Jump to content
Join Talk Chelsea and join in with the discussions! Click Here

1. Kepa Arrizabalaga


Jase
 Share
Followers 6

Recommended Posts

On 23/09/2019 at 10:43 AM, Johnnyeye said:

i was just thinking that we lack that dominant type of GK since Cech left, i agree on the playing out from the back bit, to me its always an error waiting to happen, im not totally ok with it, but it has its advantages. I also agree with you that Kepa doesnt command the area as much as he should, that is one of the main traits of a top GK, it also helps the defense to have more calm and control of procedings, i hope it can get better with time. Cheers

Courtois was far better in the air that post-injury Cech, but I 100% accept your point. Kepa just isn't confident going to attack the ball, but this is a general "trend" for goalkeepers coming from the continent (and Spain in particular). I don't think it is so much to do with height as it is with confidence. De Gea was probably even more hopeless in the air than Kepa is;  he then dedicated time to working on this and it became a strength of his game. It is naturally easier for taller goalkeepers, but you can look at the likes of Gregory Coupet in past years and Jan Oblak in the present as keepers who, despite not being the tallest, were supreme in the air. It's a weakness of his game but I do think it is exploited with the zonal marking system we play; it's almost as if he doesn't have the authority to go and attack the ball. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cannot be blamed for anything at all, anyone says differently they need their head examining,. 

When Kepa's family moving to London, We want his whole family here including his grandma.

He's freaking brilliant. Makes me not even remember a great keeper like Courtois left us. He's that good. His distribution is a million times better than Courtois' mediocre distribution plus he's an e

Posted Images

4 hours ago, BlueLion. said:

Courtois was far better in the air that post-injury Cech, but I 100% accept your point. Kepa just isn't confident going to attack the ball, but this is a general "trend" for goalkeepers coming from the continent (and Spain in particular). I don't think it is so much to do with height as it is with confidence. De Gea was probably even more hopeless in the air than Kepa is;  he then dedicated time to working on this and it became a strength of his game. It is naturally easier for taller goalkeepers, but you can look at the likes of Gregory Coupet in past years and Jan Oblak in the present as keepers who, despite not being the tallest, were supreme in the air. It's a weakness of his game but I do think it is exploited with the zonal marking system we play; it's almost as if he doesn't have the authority to go and attack the ball. 

you are right about Courtois, and you're very spot on your analysis, it will take time for Kepa to work on this aspect of his game, lets hope it gets better. Cheers

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Lampard on Kepa...

In the lack of clean sheets, to get one the person I was most happy for was Kepa He is very determined and wants to improve. Clean sheets are not just his responsibility, but he has worked to improve. In his role he can maybe become a bit more vocal and that is part of the process as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Jason said:

Lampard on Kepa...

 

 

Lampard actually praised Kepa a lot more than the shortened quote suggested...

https://www.chelseafc.com/en/news/2019/10/01/frank-lampard-updates-on-n-golo-kante--accepts-ross-barkley-apol

“After the clean sheet on Saturday, the person I was happiest for was Kepa. Even though it’s a team issue, goalkeepers pride themselves on clean sheets. One of the things I have seen since working with Kepa is that he is a very determined individual, he wants to improve every day. He is very focused and I love that.

“His confidence shouldn’t go down. The clean sheets are not always his own responsibility, but also when he thinks they might have been his responsibility, he is very open to accept that fact and work to improve. I have been really impressed with him. He’s managed to become Spain’s number one which when you think about who he’s competing with at that level is very serious.

“He is a great age for us in terms of where he’s at in his career. He grew as last season went on to help Chelsea win games, and I think he is growing again now. I am very happy with him as a player. If anything I can say in his role and his status within the group, he can become a bit more vocal because that’s what great goalkeepers do.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, LAM09 said:

I thought he was MOTM. Could have easily conceded a few if it wasn't for him bailing out Zouma or Tomori at the death.

He, MAYBE, should have done better for Lille's goal but otherwise, yeah, he played the sweeper keeper role very well. Timing and decision making were spot on. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Jason said:

He, MAYBE, should have done better for Lille's goal but otherwise, yeah, he played the sweeper keeper role very well. Timing and decision making were spot on. 

Absolute no chance with their goal at all, it was point blank and headed down, the worst type of header to deal with for a keeper.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Special Juan said:

Absolute no chance with their goal at all, it was point blank and headed down, the worst type of header to deal with for a keeper.

Hence why I put 'MAYBE' in capital letters. :P 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Jason said:

Hence why I put 'MAYBE' in capital letters. :P 

I know that but 'MAYBE' doesn't come into it for me mate. I coach keepers from under 8's to under 16's and it's the type of thing to leave them sleepless at night.

A point blank header, from close range and headed down is massively difficult. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Special Juan said:

I know that but 'MAYBE' doesn't come into it for me mate. I coach keepers from under 8's to under 16's and it's the type of thing to leave them sleepless at night.

A point blank header, from close range and headed down is massively difficult. 

You're no fun!

Link to post
Share on other sites
He, MAYBE, should have done better for Lille's goal but otherwise, yeah, he played the sweeper keeper role very well. Timing and decision making were spot on. 

Lol!   

 

 

Was going to mention that, but I remembered someone coming to his defence against Valencia. [emoji57]

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/10/2019 at 2:33 AM, LAM09 said:

I thought he was MOTM. Could have easily conceded a few if it wasn't for him bailing out Zouma or Tomori at the death.

Think he is having a good time now, even in Bucharest for Romania v Spain some weeks ago he had a worldie save in the last minute of the game, he basically handed Spain the win that night with that amazing reflex. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, LAM09 said:

Lol!   

Was going to mention that, but I remembered someone coming to his defence against Valencia. emoji57.png

I stand by what I said then. Thought he maybe could have done better on Wednesday but got shut down by someone else. So...

giphy.gif

Link to post
Share on other sites

A playing manager last season, a free kick taker this season. What's next for the following season? With Abramovich not eligible to enter the country, you know what's next :cig:

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...