24. Reece James

the wes

27 minutes ago, Stats said:

It is pathetic. The general conception at the beginning of the season was that we are a team in transition. Many saw reaching the UCL as a very optimistic bonus, however that is now looking a reality. There has been stages throughout the season where Mount was considered our best prospect, then Abraham, then James but the minute they have dip in form, the stark contrast in opinions is amazing. No patience for the young ones at all. They have all had strong moments in the season and moments where they have faded out, however I think that was expected but a a whole, the experience gained will continue to make them better players and some of the comments, I think some of our critics will be looking at themselves in shame in the long run.

Personally I think where we were with the 11 or 12 point gap we had much earlier in the season and where we are now, when the season ends regardless of where we finish if its 3rd, 4th or 5th we will look back with regret at the points we have dropped. Perhaps that seems harsh but in all reality we should have picked up at least between 10-15 points from the 11 losses and 6 draws. That would have us at either 70 or 75 points which would have easily secured top 4 and had us sitting second potentially. Even more frustrating when you see the points Leicester have dropped and the fact United may leap frog us as well as the fact the team has clearly regressed in many aspects that were working at the start of the season and havent gotten to grips with the errors that were continually being made at the beginning.

Before a ball was kicked, yes absolutely, finishing 4th and getting CL seemed like it would be an achievement but basing how the season went and the scenario we find ourselves in now where its 3 games to go and we could still drop out the top 4, it is no surprise people are concerned.

I also wouldn't say there hasnt been patience with the young guys, there has been plenty of good and bad performances but as it does with senior players it gets to a point where you realistically have to look at the performances and go some have dropped off hugely - James and Abraham in particular - and have been a hinderance in games making costly mistakes, not finishing chances or offering anywhere near as much as they could do comparing against previous performances that weren't even their best this season. Even Tomori who at times was caught out at times and using his pace to recover as opposed to originally being better positioned or reading the game better but again, at the time, he was still doing well enough that people werent hugely concerned. Or Abraham who wasnt holding the ball up as well in certain games but was managing to still score goals.

If you want to be critical of any player, which you can still be even if the team keeps a clean sheet or the strikers score a few goals etc, its fair enough, that doesn’t mean that theyve played a perfect performance or done everything right. For a team to improve as a whole and a player, you have to look at these things although you have leeway for mistakes and inconsistencies with young players but again if you had thought Abraham and James would look so out of sorts after how they had performed earlier in the season as well as Mount and Tomori to a lesser extent at times, then you will have seen something many didn’t. I dont think anybody thought it would be plain sailing but since Reece made his debut I didnt think he would ever perform as poorly as he has in the more recent games he has played. Also, with Tammys lack of form, I didnt think he could end up playing as poorly as he has done but he has. 

Obviously some people take it to the extreme as we have seen before and also with very many senior players throughout the years but I think it is also fair to be critical of any player, regardless of their age, if they have dropped off considerably to the point where the standards you would expect aren't there. Obviously it is a learning curve still for many of these fellas and a tough jump from championship to PL but they have also shown a lot of promise in phases this year that indicate that they can perform better than they have been doing. 

His form right now diefies all logic. He was the only dead certain youngster that you could bet your best bet that he's going to make it, in short and long run is going to be huge for this club because he's solid, steady, reliable, build like a tank with some amazing traits and some people even had the audacity to claim that Azpilicueta should never get a contract extension because a) he's washed up and b ) he'll throw a tantrum in the dressing room because he's being replaced by Reece. How things have changed ! :D Now Azpilicueta is the only reliable option in that defence and for a brief moment just imagine if he was released this summer. Ha ha ha. Self-caused implosion incoming.

I'm still optimistic Reece is going to be good in the long run but it's just another example (no. 9873-ish) that whatever you think is right to do in footbal and whoever you think is great, there's nothing certain in football because there's too much variables and they are people after all. You may rightly think that one thing is better than the other but this absolute nonsense to suggest that everything is 0-1, black and white and one guy is shit and other is great and they're robots that will perform on same level whatever the circumstances - it's absolute nonsense (in Roy Keane voice). You don't have players with stats FM/FIFA-style in real life. But whatever. People will be proven wrong, have a brief contemplation and short-lived self-realization and then go back to the starting point.

I won't lie though, I have a guilty pleasure in this situation. Sorry, Reece.

