Kepa Arrizabalaga

Jase

He was quite decent vs City. But then again there was not a single save he made that I don’t expect an amateur keeper to make as well. His weird swinging arms technique, poor positioning and diving backwards style make every Routine save he makes look like a worldie. The free kick was obviously unstoppable, right in the top corner with more top spin on it than a Rafael Nadal forehand.
His only mistake was that lofted  pass he planted on Sterlings head. But keepers are encouraged to take risks so this happens even to Wc goalies like Ederson. 

3 minutes ago, Magic Lamps said:

His only mistake was that lofted  pass he planted on Sterlings head. But keepers are encouraged to take risks so this happens even to Wc goalies like Ederson. 

That's no excuse. Kepa is a good, maybe great goalkeeper in some parts of the game. But he lacks a lot of football intelligence, which is something i really care about in the contemporary game. He lacks more than i would expect for a £71m goalkeeper, which i can't blame him for ofcourse. Sometimes players want to prove themselves too bad, which leads to mistakes. The lofted pass you're talking about, was totally unnecesariliy, with hardly any pressure on him and Rudiger and Christensen next to him. I've said this before, goalkeepers in this era have to be more than just players that stop the opponent from scoring. If you know your shortcomings as a goalkeeper, you should keep it as clean and simple as possible. Football is simple, but simple football is difficult, Johan Cruijff once said.

On 27.6.2020 at 0:08 PM, Vincent said:

That's no excuse. Kepa is a good, maybe great goalkeeper in some parts of the game. But he lacks a lot of football intelligence, which is something i really care about in the contemporary game. He lacks more than i would expect for a £71m goalkeeper, which i can't blame him for ofcourse. Sometimes players want to prove themselves too bad, which leads to mistakes. The lofted pass you're talking about, was totally unnecesariliy, with hardly any pressure on him and Rudiger and Christensen next to him. I've said this before, goalkeepers in this era have to be more than just players that stop the opponent from scoring. If you know your shortcomings as a goalkeeper, you should keep it as clean and simple as possible. Football is simple, but simple football is difficult, Johan Cruijff once said.

What part of Kepas game is great? Surely not his passing.

He simply was a panic buy, a third choice attempt after Allison and Oblak opted against us. So we snapped and spent a fortune on a mediocre talent with mediocre potential. Now we are stuck with him. But two wrongs dont make a right. We should accept that loss and learn from it not to spent this much out of a position of weakness. If you have to decide between pest and cholera always pick cholera.

Honestly think he still can turn it around and his performances last season as well as parts of this one are proof that he isnt as bad as people are making him out to be.

I do get some will disagree and I do get he has made mistakes yes and in terms of his consistency he has struggled this season but out of our squad this season, who hasn't struggled for consistency? Who hasn't made mistakes? If we didnt make mistakes in games all across the team we would be better off than we are. Its not as if we were miles better last season in terms of what we had in the squad bar Eden. The fact that we have changed our CBs so often and LB as well this season just shows that there is nobody in the backline who has really got passmarks this season. 

Kepa is also unfortunate than Tibo and Cech before him were both top top level, world class goalkeepers during their spells here. He will always be compared against them or their reputations or it will always be his strengths aren't what theirs were etc. 

On 27/06/2020 at 11:08 AM, Vincent said:

He took a risk but if he pulled that pass off Alonso/Emerson (cannot remember who played think it was Marcos) would of had space to go into as opposed to if he played that slightly safer to one of the CBs, Sterling and Mahrez or whoever were wide would of been able to make it up and pressure them. The willingness of us playing out under pressure or against pressing teams really has dropped since Sarri left. I dont think it was a huge issue that pass, nothing came of it, sometimes Alisson or Ederson or De Gea take risks with their kicking etc too and for all the amazing passes or whatever they provide youll find there will similar ones that didnt come off or were recovered by the other team etc. Its not as if it was a bad idea because if the ball was a foot or 2 foot higher Alonso would of had it and we would of been in their half. 

He hasn't got a strength, he can't command his box, he's average with his feet and that fucking face he pulls when concedes a goal and looks at everyone else pisses me right off.
I've only just learnt from the last match not to take any notice of him after we concede. He appeals to the ref EVERY TIME HE CONCEDES.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk