Kepa Arrizabalaga

Jase

12 hours ago, Artandur said:

Surprised nobody is talking about him after yesterday. Think he had his most impressive game for us so far.

He did have an impressive game. At the same time a taller gk, like tibo, migh have stopped the equalizer.

Well he’s our gk now with strengths and weaknesses.

24 minutes ago, Robguima said:

At the same time a taller gk, like tibo, migh have stopped the equalizer.

Not really ... how many such saves has Tibo made while he was here (I cant remember even one) ... it comes down to the timing of the leap, Kepa could have done it if it was a second quicker ... but wouldnt criticize Kepa on this. It was a near perfect shot and he still managed a touch.  

To be fair, I think he didn't get the chance to prove his qualities. Even if our defence was shaky at times, the opponents didn't get too many scoring oportunites. And the goals that Kepa conceded were mostly impossible to avoid. I think he was a bit at fault against Arsenal, but cannot think of anything other than that.

Regarding the game against Liverpool, I don't think he could've saved that shot, yet I would like to point out the good job that he did with closing Salah's angle in the first half, when Rudiger got that goal line clearance. Kepa's contribution was essential, as he made it very difficult for the Egyptian to get a powerful and precise shot.

He's a good keeper and I am sure he will get even better as time passes. 

10 hours ago, Robguima said:

He did have an impressive game. At the same time a taller gk, like tibo, migh have stopped the equalizer.

Well he’s our gk now with strengths and weaknesses.

On the other hand, had Courtois still been our keeper, he would have probably tripped Salah and gotten a red card in that Rudiger off-the-line clearance incident (Courtois always has a random knack of making a rash decision and getting sent off). OR remember that near post by Kepa at West Ham? Courtois would have easily conceded that!

I like the lad alot so far.

Quality wise, Tibo was good, but there was always something in air not right about him, you could never imagine him being a legend here tbh. 

Early days for Kepa, but he definately has a potential to become our legend in the future. He has proper character and I love that about the players.

24 minutes ago, BlueLyon said:

I like the lad alot so far.

Quality wise, Tibo was good, but there was always something in air not right about him, you could never imagine him being a legend here tbh. 

Early days for Kepa, but he definately has a potential to become our legend in the future. He has proper character and I love that about the players.

Speaking about character, I would question whether Kepa is strong enough to command the players when needed in matches. It's still early days for him with the team and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now but he had that mix-up moment with Christensen in the first half against Videoton and there was barely any reaction from him (or Christensen). Not saying he (or both) should have started shouting like a mad man but there didn't seem to be any communication to make sure things like that do not happen again. 

22 minutes ago, Jason said:

Speaking about character, I would question whether Kepa is strong enough to command the players when needed in matches. It's still early days for him with the team and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now but he had that mix-up moment with Christensen in the first half against Videoton and there was barely any reaction from him (or Christensen). Not saying he (or both) should have started shouting like a mad man but there didn't seem to be any communication to make sure things like that do not happen again. 

IMO its just his development. He has been here for few months and is still a kid himself. Im sure he will get better with time. For now I totaly understand he wont be the most vocal person on field. But he is calm which is important. 

He came for record fee and tbh he is handling that tag brilliantly, I thought the pressure will get to him, but he was ice cold since that first interview when he signed. 

I just have good feeling about him. Coming from smaller club, the fee we paid for him, and that giant contract he was willing to sign give me alot of optimism he will stick here for the long run because he wants to and respects the lenghts the club went to sign him.

Thats completely opposite to Tibo, his success in Madrid and family had set him to return there one day, despite Chelsea giving everything to accomodate him. 

Tibo came (or say returned) here as a star while Kepa is star in the making and if we are the ones to develop him, he will be alot more loyal. Thats why its always better to sign players from good, but not best teams. Torres, Sheva, Morata,...they were already Pool, Milano, Madrid bound. There are rare situations when players coming from big teams overcome their former team and become fan favourites like Makelele or Ashley Cole.

Im sure Kepa will always have Bilbao in his heart, but he never had a connection to a big club before. Chelsea could be one and thats why I have good feeling about him, if he continues to improve as GK, Im certain he will end up as one of the Chelsea next generation greats :)

11 minutes ago, El P. said:

I really liked him too, he is showing great signs. But man oh man, I wish he could grow a beard or something...

It would impede with his aerodynamics, he should continue repping all non beard growing men. :D

Made good saves, distributed it well but his decision making from off the line needs to improve. The mix up with AC was a good example, he needs to command that situation, but apart from that he's been good since arriving.