Kepa Arrizabalaga

Jase

He is the biggest problem in our team. Whilst the defence, setup, etc must all take a share of the blame, a lot of the problems have to focus on Kepa.

As some have mentioned we've gone from being pretty efficient at defending set pieces to nearly the worst in the league over the last 2 years and much of the personnel haven't changed much except the goalkeeper. A dominant, commanding goalkeeper that's prepared to come for most balls that are in the imaginary square the width of the goalposts and the length of the goal line to the penalty spot would drastically improve this side to our game. At present there is such a lack of confidence in Kepa that we have to defend much deeper as he's incapable of coming for anything so the defence suddenly have to deal with a ball in or around our six yard box. In this situation it becomes much harder to expect a defender to be winning every header in this situation and even then, getting good enough contact to clear the danger fully. A better keeper allows a higher defensive line to stop that area of the box becoming crowded and a more confident defence knowing when to expect their keeper to be taking charge.

And all of the stats being bandied around highlight Kepa. Save ratio, expected goals against compared to actual goals against, etc. Like some have mentioned already, I worry about any team attacking us currently because I'm not confident that Kepa will save any shots on our goal. If us fans feel like that, the defence will feel the same way and it can't help but affect them. 

It's almost like playing Sunday League football and your keeper hasn't turned up so somebody else goes in goal that isn't comfortable playing there. It affects your own game and confidence because you're having to worry about compensating for a player that isn't good enough.

It's a damning indictment of how poor he's been, and it's going to be incredibly difficult to find some way of moving him on but we have to find some way. Everybody talks about how great Van Dijk is but I don't think Liverpool immediately improved a huge amount defensively at his arrival, it was when Alisson joined that everything clicked. A top quality keeper is an absolute must next season, in my opinion above anything else in the defence.

2 hours ago, OneMoSalah said:

Perhaps but again, it was basically unsaveable if you ask me.

This time maybe it was unsaveable, but when TAA shoots there's no way Kepa knows that. Some other time the shot could end up going way closer to the middle of goal and he ends up looking like an even bigger cunt if he doesn't try to save that either. The same way I blame him for that set-piece fuck up in added time even tho it didn't end up a goal this time.

One of the biggest sins for a goalkeeper is to not try. Trying to prevent the ball from going in the net is what the club are paying him £8M a year for fucks sake.

I somewhat agree with the rest of your reasoning tho. As isolated incidents a lot of the goals Kepa's conceded overall this season can't be blamed directly on him (so not direct errors like DDG vs Mount last weekend) and there's always someone in defense who's done a mistake to even let the opponent shoot but I don't think it's too much to ask him to save even some of them. Plenty of average keepers make world class saves on difficult shots every once in a while but Kepa doesn't really do that, does he?

It's unsaleable because of his shit positioning. He needs to be more central and he gives himself more of a chance.

That FK is far enough out to be able to react 'IF' the keepers starting position is correct, it wasn't and it went in.

His confidence is gone, unfortunately. According to stats he's 2 goals away from becoming the worst GK in Chelsea history. Maybe we'll be able to sign Oblak and send Kepa on loan the other way since there's no way they're gonna risk paying for hot poo just to explode in their faces.

He couldn't do much yesterday. Except maybe on the free kick, when he is was too far from his line. A world-class GK could have saved that one or at least try, instead he was completely static. And we bought him for a price that commands world-class ratings. It is not the case. A mitigating factor is his defense and mid-field, Rudiger was again absolutely nowhere yesterday, Jorginho unable to clear a corner, leading to another goal, Kovavic again making idiotic faults leading to free-kicks in dangerous areas, and Alonso that cannot defend. 

This debate cannot become Courtois fans versus Kepa fans.
Courtois was overall better because of his height but he too was a flop all things considered.
He was also lucky to be our goalie in two league winning seasons.
In the post Czech era I think Begovitch was better, but now we are in search of a keeper.

56 minutes ago, Kajo said:

His confidence is gone, unfortunately. 

and now go back to when he refused to get subbed where he had too much (?) confidence in himself...should have been punished more harshly after that incident.

feel bad for him, losing confidence is a rough thing, especially for keepers.

He's fortunate in all honesty that he was given a second chance after acting like a cunt in the cup final against City.

For me his performances this season have seen him cut his own throat in all honesty.

He will be gone.

1 hour ago, turgi said:

Considering the fee and his wage, he is probably the biggest flop in the history.

I thought so as well. 

But I think he still can have a resale value and all that stuff. 

Torres to me continues to be the biggest flop because of the money at that time. For inflation it would be higher and what we had to go through to try to get the best out of him.......

No one will ever come close to Torres! 

26 minutes ago, Tomo said:

https://mobile.twitter.com/AydenMalek/status/1286123653747310593

We're actually allowing less shots than some of the Chelsea teams of old (under Cech and Courtois) did.

Shocking. Need to take a massive loss on him and move on

I am not having any more of this nonsense about Kepa. The guy is 100% dog sh*t. No if, no buts. Dog sh*t. 

Yet again, we are having people say that all of the goals yesterday were not possible to save. At least two were for a decent level GK. The freekick goes in because of a combination of sh*t positioning, no anticipation and a lack of effort. I mean where exactly was he expecting him to put it? If TAA had put it in the corner like KdB then of course, no way to save it. That one went in about 0.5 meter from the post and half way up the goal. As for the 5th yet again, he gets a hand to something and yet again like the wimpy kid you put in goal when you're 10 years old because he is so crap, his wrist give way like a rent boys arse and in it goes. On the first, we yet again see the problem of having a funsized GK with t-rex arms (although this is not really his fault as he cannot do anything about it.) Then there is the constantly standing on his line like some sort of closet gimp on every single god damn ball into the box, looking like he is petrified of taking a knock.

Then lets get to the stats. He is minus 13 goals on an average (note average, not good/great) GK in the league; he has saved 5 out of 18 shots on target since the restart (of those 5 at least two were ones that just rolled to him); his save percentage is now about 52% across a whole fricking season; in one on one's his save rate is about 25% were an average (note average) GK's is 50%. His statistics place him somewhere between 145-152 out of 154 GK's in Europe. He has made something like 57 saves all season (again this includes ones that just roll/flick up at him); he has faced the third least amount of shots in the league.

Kepa is by far and away the worst waste of money buy ever. It is not even close. People mention Torres but he was a grafter and did a lot of work off the ball, Kepa essentially needs his defense to bail him out because if a shot goes in, it is virtually 50/50 whether he will save it which is utterly pathetic. 

He needs to never be seen in a Chelsea shirt again as you cannot carry a GK like you can a Bakayoko.