24. Reece James

the wes

He played 45 minutes of the U23 match. Was most of the times rock solid at defense. There was one instance, where Guehi and James did not look that good, but I think that James did not give 100% in that moment. He just did not track backfast enough and he did not really try either. Apart from that, he was solid.Offensive wise, he did some good crosses, but his passing was a little bit off. He sometimes won tackles and then passed it back to the opponent. Overall, a good performance. He probably needs at least two more U23 matches to get match fit. He only trained two days prior, so obviously he needs time to be fully fit. He looked promising though

Dude must sign that contract and be the first name on the teamsheet on Saturday. What a performance once more.

I have never seen such maturity, intelligence and awareness for space and timing of passes and dribblings from a 19 year old right back since Philipp Lahm. And Reece has twice the built, dribbling ability and pace as Lahm. If he continues this trajectory without any injuries or he wil be the best right back in the world no doubt (Meanwhile at the exact time I wrote this Wan-Bissaka missed an open net.... ).

I’m trying to be conscious of not putting too much expectation on this guy but at the same time I can’t help but be excited by him. He can pass, cross, shoot, he’s strong, he can defend, he can beat a man, the strength and aggression, the mentality.. in fact, if this season goes well for him, I would want him to be captain. May seem crazy but the way I see it, he is (in my opinion) already one of our more talented and complete players, he has extensive previous leadership history (captaining youth sides and even Wigan) and it would kind of symbolise Frank and Jodie’s new era of the academy. Feels right.

for similar reasons I also thought about the possibility of Mount getting it, but James just has more likelihood of making position his own in short and long term (no slight on Mount). 

And also..it seems he officially is credited with two assists tonight.🔥

Just now, Magic Lamps said:

Dude must sign that contract and be the first name on the teamsheet on Saturday. What a performance once more.

I have never seen such maturity, intelligence and awareness for space and timing of passes and dribblings from a 19 year old right back since Philipp Lahm. And Reece has twice the built, dribbling ability and pace as Lahm. If he continues this trajectory without any injuries or he wil be the best right back in the world no doubt (Meanwhile at the exact time I wrote this Wan-Bissaka missed an open net.... ).

When a Youth Hater says something like this, it must mean something

Hate to sound like a huge cunt but 90 minutes v Grimsby and already seeing can be one of the best in the world and should be made captain etc. Jeez. Think thats a bit far fetched after 1 full game and I rate him very highly. Dont even think McEachran got such praise after strolling it vs Marseille and Newcastle.

Yes he played well,  yes he got 2 assists but tougher tests will come for him and the other guys but its a good start.

We need to be wary with these guys theres still a long way for them to go although tonight was very promising. Gives Lampard food for thought though,  which I am sure he will appreciate knowning he can trust these guys in certain games if he needs to for rotations and suspensions.

12 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Hate to sound like a huge cunt but 90 minutes v Grimsby and already seeing can be one of the best in the world and should be made captain etc. Jeez. Think thats a bit far fetched after 1 full game and I rate him very highly. Dont even think McEachran got such praise after strolling it vs Marseille and Newcastle.

Yes he played well,  yes he got 2 assists but tougher tests will come for him and the other guys but its a good start.

We need to be wary with these guys theres still a long way for them to go although tonight was very promising. Gives Lampard food for thought though,  which I am sure he will appreciate knowning he can trust these guys in certain games if he needs to for rotations and suspensions.

I followed him when playing for Wigan already and i can not remember a 18/19 y.o. consistently outperforming the best 2nd division in the world. This match just showed he can also do it for Chelsea. So I only said if he continues his trajectory (no injuries etc) he will be world class, not that he will definitely become this way

39 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

People aren't kneejerking based on tonight, they are basing it on years of watching him.

43 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

He only got 1 assist. The supposedly first for Batshuayi took a deflection off a defender before reaching him.