Mateo Kovacic

Unionjack

Just now, DDA said:

I want RLC to succeed and I think the signing of Kovacic for a year will not stunt his growth at all. There are a lot of games in the season and we needed quality of depth badly. We now have that in midfield. This makes us stronger. Bakayoko made us weaker. 

I understand, but Bakayoko is still here. We should've already handled his situation and sent him on loan or sold him. Instead, we are planning to play a foreign player while our investment of 40mil sits on the bench (if he makes the bench). Bad.

Just now, DDA said:

I want RLC to succeed and I think the signing of Kovacic for a year will not stunt his growth at all. There are a lot of games in the season and we needed quality of depth badly. We now have that in midfield. This makes us stronger. Bakayoko made us weaker. 

Thing what people are not realising here is we have a new manager and a new style of play to adapt to, for that to happen quickly and with as little teething problems as possible, we need these players that are more developed to it, we can't be developing players and a new style to the team at the same time, while I can see why that would make sense, I think it's too risky.

The club has learnt from last summer.

We could have taken £70-80m and spread it over a new keeper and midfielder and perhaps got something like Butland/Schmeichel and Vecino.

Instead for a similar outlay we have got Kepa and Kovacic which is significantly better than the above. 

Next summer if Kovacic then needs replacing either (1) Sarri has had a good look or coached the likes of Barkley and RLC to play more prominent roles, (2) We have a new summer budget with which to buy a top midfielder or buy Kovacic permanently.

11 minutes ago, termninja said:

I understand, but Bakayoko is still here. We should've already handled his situation and sent him on loan or sold him. Instead, we are planning to play a foreign player while our investment of 40mil sits on the bench (if he makes the bench). Bad.

Only the prem window closes today, Serie A is open until end of the month. Chelsea are focusing their time right now on incoming as the window closes in 90 mins. Bakayoko can complete his loan to AC milan any day between now and the end of the month. Same for any other loanees who might be going outside of the prem.

51 minutes ago, termninja said:

I would prefer us to play RLC, an England international, our academy product and actually a promising player. We have invested millions in developing youth and then we bring a young player from Real Madrid on loan to train him for them. Then next season, we lose RLC (obviously he can't wait half his life to get a chance here) and Kovacic, leaving us with Bakayoko and Drinkwater only, and look we must spend ton of money again on midfield.

We invested in the wrong lad then cause right now hes not Chelsea standard.

You would expect that loaning him to a lower grade team he would stand out but he never set the world on fire.

Him playing for England isnt about how good HE is. Its about how few options there is for his position.

I dont want to slag him off because it would be amazing of course if he did come good. But I cant see it in a Sarri system.

This is where I feel the board's inefficiency by not putting a buy back (hoping it is there & we arent knowing abt it)  ... Kovacic would surely get more game time here than Madrid ... if he lives up to the expectation he goes back to Madrid next season to replace Modric if not Chelsea will buy him. We are basically giving him a platform to justify him as a player and if he succeeds then Madrid takes him away. 

5 hours ago, DYC. said:

As for Kovacic, very talented but unproven. I can only hope he hits the ground running because there's no time to adapt with this deal. I am looking forward to the prospect of this new midfield though. Games in 18/19 shouldn't be as painfully dull as they were in 17/18 .

Yup if this is indeed just a one year loan deal, he doesn't have much time to adapt or find his feet. When given the opportunity he has to play good and make an impact immediately. If he struggles initially, he may find himself on the bench and we may see very little of him. 

So this could go either way, either he is too good not to play and the team benefit a lot, or he could be ridding the bench on the entirety of this loan. 

But i don't see this being a one year loan only, he basically did the same thing as Tibo to force a move he went awol. Can't see Kova wanting to go back to Madrid. I think Madrid priced Kova too high, they wanted 80m. They decided on a loan and maybe there is arrangement in place for a sale. 

Welcome to Chelsea Football Club Kovacic, so glad to have a player of his ability here, we've been crying for a player like this for so long, eventough its only on a season long loan, i have faith he will give us that extra edge in midfield ala Modric, and with Sarri's system in place it will do wonders for Kovacic confidence and development. We'll see how it goes and who knows? maybe we can get him on a permanent basis when the time comes. KTBFFH ;)