Sarri But Not Sarri Thread

34 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Looking with (extreme) hindsight you have to wonder if Jose leaving the first time was even a mistake. We defended a lot better but the attack was everybit as disjointed and clueless as the one he left in 2015, we all assumed he would have turned it around because well he's Mourinho, but looking how he's dealt with crisis periods since, could things have actually got worse? 

It's funny, the "Roman has an itchy trigger finger" is in part because of sacking Jose.  It started there.  Now that Mourinho has been around the block (and back) the narrative surrounding him is that he falls out with the club and/or players after a few seasons.  However, it hasn't changed the narrative that Roman is quick to pull the trigger on a manager.

The press always like to make a list (and they are careful to word it) of managers that Roman has hired and they always include the interim ones.  Those guys were never fired, they fulfilled their contracts and a permanent manager was installed.  Everyone except DiMateo, but he was always supposed to be an interim.  They had to give him the full time job after winning the CL, but everyone knew he was out of his depth.

12 minutes ago, Sideshow Luiz said:

It's funny, the "Roman has an itchy trigger finger" is in part because of sacking Jose.  It started there.  Now that Mourinho has been around the block (and back) the narrative surrounding him is that he falls out with the club and/or players after a few seasons.  However, it hasn't changed the narrative that Roman is quick to pull the trigger on a manager.

The press always like to make a list (and they are careful to word it) of managers that Roman has hired and they always include the interim ones.  Those guys were never fired, they fulfilled their contracts and a permanent manager was installed.  Everyone except DiMateo, but he was always supposed to be an interim.  They had to give him the full time job after winning the CL, but everyone knew he was out of his depth.

They never seem to mention that other clubs namely Arsenal and post Fergie United have shown the perils of standing by managers after their tenure is evidently broken, infact given how we were evidently prepared to let Antonio see out his contract had Sarri been unatainable we are showing worrying signs of heading in that direction aswell.

3 hours ago, xPetrCechx said:

As it stands, I'm afraid that our squad is not near top 4... and we still can/will lose Tibo/Willian/Hazard, and want to sign an old average striker, mystery midfielder (Golovin) and a nothing special CB (Rugani)...

Right now bud if the 3 players you mentioned we are getting come off I couldn't be happier about it. OK Willian/Hazzard/Tibo need looking into closely but I reckon Hazard will be staying as RM wont pay what we ask for.

I think Golovin is heaven sent right now. Gives us an amazing CM. Hes as fit as Kante and more forward, Sarri bringing in Higuain and Rugani makes allot of sense. 2 players he knows extremely well and will know what he wants now with such a short time till his system needs to be used against Shitty.

I'm up for letting Sarri have all the room he needs as hes trying to turn the team into something completely different . Its changing completely what our last 2 managers has drilled into them. The defend at all costs approach. Its been told them so much theyve been confused their natural instincts. How can a team go from such free flowing goal scoring to having such a small GD and games without a shot on target?

Of course its going to be a difficult thing to do overnight and i do hope Roman gets on well with him - but we should support his decisions if he can make us play good football

3 hours ago, xPetrCechx said:

As it stands, I'm afraid that our squad is not near top 4... and we still can/will lose Tibo/Willian/Hazard, and want to sign an old average striker, mystery midfielder (Golovin) and a nothing special CB (Rugani)...

We are better than Arsenal, United have the famous Jose season 3 coming up and Spurs are currently having a transfer window that makes our 2015 one look amazing.

I think we will finish 3rd.

24 minutes ago, Tomo said:

We are better than Arsenal, United have the famous Jose season 3 coming up and Spurs are currently having a transfer window that makes our 2015 one look amazing.

I think we will finish 3rd.

We aren't making top 4 without Hazard and the same current crop of players (with Golovin & Rugani, providing join).

8 hours ago, Tomo said:

Looking with (extreme) hindsight you have to wonder if Jose leaving the first time was even a mistake. We defended a lot better but the attack was everybit as disjointed and clueless as the one he left in 2015, we all assumed he would have turned it around because well he's Mourinho, but looking how he's dealt with crisis periods since, could things have actually got worse? 

Mourinho 1.0? Possibly. It's only when we went to Madrid that he started to lose his mojo. And even if he hadn't left in 2007, he would still have done so at some point considering he had the desire to coach elsewhere back then.

10 hours ago, Tomo said:

They never seem to mention that other clubs namely Arsenal and post Fergie United have shown the perils of standing by managers after their tenure is evidently broken, infact given how we were evidently prepared to let Antonio see out his contract had Sarri been unatainable we are showing worrying signs of heading in that direction aswell.

I'm not worried about that.  

i haven't really regretted any of our managerial decisions.  Sure, Scolari and AVB did not end up being the right decision.  But, no one really stayed too long, IMO.

