Mateo Kovacic

Unionjack

Especially hoping he can make that left side of our MF 3 his own. As much as I think Barkley has got fitter than hes ever been (so he says) and deserves a chance there is no comparison when you talk about genuine ability, its like chalk and cheese, honestly haven't been as excited about a player since the likes of Mata and Hazard.

Great cameo. Few bits where he looked rusty maybe but everything else, you can see his technique, how comfortable he is defending, dribbling past folk etc. Big player for us when he gets upto speed a bit more because he can't be fully 100% in the tank yet. 

15 minutes ago, OneMoSalah said:

Great cameo. Few bits where he looked rusty maybe but everything else, you can see his technique, how comfortable he is defending, dribbling past folk etc. Big player for us when he gets upto speed a bit more because he can't be fully 100% in the tank yet. 

Still early days but already looks better defensively from a tactical POV than Barkley and his introduction helped us to totally control the last 30 minutes. 

14 minutes ago, Jason said:

Still early days but already looks better defensively from a tactical POV than Barkley and his introduction helped us to totally control the last 30 minutes. 

Yeah good point about his defensive contributions.

Played a lot as DM for Madrid.

29 minutes ago, Jason said:

Thats the surprise to me. He by far better than Barkley technically but he is still better defensively. 

3 hours ago, kellzfresh said:

Thats the surprise to me. He by far better than Barkley technically but he is still better defensively. 

It really shouldn't be surprising, Kovacic is a proper central midfielder/#8, while Barkley has long played as a advanced attacking midfielder or forward.

Kovacic can probably all 3 midfield role at a high level.  

This is a translation that I stole from Reddit (maybe one of our Croatian speaking members can verify?)

Between this, and his social media post, he doesn't sound like a loan player

Q: As far as we've seen from the stands you can be pleased about the performance, can you tell us a bit more how it looks on the field in a new club, new environment, new league etc...?

A: First of all im happy about the win and that's the most important thing, it's good that the team is playing well so it's easy to adapt but i'm still out of rhytm since i've just joined the squad, but im working well and i'm improving and that's what matters.

Q:From what we've seen for this 30 minutes, not enough for a clear picture but there will be more opportunities, looks like you have took your chance and you are very useful player otherwise they wouldn't bring you here.

A: Well yeah, first of all it was important that after 3 years of inconsistency in playing time in Madrid i've got into a team that wants me and a coach that wants and trust me, that's how Chelsea happened. That's what i really need now, as i said earlier im feeling really good and i want to keep it that way.

Q: Seems that your link with Sarri is really good?

A: Well yeah, he knows me for a long time, i've watched a lot of his games, he likes to play and that's what matters imo. The squad is phenomenal with many great players that's why it wasn't so hard to adapt quick.

Q:Season won't be so easy, but Chelsea always aim for the top. How do you see it from your point of view and what's the difference between Spain and England?

A:Well, the tempo is higher, there is more space, but as i said it's not hard to adapt when you are surrounded by great players. I would thank to all fans that support me and i will make sure i payback on the pitch.

Q: Mateo good luck and i wish you many successful moments in a new club.

A: God bless

Edit:  Oops, sorry @Jason, I didn't see your post