On 7/13/2020 at 4:00 AM, Stats said:

It is pathetic. The general conception at the beginning of the season was that we are a team in transition. Many saw reaching the UCL as a very optimistic bonus, however that is now looking a reality. There has been stages throughout the season where Mount was considered our best prospect, then Abraham, then James but the minute they have dip in form, the stark contrast in opinions is amazing. No patience for the young ones at all. They have all had strong moments in the season and moments where they have faded out, however I think that was expected but a a whole, the experience gained will continue to make them better players and some of the comments, I think some of our critics will be looking at themselves in shame in the long run.

Yep. Watch how people jump on the bandwagon for James and Mount again :cig:

The way people go on about our young players (either they are great or they are pants) on here makes me feel like I have walked into RAWK sometimes. 

People need to remember players like James and Mount are 20 and 21 years old and in there first PL seasons. For me, there are some questions about whether James is a long term RB or a DMF due to his positional work, pace and strengths on the ball. However, both of those two players have merited being apart of the squad next year as full time members. 

Do feel like James benefited from the back 3 system today and having Azpi on his side to cover for him, meaning he didn't have to worry too much defensively, which would not be the case in a back 4. That said, like others have mentioned, it's definitely his best performance since the restart. Gonna need that for the next 3 games. 

What's all this talk about James' future maybe being as a defensive mid? That's a position where he can't make much use of his world class crossing ability which I consider to be his best asset. This season he hasn't gotten that many assists but that's more down to the attackers not being where they should be and I think Werner's (and potentially Havertz) arrival will help with that. 

He's shown more than enough this season to convince me he's the future of Chelsea at RB. He's still very young and inexperienced so he will make mistakes, but I have full faith in him for the long term.

What's all this talk about James' future maybe being as a defensive mid? That's a position where he can't make much use of his world class crossing ability which I consider to be his best asset. This season he hasn't gotten that many assists but that's more down to the attackers not being where they should be and I think Werner's (and potentially Havertz) arrival will help with that. 
He's shown more than enough this season to convince me he's the future of Chelsea at RB. He's still very young and inexperienced so he will make mistakes, but I have full faith in him for the long term.
He's defensively suspect as a rb. Particularly his positioning which was masked well by Azpi playing next to him (Good combination).

He's young enough to improve those aspects though

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

So is Trent Alexander-Arnold who's widely considered to be the best RB in the world.
James has many similar qualities to TAA but obviously atm he's nowhere near the same level. Has all the potential to be in the future though.
No TAA is already passed whatever potential James has. He's literally world class. His one on one defending is weak at times and he's quite rash, but he has the basics down better than James. James could turn into prime Ashley Cole out of the blue but he'll never be anywhere close to TAA. It's sounds negative but it shouldn't be seen as a dig at James. I think TAA is absolutely brilliant (and right seen as the best rb in the world).

1 hour ago, Supermonkey92 said:

No TAA is already passed whatever potential James has. He's literally world class. His one on one defending is weak at times and he's quite rash, but he has the basics down better than James. James could turn into prime Ashley Cole out of the blue but he'll never be anywhere close to TAA. It's sounds negative but it shouldn't be seen as a dig at James. I think TAA is absolutely brilliant (and right seen as the best rb in the world).

Sorry but TAA is not currently better FB than prime Ashley Cole. Prime Ashley Cole was the de facto best LB in the world. TAA is excellent but there are other RB's knocking around that could lay claim be to the world's current best RB. Cole played when there was a different style of football so wouldn't necessarily be great today, however put TAA in a 00's/early 10's PL side and he wouldn't be considered WC. 

1 hour ago, Mana said:

Much better performance from RJ today. My only problem is that still, without a leader at the back keeping RJ (and others) in check, we will continue to see inconsistency. 

The defense today was a complete opposite to what we have seen against Sheff Utd, Palace and West Ham.

Leader to keep james in check? 

I don't get this leader talk. Defensively james need a lot of work, he just simply need to get better. It got nothing to do with leader. 

4 hours ago, Jype said:

So is Trent Alexander-Arnold who's widely considered to be the best RB in the world.

James has many similar qualities to TAA but obviously atm he's nowhere near the same level. Has all the potential to be in the future though.

That really depend on your definition of rb. But offensively he is excellent especially his crossing and passing.