Mateo Kovacic

Unionjack

The loan or if we keep him next year should be irrelevant right now, what's important is that Sarri is confident in the team he has to play the way he wants, he said since he came in (after Jorginho) that he needed a midfielder with different characteristics, well here he is.

What we don't want is to go in the season with regrets that we didn't come close to getting what he wanted.. we all know what happens in that case, we try to play attractive football and end up looking really sloppy, pull the plug on the manager and get some stubborn manager who sets up to not lose 3-0.

What we needed was to do whatever it took to allow Sarri to adapt his system as soon as possible, next year if we have a decent season, make top 4 while playing anything close to the way City do, i'm sure we will be a more interesting prospect for players. 

1 hour ago, Clockwork said:

Yup if this is indeed just a one year loan deal, he doesn't have much time to adapt or find his feet. When given the opportunity he has to play good and make an impact immediately. If he struggles initially, he may find himself on the bench and we may see very little of him. 

So this could go either way, either he is too good not to play and the team benefit a lot, or he could be ridding the bench on the entirety of this loan. 

But i don't see this being a one year loan only, he basically did the same thing as Tibo to force a move he went awol. Can't see Kova wanting to go back to Madrid. I think Madrid priced Kova too high, they wanted 80m. They decided on a loan and maybe there is arrangement in place for a sale. 

Nahh, there is too much money involved for some kind of (verbal) understanding. This is business. Any deal is on paper. And like the Rodriguez to Bayern deal, we'd know about the clause and sum involved to sign him if there was one.

The better he plays the higher his fee will be in 2019, if they decide to sell him at all, and the more interest he draws. If he produces a stellar season, you can bet the financial elite will be at Real's door as well.

2 hours ago, coolhead23 said:

This is where I feel the board's inefficiency by not putting a buy back (hoping it is there & we arent knowing abt it)  ... Kovacic would surely get more game time here than Madrid ... if he lives up to the expectation he goes back to Madrid next season to replace Modric if not Chelsea will buy him. We are basically giving him a platform to justify him as a player and if he succeeds then Madrid takes him away. 

It would not be a buy back, it would be an option to buy. I so hope it is in there. I feel we are simply training Modric's replacement otherwise.

14 minutes ago, Vesper said:

It would not be a buy back, it would be an option to buy. I so hope it is in there. I feel we are simply training Modric's replacement otherwise.

It’s not like we aren’t getting the benefit of having him here is it. Plus look at the hypocrisy of Chelsea fans. Think of the thousands of teams we loan players to.

Said this earlier but at the back of this loan we could be creating a partnership for Real Madrid next year, if Kovacic and Hazard develop an understanding together and both left us for Real next year it would be devastating. For sure Real Madrid are going to be paying close attention to these 2 I think.

For now, all we can do is hope to enjoy them for this season and worry about it next year, what is important right now is we get back where we belong in champions leaguwe and Kovacic will certainly help do that. 

Yeah, I'm not bothered about the inclusion of an option to buy or not. Why worry about something that is completely out of your control?

All I hope for is he kills it here and falls in love with the Chelsea experience, and Chels make a permanent move happen in 2019. If not, I hope Chels get a good replacement when he leaves. Simple.

2 minutes ago, Polo7 said:

It’s not like we aren’t getting the benefit of having him here is it. Plus look at the hypocrisy of Chelsea fans. Think of the thousands of teams we loan players to.

Unless they are truly young stars (think CHO/Ampadu level) I doubt we would NOT sell to a team if they met our price. Until he he ripped up his knee, van Ginkel was on the verge of having PSV ( a really great mid-size club all round) scrape up the quid to buy him outright. He was a holy terror in the Eredivisie the last 2 and a half years (29 goals, 17 assists, in 56 league games). He even replaced Luuk de Jong as captain of PSV as a loanee, That's how much they thought of him

1 hour ago, kellzfresh said:

rDoABwR0sostmnyyI_hvdSI8QFfSj37btZB0_uZpQ5U.jpg?fit=crop&crop=faces%2Centropy&arh=2&w=960&s=12847c408dcb9b3c31201e440e376468

Old friends reunite. If Morata convinces Kovacic to stay here, he becomes an automatic legend and we can forget about all his slip ups...

I know I am a nutter for holding out hope, but dammit I want Morata to come good in a huge way.:( He needs to have aggression-implanting hypnotherapy.

6 minutes ago, Vesper said:

I know I am a nutter for holding out hope, but dammit I want Morata to come good in a huge way.:( He needs to have aggression-implanting hypnotherapy.

Or a good line of coke! 5f555e75fee53b319bf1203d0c0e1a47.gif

1 hour ago, Vesper said:

I know people here liked costa style, but this idea that good or even great strikers need to be aggressive is simply false.

the best strikers I’ve seen play the game were so cold that some did not even celebrate goals very much (Romario, r9). Aguero is pretty cold too.

and Lukaku who people compare with morata pretty much walks around without the football.