Mateo Kovacic

Unionjack

As much as I like the player, I feel this deal makes us look like a small club. Which big club loans a player and doesn't include any option to buy. Even if we benefit from having the player for a year. If his career is rejuvenated and he plays at an excellent level, all we would be doing is develop him for Real Madrid who takes him back next summer and could still come back for our best player. The real winner here is them I fear.

8 minutes ago, Rapkun said:

As much as I like the player, I feel this deal makes us look like a small club. Which big club loans a player and doesn't include any option to buy. Even if we benefit from having the player for a year. If his career is rejuvenated and he plays at an excellent level, all we would be doing is develop him for Real Madrid who takes him back next summer and could still come back for our best player. The real winner here is them I fear.

It does give us a year to look for the right player.  Maybe we can negotiate a fee with Madrid during the course of the year.  An option to buy would have been best.  Bayern did it with James, and with Coman.  Shame we couldn't do the same.  

But, he has to give a shit if he wants more time at Madrid, which works for us.  It's also an upgrade for us now.  It's better than buying some crap for 40M, for sure.  Maybe Barkley or RLC take to the role and we don't need anyone next season.  It keeps our options open.  Though if we had a buy clause, it would open our options up even more.

I think Real are hesitant to sell since they don't know Modric's situation right now.

Lopetegui: "Si se va Kovacic habrá que buscar un jugador de su nivel, que es un grandísimo jugador".

Lopetegui: "If Kovacic leaves we will have to find another great player of his level".

Doesn't sound like only a loan by that statement.

12 minutes ago, laeth said:

Lopetegui: "Si se va Kovacic habrá que buscar un jugador de su nivel, que es un grandísimo jugador".

Lopetegui: "If Kovacic leaves we will have to find another great player of his level".

Doesn't sound like only a loan by that statement.

I don't where you guys get the loan option without buying...almost all Spanish media reckon it is loan with option to buy...and I can't wrap my head around the fact that Marina will strike such a deal...anyway either buy or not...what a great player to have 

15 minutes ago, Iggy Doonican said:

Why not because she's a woman?. If this bloke comes you'll say well done Marina but through gritted teeth ?. 

I dont like the chick myself. It comes across to me like shes trying too hard to have bigger balls than the men.

She seems to want to squeeze every £ out of every deal she makes and it means theres times we lose sales both inxoming and outgoing.

The £65mill /offer for Willian to Barca early on. She wanted £70. Plain daft. We could have bought ourselves a good upgrade and carried on checking out other positions. Arguing over Sarris and Contes contracts which dragged on far too long. Could have just paid them off early but now we will have a court battlr with Conte and probably end up paying out of court more than his buyout would have beem.

Unless of course there was any chance thay she had talked to Manure about the Martial swap.

Theres been a couple of times Uve thought great work. When we have gone into the window early with a firm view of what we needed. Like the Diego.Cescy deal and of course Kante. But I hardly ever see a real plan of action. And as she is the focus and Romans eyes.ears and mouth its down to her in the end.

58 minutes ago, eemanyooel said:

I don't where you guys get the loan option without buying...almost all Spanish media reckon it is loan with option to buy...and I can't wrap my head around the fact that Marina will strike such a deal...anyway either buy or not...what a great player to have 

The Guardian:  https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/aug/07/chelsea-kepa-arrizabalaga-athletic-bilbao-record

The Spanish club [Madrid] have offered the unsettled Croatia midfielder as a sweetener to ensure their pursuit of Courtois reaches a positive conclusion. Kovacic has made clear a desire to play more regularly and will be permitted to leave for the season. Chelsea would not have an option to make the move permanent next summer, with Real considering him a long-term successor for his compatriot, Luka Modric. That deal, too, could be confirmed on Wednesday.

53 minutes ago, eemanyooel said:

I mean striking the loan without option deal...

No one actually knows what the deal is yet... fact is we need him now gives us a year to find a replacement or if he likes it here he may ask for the move himself, stop putting downers on everything (not you in particular) moan when we dont sign ppl and ppl moan when we do ffs.

Our midfield would be completely sorted for years and years if we managed a buy option. All 3 of Jorginho, Kante, and Kovacic are at the perfect age. All 3 of Cesc, DD, and Bakayoko will likely be moved on next summer which will mean more minutes for Barkley and RLC assuming he isn't sold by then.

I agree with others saying it would be very strange from our point of view to take someone on loan without the buy option. Doesn't seem like something we'd sanction at all.

11 minutes ago, Pizy said:

Our midfield would be completely sorted for years and years if we managed a buy option. All 3 of Jorginho, Kante, and Kovacic are at the perfect age. All 3 of Cesc, DD, and Bakayoko will likely be moved on next summer which will mean more minutes for Barkley and RLC assuming he isn't sold by then.

I agree with others saying it would be very strange from our point of view to take someone on loan without the buy option. Doesn't seem like something we'd sanction at all.

Maybe he will be included in the deal next summer if Hazard is sold to Real

One more thing - he could play at DMF role sometimes, if Jorgi is not available. He is not optimal there, but still a lot better than Fabregas. So, we could play Kovačić - Kante - Barkley / RLC, why not? We have EPL, CC, FAC, EL to play, there will be chances for all. We just need to offload Drinkayoko.

Barkley or RLC could also fill sometimes at "wingers" positions, being false wingers. Both have enough speed to play that and have played that in past.

30 minutes ago, BluesMadLad said:

No one actually knows what the deal is yet... fact is we need him now gives us a year to find a replacement or if he likes it here he may ask for the move himself, stop putting downers on everything (not you in particular) moan when we dont sign ppl and ppl moan when we do ffs.

So explaining details of a deal means moaning?