as us, United, City or Liverpool. Its just the way football has gone.

Reece is decent defensively and today he was very solid as well as a continuous outlet but like all modern day fullbacks he is probably better in the other half. Thats just how it is.

Everything now a days is with the ball, how can you affect the game with the ball, from the GK to the CBs to the FBs. Hence why GKs and CBs with good distribution is probably seen as more important than actually how solid they are because everyone is building from the back (Otamendi, Stones, Maguire, David Luiz, Mustafi etc)... hence why fullbacks who are more effective and comfortable playing in the opposition half are important because everyones utilising having their fullbacks high and wide or some are even having inverted fullbacks like Pep does to create these spaces that David Silva and Kevin de Bruyne find so seamlessly in these almost half positions between the wing and central midfield (Walker, Mendy, Alexander Arnold, Alonso). 20+ years ago people weren't worried so much about how good fullbacks were particularly with the ball or how good CBs were with it to the extent they are now. I know its a stereotype but people wanted CBs who could read it, head it, block it and clear it without fucking around trying to be these ball playing CBs. Obviously there were exceptions to this but generally I dont think people cared that much for how good the CBs were on the ball if they could do the basics and defend properly. Same with fullbacks, it wasnt more can he affect the game in the other half as much it was can he contain the opposition winger? Will he tuck in when the balls in the other side? Again obviously there were exceptions but there werent many who were as equally good defensively aa they were offensively. 

Plus the quality of these CBs or FBs who are very good defensively and with the ball, again, are hard to find in the PL. Van Dijk and Laporte are the 2 best CBs 100% then a huge drop off. Alexander-Arnold is considered the best fullback but he is average defensively, that shows you everything about modern day football. 

With reece, you can tell he has the physical attribute to be better defensively. With willian on the right, we don't need our right fb to be dominant defensively but he need to be good enough,of course being being dominant is welcome. 

You are right in football it is all about take n give. But it is not just on the ball otherwise we will have problem. Take our CB. Tons of people said that Zouma is suck, they don't rate him, should have been sold. Just look at Zouma thread. I have praised Zouma so many times but most think he is useless. 

But if you look at our team, it is clear that we need Zouma for our team. On the ball he is clumsy and positioning wise it is a bit questionable but he offer aerial ability and physical dominat, two think that we are lacking. 

Best to stick with this back 5 system for the rest of the games this season. More secure at the back and our attack is dangerous enough to play with fewer people flying forward especially if James and Alonso are almost wingers

1 hour ago, communicate said:

With reece, you can tell he has the physical attribute to be better defensively. With willian on the right, we don't need our right fb to be dominant defensively but he need to be good enough,of course being being dominant is welcome. 

You are right in football it is all about take n give. But it is not just on the ball otherwise we will have problem. Take our CB. Tons of people said that Zouma is suck, they don't rate him, should have been sold. Just look at Zouma thread. I have praised Zouma so many times but most think he is useless. 

But if you look at our team, it is clear that we need Zouma for our team. On the ball he is clumsy and positioning wise it is a bit questionable but he offer aerial ability and physical dominat, two think that we are lacking. 

And today other than that moment with Martial I think Zouma was excellent in the game. Whole back 5 actually.

Its the consistency though he needs to show as does Rudiger who played as if he was a man possessed today. Still with some needless fouls but the general performance was very good from him.

I think as youve correctly said he has the physical and aerial attributes we lack perhaps but he still has faults and his pros obviously. For me his positional play is better in the middle of a back 3 because he has a bit more protection on the sides and he doesnt have to get dragged out there more often. He has had his good and bad moments.