19 minutes ago, Sideshow Luiz said:

i haven't really regretted any of our managerial decisions.  Sure, Scolari and AVB did not end up being the right decision.  But, no one really stayed too long, IMO.

The only one that really suprized me was Ancelotti

1 minute ago, Sideshow Luiz said:

Here's a pretty good video of Napoli's loss to City at home in the Champions League last year.  Sure, it's a loss, but I'm posting it more for the analysis.

There will be a media frenzy when we play them in the CS. With Jorgi boy and student/pupil shit yoiu can see the headlines now. But with Pep well into implementing Sarriball with Shitty and us in a state of confusion and 1st stage evolution I'm not expecting allot from us.

BUT just imagine if we win! Yahoooooya!

33 minutes ago, Sideshow Luiz said:

Not sure if I'm in the minority but the biggest regret for me is that we didn't keep Benitez. 

I can understand the initial dislike of him coming in with his Liverpool ties but the crowd didn't warm to him mainly because of fake quotes spread around the internet years earlier. It was pathetic because he steadied what was a fast sinking ship under Di Matteo. The defence was far more solid, he was getting a better tune out of the likes of Hazard and Mata and even Torres was serviceable in his time.

I just felt after getting us comfortably in the top 4 and winning the Europa he deserved a chance if the fans hadn't hounded him out. Despite winning the league, Mourinho coming back was a disaster - tainted his legacy and left us selling some of our best young attacking players that we are yearning for still now.

12 minutes ago, Superblue_1986 said:

Not sure if I'm in the minority but the biggest regret for me is that we didn't keep Benitez. 

I can understand the initial dislike of him coming in with his Liverpool ties but the crowd didn't warm to him mainly because of fake quotes spread around the internet years earlier. It was pathetic because he steadied what was a fast sinking ship under Di Matteo. The defence was far more solid, he was getting a better tune out of the likes of Hazard and Mata and even Torres was serviceable in his time.

I just felt after getting us comfortably in the top 4 and winning the Europa he deserved a chance if the fans hadn't hounded him out. Despite winning the league, Mourinho coming back was a disaster - tainted his legacy and left us selling some of our best young attacking players that we are yearning for still now.

Even if you take the fans reaction out of the equation, hiring Benitez would still be a wrong decision. He's not a manager that's going to win you leagues or challenge consistently for the major trophies. He's only gonna win you a cup trophy here and there and nothing more. On top of that, Benitez doesn't play progressive football, is extremely rigid with his formation as he hardly uses anything other than 4-2-3-1. Let's not also forget that we played some turgid stuff under him (remember the 0-0 home game against Fulham?), threw away 2-0 leads a number of times and he made lots of like for like substitutions! The fact that he's barely linked with any of the top jobs these days says a lot about him when looking at hiring manager at the highest level.

Just now, Jason said:

Even if you take the fans reaction out of the equation, hiring Benitez would still be a wrong decision. He's not a manager that's going to win you leagues or challenge consistently for the major trophies. He's only gonna win you a cup trophy here and there and nothing more. On top of that, Benitez doesn't play progressive football, is extremely rigid with his formation as he hardly uses anything other than 4-2-3-1. Let's not also forget that we played some turgid stuff under him (remember the 0-0 home game against Fulham?), threw away 2-0 leads a number of times and he made lots of like for like substitutions! The fact that he's barely linked with any of the top jobs these days says a lot about when looking at hiring manager at the highest level.

I definitely wouldn't have him now. At the time though, i feel he deserved a full season after his interim stint to see what he could do. He has won the league previously with Valencia and with the greatest respect to his Liverpool tenure, he was never going to consistently challenge us and United at the time.

I think at the time he did what was needed which was to shore us up and get us a Champions League spot. It wasn't pretty at times but there was also some potential that could be seen there and we were in a transition phase trying to get the overall makeup of the squad younger.

I've always found it intriguing to wonder what his take on the squad would have been that summer with the likes of Lukaku and De Bruyne coming back from successful loan spells if he had retained them and integrated them into the squad where Mourinho didn't.

2 minutes ago, Jason said:

Even if you take the fans reaction out of the equation, hiring Benitez would still be a wrong decision. He's not a manager that's going to win you leagues or challenge consistently for the major trophies. He's only gonna win you a cup trophy here and there and nothing more. On top of that, Benitez doesn't play progressive football, is extremely rigid with his formation as he hardly uses anything other than 4-2-3-1. Let's not also forget that we played some turgid stuff under him (remember the 0-0 home game against Fulham?), threw away 2-0 leads a number of times and he made lots of like for like substitutions! The fact that he's barely linked with any of the top jobs these days says a lot about him when looking at hiring manager at the highest level.

Fat Spanish Wanker is trying to get a 10 year deal going. He wants a good transfer budget, change their academy and improve their training ground.

He would probably do well in Geordieland