Just now, Jason said:

I am oki with this

I think he will be better this coming season

not going to hate on this

now

even with Dasilva being sold

all I want

is Alonso sold

I can live with anything else (as long as Lamps is indeed signed)

I do not care if we use bloody Baba or even Kenedy or Familia-Castillo as Emerson's back-up

just take the £40-£45m or so for Alonso and GET HIM OUT

which I know is never going to happen:(

I have never seen a worse fullback with such gaudy goal and assist stats (although most were as a wingback)

MAYBE Lamps might use him as a wingback again in a tactical formation-shift game

his attitude too was just SHIT

he was hungry and a team player right up until we IDIOTICALLY gave him that monster new contract

he is so so so lazy and spoilt

Alonso is one of the very few Chels players I went from adoring to hating

it's a personal weakness I need to work on

13 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Would seem strange with Lamps coming in to retain Kova. You would think he'd want to integrate Mount but maybe he'll go on loan again? When RLC returns we'll have he, Barkley, and Kova all gunning for that AM spot. Where would Mount find playing time?

I would've preferred we just let Kovacic go and use Mount as a direct replacement. He couldn't be worse in terms of output and the manager would know his game inside and out.

I imagine Kovacic will be cover for Jorginho and Kante.

17 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Would seem strange with Lamps coming in to retain Kova. You would think he'd want to integrate Mount but maybe he'll go on loan again? When RLC returns we'll have he, Barkley, and Kova all gunning for that AM spot. Where would Mount find playing time?

I would've preferred we just let Kovacic go and use Mount as a direct replacement. He couldn't be worse in terms of output and the manager would know his game inside and out.

Since we need squad depth, this 6 for 3 midfield positions don't look too bad...

Jorginho
Kovacic
Kante
Loftus-Cheek
Barkley
Mount

That's assuming we ditch Drinkwater and Bakayoko!

I will decide on whether he's a good signing when we know what Frank is doing with him.

If he's going to play him LCM/CAM then he will be a waste. If he's going to be cover for Jorginho and Kante at DLP and RCM he will be a good signing. If Frank's going to a double pivot this could be a masterstroke, it plays to all of his major strengths and nullify's his weaknesses.

8 hours ago, Tomo said:

I will decide on whether he's a good signing when we know what Frank is doing with him.

If he's going to play him LCM/CAM then he will be a waste. If he's going to be cover for Jorginho and Kante at DLP and RCM he will be a good signing. If Frank's going to a double pivot this could be a masterstroke, it plays to all of his major strengths and nullify's his weaknesses.

Completely agree, he wasn't used effectively under Sarri last season because he's not an offensive midfielder. 

If Kovacic isn't brought then our backup options to Jorginho and Kante look to be Baka and Drinkwater, Mount and Barkley are too offensive minded to play those positions and RLC will be out for months.

As @Tomo has said, a double pivot would likely bring out the best in him, we already know how good Kante is in a midfield 2 and I think Jorginho would also thrive in such a formation.

If we can flip Bakayoko and it covers most or all of the Kovacic fee then that is a big upgrade in my opinion. The club could even try to get rid of both Bakayoko and Drinkwater and look to the academy for someone to be 4th choice for that midfield pivot too.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

To further add remember our pivot problems of early this decade? We would have killed for even one player of the quality of Kante, Jorginho or Kovacic at that time (Lamps was well past his best and while Rami had his uses controlling games wasn't one of them).

Exactly what I was thinking. Our pivot in those years around 2011-13 was simply dreadful. Jorginho, Kante and Kovacic are all exactly the kind of players the fans were begging for back then

With Kovacic coming back, any idea where this leaves us with regards to non-homegrown spots in the squad? 

Pulisic will need to be registered in the Champions League (but not for the Premier League) as I understand so will effectively take Hazard's place, which means I'm guessing we'll have just Higuain's spot to fill for the Champions League and two spots available for the Premier League.

It means there will have to be some players being moved on or not coming back from the likes of Zouma, Bakayoko, Batshuayi, Morata, etc.

32 minutes ago, 1905didierblue said:

People trying to convince themselves that this is a good buy by comparing it to our worst midfield phase in the last 20 years. :dunno:

Well done for completely taking what I said away from any means of context.