He is more a reactive CB than a proactive one still, as in he is better at recovering or making last ditch blocks or tackles as opposed to reading the game and sniffing the danger out early which the likes of Van Dijk and Laporte are so good at. I still think he has obviously improved that a bit in his time since he arrived under Jose as he has matured a bit and again his use of the ball is improving a bit - you seen him hit some long diagonals to Alonso today as well as to Giroud - but I dont think he will ever be the sort of ball playing CB that possession orientated teams such as City, Barcelona, PSG, Juventus etc (which we are obviously aspiring to be based on how we played with Sarri and now Frank) start every week who can play through the lines or dribble out under pressure (although the clip of his run v Ajax may be enough evidence for some to suggest he is a bit more proactive than I have described him as and more comfortable on the ball haha).

He will never be fantastic on the ball and may have moments like the one with Martial today where him and Rudiger looked hesitant but I do feel he is a good squad player but he is probably the most sellable CB we have. Plus his camp is allegedly looking at options as they believe he will be sold/not first choice next season and with Jose really keen and Euro 2020 happening next year, you can see it happening. 

Also regarding Reece. I dont think his physicality has anything to do with how good he is or can be defensively, I think that naturally good defenders are good defenders regardless of if their stockily built or not. Look at Eric Garcia at City, young CB, looks very promising, thin and wirey but engages his opponents well and reads the game well. Even Wan-Bissaka, he isn’t necessarily a really strong player but he is very good at defending. Even Ngolo, he is smaller built but his energy and his defensive attributes are fantastic, if he had several pounds of more muscle I dont think it would make a real difference. Reece also engages his opponent well, we seen him v Zaha earlier in the season for instance. Maybe the physicality can help some players in many aspects of their game and in some cases more often than not but I do think good defenders are good defenders regardless of their really filled out or not so much. Pep used Joshua Kimmich and David Alaba as CBs at Bayern in big matches and both did very well in spells without getting bullied as such. Even Azpi he isnt the most physical player but he has been excellent defensively over the years. I mean physicality is a good thing to have but it doesnt necessarily define a player or make them good players. If they have other abilities and they also have this which they can use as a advantage, yes, it is a bonus, ie. Giroud, Adama Traore, van Dijk, Harry Kane but if your solely relying on this to be a top player you wont get far. As we would of seen of Adama Traores performances before adding real end product to his game under Tony Pulis. His pace and power didnt matter because he couldn’t beat the first man or see the pass early enough. 

8 hours ago, communicate said:

That really depend on your definition of rb. But offensively he is excellent especially his crossing and passing. 

He is always too safe with his passes. Maybe  he follows Lampard's instructions  but a lot of his passes are backwards to the CBs.He needs to be more proactive IMO.His crossing is good but other than that I have not seen anything spectacular from him.

He is the  second most overhyped youth prospect(CHO being the first) but I don't see him living up to the hype unless he improves drastically. 

Sorry but TAA is not currently better FB than prime Ashley Cole. Prime Ashley Cole was the de facto best LB in the world. TAA is excellent but there are other RB's knocking around that could lay claim be to the world's current best RB. Cole played when there was a different style of football so wouldn't necessarily be great today, however put TAA in a 00's/early 10's PL side and he wouldn't be considered WC. 
But he's not playing football ten years ago, is he? More importantly he's the best in the world given how football is being played CURRENTLY. which is all that matters when comparing him to James.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Better how? Who's going to teach him how to get better? Hence the LEADER talk. Alternatively, bring in an excellent defensive coach.
I agree if what you mean is communication. There were times he was floating around cm while he should have been in a flat back 5. Communication will help him in game to improve his positioning

23 minutes ago, Supermonkey92 said:

But he's not playing football ten years ago, is he? More importantly he's the best in the world given how football is being played CURRENTLY. which is all that matters when comparing him to James.

Yes but your initial post said it may be possible for James to turn into prime Cole but he has no chance of turning into a TAA player. That indicates you believe current TAA to be a superior footballer to prime Cole which is something I completely disagree with. 

9 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

And today other than that moment with Martial I think Zouma was excellent in the game. Whole back 5 actually.

Its the consistency though he needs to show as does Rudiger who played as if he was a man possessed today. Still with some needless fouls but the general performance was very good from him.

