Kepa Arrizabalaga

Jase

1 hour ago, mccg said:

Video: ‘Your keeper could never’ – These fans react to Kepa’s impressive skills for Chelsea

https://www.caughtoffside.com/2019/02/03/video-your-keeper-could-never-these-fans-react-to-kepas-impressive-skills-for-chelsea/

Nice to see the lads taking and giving compliments!

Kepa Arrizabalaga: Chelsea’s Basque custodian

https://footballbh.net/2019/02/04/kepa-arrizabalaga-chelsea-tactical-analysis-statistics/

Kepa Arrizabalaga has been a calming presence between the posts for Chelsea. Unfazed by the weight of his transfer fee and replacing Thibaut Courtois, the Spanish custodian maintains his steady improvement.

Much had been made of how Chelsea made an unproven 23-year-old the most expensive goalkeeper in history. His £71.6million fee surpassed the £56million set by Alisson‘s transfer to Liverpool a few weeks earlier. Our tactical analysis looks at his performances compared to rival ‘keepers and how he has taken to English football.

On signing for Chelsea, Kepa Arrizabalaga was revealed to be a calm goalkeeper whose maturity belied his young age. His shot-stopping ability compared encouragingly to Courtois’ and his passing ability shows he fit right into the high-possession system. He can distribute passes over long and short distances and would not hesitate to rush out to mop up any loose balls, maintaining his team’s build-up from the back.

kepa-arrizabalaga-chelsea-tactical-analysis-statistics

snip

• 2 weeks later...

I am sorry but he is a bang average keeper. I can think of at least 3 that he has let in, one on ones, where he has made up his mind to stand flat footed, look exasperated and hold his hands in despair to blame the defence -without even attempting to make a save. 

The sort of dramatics you do in school.

3 minutes ago, Fulham Broadway said:

I am sorry but he is a bang average keeper. I can think of at least 3 that he has let in, one on ones, where he has made up his mind to stand flat footed, look exasperated and hold his hands in despair to blame the defence -without even attempting to make a save. 

he did do poorly with that last goal, I admit

the entire team is tanking:(

1 hour ago, Fulham Broadway said:

When your defence is as shit as ours, and the team is performing as poorly as it is, it's no wonder he's taken a dip with his own personal performances.

8 minutes ago, BlueLion. said:

When your defence is as shit as ours, and the team is performing as poorly as it is, it's no wonder he's taken a dip with his own personal performances.

Hmm while that can indeed negatively affect confidence, many GK have thrived and used the team in poor form to do really well and catch the attention of bigger clubs. I'm sure Kepa himself had such opportunity playing for a smaller team in Spain and attracting a Chelsea.

Goes both ways too: perhaps the defense is not confident with their goalie either.

I don't like his GK style and think he's too short for a top GK. Wish we had gone a diff direction, but oh well. Now I hope he improves.

Just now, Robchels said:

Hmm while that can indeed negatively affect confidence, many GK have thrived and used the team in poor form to do really well and catch the attention of bigger clubs. I'm sure Kepa himself had such opportunity playing for a smaller team in Spain and attracting a Chelsea.

Goes both ways too: perhaps the defense is not confident with their goalie either.

I'm not defending him massively... he was at fault for the second goal and as a keeper myself (who isn't the tallest, either), I'd have certainly tried to attack the cross for Herrera's goal. 

He's had some excellent moments for us, and they far outweigh the negative, but he has been shaky the past few months. Who wouldn't be after the stuffings we've suffered recently? 

He is still young for a keeper and can improve. you can see that he has potential. He would be the last to blame for the defeat today albeit he definitely needs stronger wrists and more of an attitude with regards to those unsaveables. Petr cech would throw himself after any ball even the most ludicrous ones and by doing so made some impossible saves. That is how you get better.