I think as youve correctly said he has the physical and aerial attributes we lack perhaps but he still has faults and his pros obviously. For me his positional play is better in the middle of a back 3 because he has a bit more protection on the sides and he doesnt have to get dragged out there more often. He has had his good and bad moments.

He is more a reactive CB than a proactive one still, as in he is better at recovering or making last ditch blocks or tackles as opposed to reading the game and sniffing the danger out early which the likes of Van Dijk and Laporte are so good at. I still think he has obviously improved that a bit in his time since he arrived under Jose as he has matured a bit and again his use of the ball is improving a bit - you seen him hit some long diagonals to Alonso today as well as to Giroud - but I dont think he will ever be the sort of ball playing CB that possession orientated teams such as City, Barcelona, PSG, Juventus etc (which we are obviously aspiring to be based on how we played with Sarri and now Frank) start every week who can play through the lines or dribble out under pressure (although the clip of his run v Ajax may be enough evidence for some to suggest he is a bit more proactive than I have described him as and more comfortable on the ball haha).

He will never be fantastic on the ball and may have moments like the one with Martial today where him and Rudiger looked hesitant but I do feel he is a good squad player but he is probably the most sellable CB we have. Plus his camp is allegedly looking at options as they believe he will be sold/not first choice next season and with Jose really keen and Euro 2020 happening next year, you can see it happening. 

Also regarding Reece. I dont think his physicality has anything to do with how good he is or can be defensively, I think that naturally good defenders are good defenders regardless of if their stockily built or not. Look at Eric Garcia at City, young CB, looks very promising, thin and wirey but engages his opponents well and reads the game well. Even Wan-Bissaka, he isn’t necessarily a really strong player but he is very good at defending. Even Ngolo, he is smaller built but his energy and his defensive attributes are fantastic, if he had several pounds of more muscle I dont think it would make a real difference. Reece also engages his opponent well, we seen him v Zaha earlier in the season for instance. Maybe the physicality can help some players in many aspects of their game and in some cases more often than not but I do think good defenders are good defenders regardless of their really filled out or not so much. Pep used Joshua Kimmich and David Alaba as CBs at Bayern in big matches and both did very well in spells without getting bullied as such. Even Azpi he isnt the most physical player but he has been excellent defensively over the years. I mean physicality is a good thing to have but it doesnt necessarily define a player or make them good players. If they have other abilities and they also have this which they can use as a advantage, yes, it is a bonus, ie. Giroud, Adama Traore, van Dijk, Harry Kane but if your solely relying on this to be a top player you wont get far. As we would of seen of Adama Traores performances before adding real end product to his game under Tony Pulis. His pace and power didnt matter because he couldn’t beat the first man or see the pass early enough. 

Most defender play better in back 3. Less ground to cover = easier job. 

In reece case, my point is more about he is not slow like alonso. It is very2 difficult to get better defensively as fb if you are slow. 

Cb wise it is important to be physical especially in epl especially because ref in England allow more physical battle which is good imo.

In the end it is all about how your team want to play and your personnel (back to give n take). You can avoid all this if you sign 11 wc player but that is just stupid and boring. In our case, I will take Zouma clumsiness on the ball because he offer physical and aerial dominance which we are lacking. In different team with different personel in different system Zouma may not be the right cb. 

Btw Bundesliga is less physical than epl, it is more of an open game with high line. If salah or mane is in Bundesliga, I can see them scoring 40 goals a season in a good team. 

Yes but your initial post said it may be possible for James to turn into prime Cole but he has no chance of turning into a TAA player. That indicates you believe current TAA to be a superior footballer to prime Cole which is something I completely disagree with. 
I'm saying defensively he may (contrary to appearances) develop to be as good defensively as Ashley Cole but he will never be as good going forward as TAA is.

Another decent performance from the young man. Few eeky moments early on but grew into the game. Looked comfortable with dealing with Mane and on both sides wouldn’t say that Mane or Salah really had great games when youd think Liverpool would of overloaded us out wide as we used a 343. Good final ball as well could have had 2 assists.